PDA

View Full Version : Preflop hand %

RedeemerKing
02-10-2005, 06:23 PM
When it is 88 vs. AQ it is somewhere aroung 55-45. How do you figure this out. Is there any quick way to calculate what the odds are. On TV I understand the numbers after the flop, but I just wanna know if there is a way to get them preflop, quickly in your head?

binions
02-10-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When it is 88 vs. AQ it is somewhere aroung 55-45. How do you figure this out. Is there any quick way to calculate what the odds are. On TV I understand the numbers after the flop, but I just wanna know if there is a way to get them preflop, quickly in your head?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just playing with pokerstove or some holdem calculator until you get a feel for it.

The main factors are:

How many straights can the overcards make?
Are the overcards suited?

8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif is 55% against A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, but 52% v. A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif

But J /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/spade.gif is 52% over 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif because of all the straights and flushes it can make.

Remember Amarillo Slim's old proposition bet. He gave you the choice of AKo, JTs or 22. If you took 22, he took JTs. If you took AKo, he took 22. If you took JTs, he took AKo.