PDA

View Full Version : Use a condom. (protection post)

jaxUp
02-10-2005, 02:20 PM
UTG is pretty awful. Right now he is at 93/64 after 15 hands. Obviously 15 hands is nothing, but we are seeing a bit of a trend here /images/graemlins/wink.gif
The other two players involved are largely unknown quantities.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

I think that this preflop call could have been a bit too loose, given the 2 limpers. My thinking was, that people's calling standards would go down on a raise from UTG as he was obviously raising way too much.

Flop: (9 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

I wanted to protect my hand here. I figured I was ahead of UTG now, but he is a raising fiend, so I bet out, hoping he would be kind enough to raise it for me. He did, of course, but the other two called. I decided then, that nobody was leaving on a 3-bet, so I now decide to bet out on any turn.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Well, it got one of these jokers out. Maybe I should have 3-bet. Can't decide. Help here, please.

River: (14.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

easy bet.

What do you think of my attempts to protect here? 3-bet the turn? comments appreciated.
Final Pot: 17.50 BB

QTip
02-10-2005, 02:22 PM
93/64....not familiar with what this is referring to yet..

QTip
02-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I would have 3 bet the flop and see if he caps.

Bet the turn and call a raise

Bet the river and call a raise (maybe reraise depending on agression rating).

That's me

TwoShedsJackson
02-10-2005, 02:24 PM
93% vp$ip (voluntarily put money in pot), and 64% raised preflop. Even after 15 hands enough to see the player is a little maniacal /images/graemlins/smile.gif

As to the hand itself, well played.

mmbt0ne
02-10-2005, 02:27 PM
96 VP$IP
64 PFR

I don't see any other way to play this hand really. I like all streets, especially the call on the flop and bet on the turn. Nice river card too.

About 3-betting the turn, what do you have button on? I'm guessing a weaker A that hasn't paired. UTG could have anything it looks like with those numbers, but you don't give his aggression numbers. If he was above 1.5 or 2 postflop aggression then I think a 3bet would be a good play, if not, the call is the right play.

QTip
02-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Holy cow! I thought those stats would be the one posted, but I've never seen a 64% PFR. That's crazy.

jaxUp
02-10-2005, 02:29 PM
I was torn on 3-betting the turn. AF was 1.4. As for button, I did have him on a weaker A.

Sarge85
02-10-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn: (8.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls.

Well, it got one of these jokers out. Maybe I should have 3-bet. Can't decide. Help here, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dicounting UTG, and focousing on the button, I think since the button only called, you can raise here. Most flushes would have raised the turn.

UTG could have a flush, but give that he's LAG, assuming that he has one now isn't good, so I'm betting for value.

RIver bet was standard

NH

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

mmbt0ne
02-10-2005, 02:33 PM
I probably call, but I don't think 3-betting would be an huge mistake/better play. I'll say call because with those numbers you don't want to get capped by the maniac.

vulturesrow
02-10-2005, 02:42 PM
Please PM me UTG's handle. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyhow I thought you played it just fine for the most part. Here are some alternate thoughts I had.

Flop: I dont see that your hand necessarily needs much protection here. I wouldve considered a checkraise to trap the field for some more bets. I think its worth discussion, I could easily be wrong.

Turn: I probably wouldve 3 bet. If one of the other two comes alive, you can put them on the flush. Obviously, UTG deserves very little credit for the flush. You have a nice redraw here, which influenced me to the 3 bet.

River: Again Im tempted to checkraise. But youd hate for it to get checked through. But the C/r is tempting, and I am by no means a compulsive check raiser.

jaxUp
02-10-2005, 02:45 PM
I feel like such an IDIOT!! I just realized that I could have probably pulled off a PERFECT trifecta here. Damn it. I really blew this hand and will try to improve this skill.

sy_or_bust
02-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Question: is there anything wrong with a turn check/raise here? It's obvious this won't be checked through, and the c/r attempts to trap 2 callers in-between for at least 1 BB. Plus, if Button/CO raises, you can simply call. Between UTG + passive callers I have no problem 3-betting or capping this turn...I feel like your hand is that strong, and the flush redraw is almost always to the best hand.

jaxUp
02-10-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Question: is there anything wrong with a turn check/raise here? It's obvious this won't be checked through, and the c/r attempts to trap 2 callers in-between for at least 1 BB. I have no problem 3-betting or capping this turn...I feel like your hand is that strong, and the flush redraw is almost always to the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer: I think that a turn c/r might be pretty good. I think I am still more comfortable with betting it, but I probably should have 3-bet the turn here.

Sarge85
02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

River: Again Im tempted to checkraise. But youd hate for it to get checked through. But the C/r is tempting, and I am by no means a compulsive check raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like a C/R attempt here. Get Paid!

vulturesrow
02-10-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like such an IDIOT!! I just realized that I could have probably pulled off a PERFECT trifecta here. Damn it. I really blew this hand and will try to improve this skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I didnt recommend a trifecta. I just wanted to discuss the why or why not on the flop. The only reason I thought it might be valid on the river is that with those stats, you can reasonably expect UTG to bet and then get a call, allowing you to get a few extra bets on a river. I actually like the way you played the flop and the river, but with a player like this, C/R comes to mind for me.

vulturesrow
02-10-2005, 02:57 PM
Sarge,

I agree. The only reason I even thought about it is the crazy stats of UTG. But losing 2BB here because it got chekced through is obviously bad.

jaxUp
02-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Haha. I know you didn't recommend a trifecta, but I have always wanted to get a perfect one. I don't really think that a river c/r is a good idea though. with an AF of just 1.4 I think that a 4-flush is still enought to scare this guy into checking it through, and I want his $$.