PDA

View Full Version : Playing poker abroad and paying taxes

Philuva
02-10-2005, 01:32 PM
I am going to be in France for a month visiting my brother. While I am there I will be playing poker.

If I played online in france, and won money while there, and the money was never repatriated to the u.s., would it be taxable? I would withdraw money to a french bank, and spend that money while in europe.

Anyone have any thoughts or know where I could find more information about this?

Note: I am not looking to do anything illegal. I report all of my winnings in the US on a quarterly basis, but at the same time if I am not required to pay taxes while playing poker abroad, then I feel no moral obligation to pay taxes on those winnings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

johnfromvirginia
02-10-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you are liable for tax in the United States for any money you make anywhere in the world, but you get a credit against your US tax liability for any foreign taxes that you have paid on your foreign-source income.

spadeclub99
02-10-2005, 03:45 PM
The United States, alone amoung all countries in the world, taxes its citizens on all worldwide income. This is the case regardless of your residency, such that even if you have not stepped foot in the US in 20 years and your income has no link to the US, you are still liable for US taxes on that income. It can be offset by various deductions you can take and credit you can get for foreign taxes paid, but it still must be declared as gross income.

CostaRicaBill
02-10-2005, 03:49 PM
If you used your French bank account to cash checks sent to you by your site is there any way the IRS could find out?

Niediam
02-10-2005, 03:51 PM
It is 100% - without a doubt - taxible income.

D.H.
02-10-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you used your French bank account to cash checks sent to you by your site is there any way the IRS could find out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously this is irrelevant. He made it very clear that he just wants to do what he is supposed to do, according to the law.

lostinthought
02-11-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is 100% - without a doubt - taxible income.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is 100% - without a doubt - "taxable".

Niediam
02-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Crap... I was hoping it could take me to work tomorrow /images/graemlins/frown.gif