PDA

View Full Version : Drills to put players on hands?

Shorty35
02-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know of any tools (other than logging hours watching/playing games) that would be helpful to improve my ability to quickly put players on a range of hands? With thought, I can usually get to a reasonable range (as MLG and others seem to be able to do so quickly); but it would seem to me that some derivative of the Wilson software, or a book, or something else might be available to drill me the same way that my 2nd grade teacher used to.

J-Lo
02-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I think this is what makes the interenet poker so great. You can play 240/hr very comfortabely. Experience is the best teacher. And i know of no other way to learn hand reading than really concentrating in a tournament enviroment.

Shorty35
02-10-2005, 01:28 PM
This really is the art of poker. But if anyone knows how to reduce it to a science, I figure it would be the posters in this forum /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MLG
02-10-2005, 01:56 PM
I generally start with a default range and adjust from there. For example, if I open raise UTG and get reraised my default range of hands of the reraiser is AK, AA, KK, QQ. Now, depending on the situation (stack size, player read, stage of tournament) I might loosen this range and include JJ, 10, AQ or maybe more. Conversely my default range for somebody who raises UTG is AA-99, AK-AJ, maybe KQ. Of course you need to be observant of players and situations because there are times when there ranges are very inaccurate, but starting with a default range and then adjusting is how I go about it.

woodguy
02-10-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
or something else might be available to drill me the same way that my 2nd grade teacher used to.

[/ QUOTE ]

*shudder*

Your 2nd grade teacher should be locked up.

Regards,
Woodguy

P.S. I know my response belongs in OOT, but I couldn't resist

Ulysses
02-10-2005, 02:10 PM
There is one simple drill and it's very easy. When you're playing in a game (or watching a game), put the players in the hand on hands. The Internet is great for this. Not only do you get to see lots of hands per hour, in most of the games you get to see all shown down hands by getting a hand history. This is, IMO, the best way to figure out if you're ready to move to a new/higher game. Spend a little time watching the game and put all the players on hands. If you know what they have a lot of the time, the game should be pretty easy for you.

Shorty35
02-10-2005, 04:13 PM
thx; very helpful.