PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 3's on a small stack

young nut
02-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Sorry I don't have the hand history for this, but it isn't too complicated. Late stages of a 20+2 stars tourni. 620 players down to top 45. Blinds at 600/1200, avg. stack 22,000.

I'm dealt 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif in the small blind with my stack at 7000.

Big stack at the table limps in late position, folded around to me on the SB. What should I do here? btw...not many reads on the big stack, I was moved to the table recently and only had about 2 or 3 orbits.

young nut
02-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Ok since not much feedback has come, let me tell you the options that I was thinking at the time.

1. just complete in the sb and push a raggedy flop

2. push in preflop

any advice on the best strategy here? The only other option that I didn't think of at the time was min raising to get BB out, but that didn't make much sense. To me it was either pushing or just calling.

adanthar
02-10-2005, 11:37 PM
If I complete, I don't push any flop. I may CR an LP bet if the board is complete rags, but I don't open push.

I think that's what I wind up doing since I'm getting in for cheap, but I don't fault a push.

SoCalPat
02-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I'd push PF. Your odds of doubling up here are far more greater if you do, as the big stack could call with just about anything.

But if you wait for the flop to push, you're either going to get the villian to fold, in which you gain nothing additional, or he calls you and you're almost certain to be beaten (unless you flopped a set).

In other words, I push PF because I've got to feel good I've got the best hand, and if the big stack calls with an inferior hand, it's him that's making the mistake, not me. If he calls with K4o and spikes a 4, that sucks, but I can live with knowing I got my money in when I was ahead.

young nut
02-10-2005, 11:42 PM
What do you think about the preflop strategy for this hand though? Do you think it would be best to push preflop, raise PF, or just complete? That is what has been racking my brain.