PDA

View Full Version : $50 PayPal for $50 Neteller???

golgi11
02-10-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm looking to send someone $50 PayPal in exchange for $50 Neteller.

PM or post if you can help me out.

Thanks

HRFats
02-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Before I offer to do this can someone tell me the risks involved?

PoorLawyer
02-10-2005, 03:45 PM
none if you get yours first. all if you don't.

AngryCola
02-10-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Before I offer to do this can someone tell me the risks involved?

[/ QUOTE ]

There shouldn't be any.

But it's kind of a weird request.
I would want to know why he couldn't just transfer the money himself.

PAYPAL> BANK> NETELLER

I would guess he's probably in a hurry.

Ask questions, but I doubt you'll get burned on this one.

*EDIT*
Yeah, what PoorLawyer said. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

HRFats
02-10-2005, 03:57 PM
OK - question for OP. Why can't you do as suggested above? Paypal --> Bank --> Neteller?

pokeraz
02-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Stolen credit card to fund paypal. Send money to you. You send yours in return. Two weeks down the road, credit card is charged back to paypal who then charges it back to you. You're out $50.

Not saying that is what is going on here, but it is a very common scam.

Synergistic Explosions
02-10-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stolen credit card to fund paypal. Send money to you. You send yours in return. Two weeks down the road, credit card is charged back to paypal who then charges it back to you. You're out $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. Usually the scammers will offer a nice little premium on top of it also. Say 60 for 50 or in that range.

AngryCola
02-10-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not aware of this. I would think they wouldn't hold your account responsible for the money, but obviosuly my assumption is incorrect.

Definitely worry about this.

HRFats
02-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Ah screw it. It's not even worth it!!

axioma
02-10-2005, 04:58 PM
no offence Angrycola, but its pretty irresposnsible to offer advice on something like this when its clear youre not really %100 about the situation.

i know you were just trying to help, but this is a pretty old scam. paypal transactions can be cancelled and the money returned very easilly.

i have no clue if the OP was intending to do this, but the correct answer is: yes, it is very risky.

AngryCola
02-10-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no offence Angrycola

[/ QUOTE ]

None taken.

I was simply unaware the companies handled those situations in that manner.

Btw, if I'm wrong or whatever, I never hesitate to admit it.
In this case, I was obviously wrong. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

axioma
02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
cool - i didnt want to be a dick about it.

i just think that advice on situations like this really needs to be absolutly correct - ive been on the receiving end of something simalar once and it sucked /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Shoe
02-11-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking to send someone $50 PayPal in exchange for $50 Neteller.

PM or post if you can help me out.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to be very careful when accepting paypal payments, because if the account they are sending money from was hacked or using a stolen credit card, paypal will reverse the transaction and you will be out the money and there will be nothing you can do about it.

If you do this, you would want to get something for your time, and for saving the dude's time that wants the money transferred, becase as someone else posted, he can go from paypal -> bank -> neteller.

Also, if you do this, one way to eliminate 99% of the paypal fraud is by following the following steps:

1. When they send payment, make them include their confirmed paypal shipping address (this is an option when sending payment). If the address is confirmed, then it matches the address on their credit card.

2. Request the home telephone number of the person making the transaction.

3. Look up the phone number to make sure it is from the same area as the address, at a site like this one (http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/phonelocation.asp)

4. Call the phone number to make sure it is a real number, ask for the person on the name of the paypal account to make sure they are aware of the transaction.

These steps eliminate about 99% of the fraud. Most scammers using stolen accounts will not be able to provide you with a phone number in the same region as the confirmed shipping address, and most will give up once you start requesting information like that.

If they aren't willing to provide that information, then it just isn't worth the risk. Especially in this example where they want you to do it for free.

krazyace5
02-11-2005, 07:22 AM
Even if it is an legitimate funded paypal account the person can get the paypal money transaction reversed.

CountDuckula
02-11-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if it is an legitimate funded paypal account the person can get the paypal money transaction reversed.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But if you follow the steps above, you know where they live.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

groo
02-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Kind of interesting that the OP hasn't responded 20 hrs later...........

HRFats
02-11-2005, 01:49 PM
If the account has a confirmed address then you could send an evelope with a blank piece of paper in it to the confirmed address. Make sure to buy the Delivery Confirmation and you are 100% protected by paypal. And yes, no response is very suspicious.

Shoe
02-11-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True.... occassionaly someone will try to reverse their own money, but almost every case of fraud i have seen has been with a stolen paypal account, hence why I said it reduces almost all of the fraud, not all of it completely. If you are making an extra 10-20% on top of the transaction, those steps would reduce the risk enough to make it +EV.

bigredlemon
02-11-2005, 07:29 PM
don't forget the huge fees paypal will charge you for recieving money. someone sent me $10 and paypal dinged me 8%

illunious
02-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Some guy took me with this scam back when I traded on MTGO, I thought it was pretty clever. I'm not saying OP is a scammer, and I think it's likely he's not, this thread just reminded me of it.

1. Scammer contacts a buyer (A)
2. Scammer contacts a seller (B)
3. The scammer gives A person B's account info
4. A sends B the payment for an item
5. B sends the scammer the item