PDA

View Full Version : Turbos

Ian
02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
I am a 30% ROI player in SNGs $100 and higher (have played more than 500 each at $100 and $200). I have never considered playing turbos. My play is quite adaptable to different styles, however. Am I missing anything by not exploring turbos? Intuitively, it seems not, but I thought I'd ask.

AtticusFinch
02-10-2005, 10:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am a 30% ROI player in SNGs $100 and higher (have played more than 500 each at $100 and $200). I have never considered playing turbos. My play is quite adaptable to different styles, however. Am I missing anything by not exploring turbos? Intuitively, it seems not, but I thought I'd ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you play at stars. My ROI was only slightly lower at the turbos, and they end much faster, so my hourly rate was better. Still not as good as PP, though.

This was at the 33s/25s. Higher than than, I have no clue, but I don't see why the same shouldn't apply.

codewarrior
02-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Get back to me when you have either:

(a) a significant sample size
(b) self honesty

Gigabet
02-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Do you change your style of play or overall strategy in the turbos?

willie24
02-11-2005, 01:17 AM
yes, they are fast. i find very little difference in difficulty. if you value time, try them.

AtticusFinch
02-11-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you change your style of play or overall strategy in the turbos?

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat. There always seem to be a couple of wackos intent on busting out in the first 5 hands in the turbos, so I play even tighter than normal in the beginning. These guys either bust out quick, or build huge stacks. I actually prefer the latter, as it gives me a chance to double through them when I catch a hand. They never seem to notice that I've folded the last 15 in a row.

Other than that, I play about the same as I normally do at Stars, which is significantly different from how I play at Party, by the way, at least in the early/middle game. The bigger stacks and smaller table allow more time to catch reads on people, and more opportunities to try high variance/speculative plays, even at the turbos. The higher rate of competent players paradoxically often makes decisions easier, because it's easier to put folks on hands. It also allows for many more bluffing opportunities, and with the higher stacks, you can afford to bluff and lose a couple of times, then capitalize on the advertising. That means you get much more "real" poker in a Stars SNG. More chances to manipulate your table image, mess with people's heads, etc. That's why Stars is more fun to me.

I've only played about 200 turbos, though, so I'd hardly call myself an authority. I cut my teeth on the regular $33s.

-AF

willie24
02-11-2005, 01:20 AM
because you haven't seen it done does not mean it can't be done. does his precise ROI change the question much anyway?

come off it.