PDA

View Full Version : STT shallow vs deep money

A_PLUS
02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
When I first came to 2+2, one of my first posts was how it was possible to beat a shallow money quick blind escalation small tourney (30 or less).

Well, thanks to this site, I am comfortable playing any structure, knowing I am more equipped to adjust my play.

But now that I had read TOP, and understand the game more fully I would like to revisit.

In shallow money games. When the blinds are still low enough not to cripple players, do you think you should be raising or trying to see cheap flops with marginal hands.

i.e. BB < 5%, and you are at a table that is overly apt to call a preflop raise. You have QJs in late position? See a cheap flop? How about AJo, in the middle? Is there ever a point to seeing a flop with Cash money gems like Axs, or small-mid PP?

Also does anyone bother attacking blinds, when the situation is promising if they are still relatively small?

Thanks

Scuba Chuck
02-11-2005, 02:29 AM
A+, is a shallow money game the same as a shallow chipped game?

Does someones' general answer to whether it's permissible to limp when blinds are small provide a clear picture that in subsequent rounds, blinds will be rising very rapidly?

Your last two questions are out of context. Especially your last question, which is much more tournament related than cash related. I think you will get most of your answers in the 1-Table tournament section and the Multi-table tournament section.

If you are looking for answers on how to effectively win Part Poker Sit N Gos, my concern here is that the field of expertise in this forum is the poker spectrum.

Your vague questions, will get you vague answers that may or may not "justify" the answers your are hoping to receive. My hope here is that you are not out looking for someone to give you the answer that you want to hear, vs. the answer that you need to hear.

Just some more humble opinions.

A_PLUS
02-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Thanks again Scube, but stop stalking me. I thought this a more theory related question. I may be wrong. I will be playing a live home game tourney this weekend, and was hoping for some discussion outside of the specific SNG talk. I misused cash in the last post. I meant shallow chipped.

I am playing in a tournament with some "action players" There idea of a good 30 person live game is one that ends in 2 and a half hours. The blinds start low 1.5% - 3% but double every half hour.

So my theoretical question is this. If you are one of 3-4 skilled players in a 20-30 man tourney with an unfavorable blind structure. Do you try to play as many hands as reasonable at the low levels, where you still have some play, or would you just preserve chips and hope you come out on top when you go all-in. Lets assume for arguements sake that if I could double my chips in the first 2 rounds, I would be a heavy favorite for the final 3 (all payout).

Paul2432
02-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Against loose players you can loosen up yourself a bit, but don't get carried away. You will need to use good judgement after the flop. My strategy would be to get in there and mix it up with the aggressive players if I was getting good cards. Like you said, if you can double up early you have a great chance to make the final 3.

On the other hand, there is no reason to force things if the cards aren't there. However, once your stack gets small(say <15x the BB) be ready to play aggressive. If you have a tight image, you should be able to pick up some pots uncontested and get some chips.

Paul

Scuba Chuck
02-12-2005, 02:20 AM
A+, I'm not stalking you, I also read this forum. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regarding your question, I really think you'll get the best advice posting in the MTT forum. There are far more experts there to answer this question.

FWIW, this is how I would play it. I'd play a lot of suited connectors like 67s, 87s, etc. I'd only play those from MP on back. And only if I could limp (maybe call a miniraise) with them. I'd memorize the odds of calling bets for a straight draw and the flush draw on the flop and the turn. And follow those rules very hard. IMO, disguised straights payoff the most, more than any other hand. (Assuming they are the nuts of course).

The other range of hands you've discussed before are fine as well. AJs+, KQs, generally tier 2 hands from Sklansky's book HEPFAP. Play weak tight. If you don't have the nuts, be careful. Try and keep pots small. Take many small pots, and avoid big pots.

Just a starter. Post this in MTT tho.

Scuba

TStoneMBD
02-12-2005, 02:39 AM
in a tournament with blinds that will escalate at a fast pace, ill raise it first in the pot with low suited cards no worse than 2 gappers. i havent read too much literature on tournament poker, because its not something that is on my priority list, but from my understanding, alot of people are split between playing very tight on early rounds and playing very loose. i side with the loose candidates. players like phil ivey have built a strategy to build a stack quickly or bust so that he can get some hours in at the cash games. i usually follow the same thoughts as cash games are more profitable for me.

lil_o
02-12-2005, 12:46 PM
It sounds like these 15-17 unskilled players are passive calling stations. Your best bet is see cheap flops with borderline hands and outplay them from there. I would even consider limping with Ax suited UTG if you are at the right table since it will induce more calling stations to see a cheap flop and increase your pot/implied odds.