PDA

View Full Version : A read on the average $3/6 NLHE player

doubleas
02-10-2005, 11:42 AM
My reads have been off lately so I'd like a little feedback.

It doesn't matter what I have or how the hand ends. I'd like to hear what range of hands you put this player on. I have no read on the player. He just arrived at the table and I've never seen him before.

He starts the hand with $560. I have $500.

He limps UTG ($6). I raise to $30 and he calls after one other caller. The flop is Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Pot is $93. I bet $80. Other player folds. UTG flat calls.

What range of hands do you put him on?

Thanks

gomberg
02-10-2005, 11:58 AM
I'd put him on a set, AKh, AQ, 9T or KT suited possibly. It's always possible he could have AA-KK, but unlikely. A5h would be a possibility as well.

Pretty much decide what type of pot you want to play if you have no read, and use your position to maximize the chances you get that pot (big, medium, small, etc.).

LuvDemNutz
02-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Also QJs.

AZK
02-10-2005, 12:02 PM
You're joking right? This is like asking how high is the sky...

Anyway, for fun: If he is straightforward and non-tricky and doesn't understand the importance of position, i.e. he is willing to limp with "playable hands": any two hearts, QQ, JJ, 55, KT, AQ, AJ, QJ, T9, AK.

If he is a smart aggressive tricky player. Any two cards.

Usagi_yo
02-10-2005, 12:11 PM
T9, KT, JT, J9, KJ, QT, Q9, AJ, AT, A5, AX/images/graemlins/heart.gif XX/images/graemlins/heart.gif, not neccessarily in that particular order

doubleas
02-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Perhaps you're right. Against good players, it is very hard to put them on a hand. The same goes for bad players.

The difficult part for me is that I run into both great players and newbies and find it hard to maximize my earnings when I think they're weak. Conversely I lose too much when I can't put my opponent on a hand that beats me because I assumed they wouldn't call a big raise out of position with trash.

AZK
02-10-2005, 05:50 PM
When in doubt, bet. I find it works very well, but I'm a jammer. When I'm in a pot, it's expensive. You'll soon realize who's good and who isn't. The good players start to check-raise you, the bad players keep calling/folding.