PDA

View Full Version : KJs in MP, flop nut flush draw

gvibes
02-10-2005, 01:04 PM
I've been playing mostly SNG's lately, but I'm off to Vegas soon, where I'll likely be playing a lot of low limit, so I'm trying to work on my limit game.

In the following hand, I'm pretty sure I misplayed at least two streets. Table was relatively tight (~40% seeing flops). Also, guess what MP3 turns over.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

davelin
02-10-2005, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't cap the river. Everything else looks good to me.

Edit - Ah yes, just bet out the river next time.

jaxUp
02-10-2005, 01:11 PM
I really like the flop c/r, trapping the field, given your position to the pf raiser. Turn is fine. On the river I might just bet out here. I don't want MP3 to get scared of the flush draw and let it check through. Calling the 3-bet might be a better option than capping HU.

Nick Royale
02-10-2005, 01:13 PM
PF: I would raise here, but I don't mind limping.

Flop: Perfect!

Turn: Nice.

River: I'll probably just bet out on this river, hoping MP3 will raise and trap MP2. Given the way you played I like your cap.

If you lost it must have been to slowplayed TT's or quads, no?

Nick Royale
02-10-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't cap the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you put MP3 on?

gvibes
02-10-2005, 01:27 PM
My thoughts, looking back:
pre-flop - I should probably raise this

flop - given that I didn't raise pre-flop, but the guy behind me did raise pre-flop, the flop check-raise is a no-brainer, and works to perfection

turn - I thought of betting out, but on further reflection, why would I bet out? I have no fold equity three-way, and even if both call, I don't think I quite have the pot-equity to bet it out. So, I think check/call is right there.

river - I like the idea of betting out in the hopes of trapping MP2 for another bet. If MP3 raises, do I 3-bet, or go for an overcall?

On to cap or not - I can't really put MP3 on any hand that beats me that wouldn't come alive preflop or on the flop. Definitely no AA. 22 and 1010 are possibilities, but I would expect to hear from sets on the flop with a flush draw out there. 210 wouldn't play against a raise. So that leaves A2. On the other hand, what sort of hand 3-bets the river after a turn check/caller comes alive when a flush draw hits? A lower flush? QTh, maybe?

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
I just bought poker tracker, but I'm not used to paying much attention to the numbers on MP3. After the hand, I realized that MP3 was super-passive. As such, the cap was clearly incorrect. I was still shocked by what he turned over.
Hero has Jh Kh (flush, ace high).
MP3 has Ad Ac (full house, aces full of twos).
Outcome: MP3 wins 19.25 BB. </font>

davelin
02-10-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't cap the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you put MP3 on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hard to say, could be a flush or a boat.

Nick Royale
02-10-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hard to say, could be a flush or a boat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that's what I was thinking to. Slowplayed TT's or 2's is the only reasonable thing that beats hero here. There are only 4 combinations of those so a cap can't be to bad IMO.

davelin
02-10-2005, 01:45 PM
True there are more ways to make a flush than a boat here. But is the non-nut flush 3-betting here? Maybe, depends on reads but it makes it a closer decision between whether he has a boat or flush. That's why the bet out is better, potentially traps the other player and you can go for the overall on the raise.

gvibes
02-10-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's why the bet out is better, potentially traps the other player and you can go for the overall on the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line a lot - bet out, and then go for the overcall.

QTip
02-10-2005, 02:15 PM
I feel this should be a PF raise hand here in MP1 with 1 caller in EP.

Love the flop play

Turn is fine

I would have bet the river...value bet because I hate to see this get checked through. I think he would have put you on a flush draw

However...he's gunning on the river, so it didn't matter there, but I think a lot of people without a huge hand would have checked the river fearing your flush.

I probably would have capped the river as well..however, it was probably a mistake, and I'm learning to cool down a bit on these bigger streets with a paired board and a flush.

I'm guessing pocket 2s

gvibes
02-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I mentioned the results in a post above. He had pocket aces.

QTip
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
ahhh...yeah..what was I thinking...he raise PF...should've guessed TT.

gvibes
02-10-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ahhh...yeah..what was I thinking...he raise PF...should've guessed TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he actually didn't raise preflop. MP2 did. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I realized afterwards that MP3 (aces guy and hand winner) was super-passive.

QTip
02-10-2005, 02:25 PM
gotcha. Not raising Pocket Rockets...what's this world coming to?

vulturesrow
02-10-2005, 02:47 PM
I have had this happen to me on Party several times just within the past few days. This is the ultimate in sophisticated fish strategy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif