PDA

View Full Version : PokerTracker Database Max Size.

goodguy_1
02-10-2005, 06:46 PM
I datamine pretty much constantly when I'm not playing.I create separate databases for dataming.Each time I get up to about 200K-250K hands total in a database the whole process just becomes to damn slow.Anybody get significantly more hands than that on one databse?
I'm too lazy to to inquire on the PT forums just curious?

mmbt0ne
02-10-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone starts to get pretty slow around that number. At least, that's what I remember seeing around these forums before.

MicroBob
02-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Yes....I've seen the number 200k tossed about quite a bit on these and the p-tracker forums as the realisitic max
data-base size.

Pat says he's working to improve on this however so maybe he'll come up with something to make it a 1-million hand database max perhaps.

Some others have said that they have struggles even after only 100k hands or so.

goodguy_1
02-11-2005, 01:36 AM
gotcha ty

pfkaok
02-11-2005, 01:46 AM
pretty sure its just the max size constraint of 1 gig... if you have only observed hands i think you can have kind of a lot. I have a little over 200k in a db now, and about 50k of it is my hands, so those take up more space. anyways, its only about 2/3 full, so if it was only observed hands i think you could have much more. this is for 6max games though, so they might also take up less space. I don't know.

mmbt0ne
02-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Observed hands don't contain the hand history itself, just the players' actions (at least if you set it up right). That means the db can hold a lot more hands.

Pokeraddict
02-11-2005, 03:13 AM
From Poker Tracker forum, the same question was asked.

Link to thread at Pokertracker forum (http://www.pokertracker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3477)

[ QUOTE ]
The max size of the db is 2GB which is about 400,000+ hands. The total hands in the db can be found on the summary tab of the ring stats window. Depending on your pc's performance, you may find you need to create a new db before reaching the max size of the db.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoe
02-11-2005, 07:02 AM
With all the money rolling in, maybe Pat can afford to upgrade from MS Access to SQL Server.

EDIT: Not sure if each client could have their own SQL Server database, so maybe i'm talking out my a$$

moondogg
02-11-2005, 08:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
With all the money rolling in, maybe Pat can afford to upgrade from MS Access to SQL Server.

EDIT: Not sure if each client could have their own SQL Server database, so maybe i'm talking out my a$$

[/ QUOTE ]

To use SQL Server, each client would either have to have it's own copy of SQL Server or would have to communicate with a centeralized server that Pat or somebody else hosts.
For a local copy, every person would have to purchase a license for SQL Server, which would be way too expensive. For a centralized copy, the host would have have to purchase an even more expensive enterprise site license, there would be limits to how many clients it could practically support, and the communication time would make realtimes inpractical.

However, MS does have a product called Microsoft Desktop Engine (MSDE), which a freely downloadable/distributable stripped-down version of SQL Server, specifically for supporting desktop applications. It does not contain all of the functionality, but more than enought for PT's needs. Deploying it would be tricky but not impossibile, it would require a lot of thorough design and testing of the PT's installation package. Additionally, I'm pretty sure that PT, PV and GT+ are hardwired to use Access, so changing the datasource would probably require a significant rewrite of each of those programs.