PDA

View Full Version : Discipline prevails over Reading!

joao_,martins
02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
I was playing a 1/2 NL HOLD EM cash game... I held wired 10's versus one opponenet who raised MP and im SB.
FLOP: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
I bet 12 into a 18 pot... MP raises to 36.
Im on the phone with a friend and I say I am positive he has Kings or Aces... hes been playing them fast in order to keep them from getting cracked it seems. All of the sudden some annoying voice in my head kept saying push it, maybe he is bluffing and if he isnt he may not even call. I have i have 84 total, so id be putting a third bet for 60 more. So I do and he calls me with Kings. Turn and river no help.
Anyhow, what I just made apparent is that i have decent enough reading skills to realize when to throw a premium hand away... but for some reason after two years of extensive playing it still seems like i lack the discipline to. This happens often with me it seems. And it seems to happen mostly by overplaying premium pre-flop hands.
I would think after 2 years of play my discipline wouldnt be the problem... but it has costed me a lot of money.
So my question is, are there any sort of mental exercises or certain steps any of you go through in order to either improve your discipline or just plain keep it in control?

schwza
02-10-2005, 05:34 PM
you probably want to post this in the psychology forum, or at least in the small stakes PL/NL.