PDA

View Full Version : Trip 5s top kicker

QTip
02-10-2005, 09:14 AM
I'd like comments on any street please.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG calls.

River: (12.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

jaxUp
02-10-2005, 09:36 AM
I probably fold pf. You can probably play it if there are regularly 5-7 to the flop, and the table PFR is very low. I generally will only consider limping it out of EP. flop play is good, as is he turn. I can't decide on the river. There are two possible reasons that CO will wake up like this after capping the flop. He either has made his full house, or he has trips and was worried about the flush draw, and now that it's missed he feels safe again. I think you maybe want to just call the raise, but I'm not too sure.

topspin
02-10-2005, 09:38 AM
A read on CO is pretty important here.

Against an unknown I like your play all the way until the river. With the flop/turn action it should be clear to CO that you have at least trips. When he wakes up again on the river, you have to give him credit for something better than just the set (75 sooted perhaps?). If CO is a good player, I'd be less worried since most of the hands that beat you should either have folded preflop or raised.

EDIT: FWIW I thought the preflop limp was fine.

QTip
02-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Sorry jaxup...should have put a read on the table. This table was the loosest I could find this morning. This was about 6 handed most every hand. I did loosen up EP.

Again, my river play is poor, and I'm trying to adjust. I had put him on a flush draw on the flop, just jamming the pot. Once he came back at me on the river, I think I should have just called.

Sometimes I find myself in a raising frenzy on the river, and not stopping to think.

QTip
02-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Villian had Q5os....for the boat on the turn.

davelin
02-10-2005, 11:24 AM
I can see why your river aggression is so high.

QTip
02-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Yep..that's it.

GrunchCan
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Check-raise the turn. Bet-call the river.

vulturesrow
02-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Anyone that plays Q5 deserves to be on your buddy list. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: I misread, thought Q5 was the UTG. Even in the CO, he still deserves to be on your buddy list.

davelin
02-10-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that plays Q5 UTG deserves to be on your buddy list. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

CO but whatever

QTip
02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Also, although I don't have the exact #, I think my variance is pretty high. This seems to make sense to me with my high aggression ratings on the turn and river as well...does that make sense?

QTip
02-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Check/raise the turn....

I'm not sure I get that...

On the flop I've put him on a flush draw, why would I want to give a free card?

davelin
02-10-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Check/raise the turn....

I'm not sure I get that...

On the flop I've put him on a flush draw, why would I want to give a free card?

[/ QUOTE ]

Capping the flop is a strange way to play the flush draw. It looks more like trips or (less likely) the flopped boat. Given the flop action, Villain will probably bet the turn, allowing you to check-raise and trap another player between you.

At least that's the theory.

crownjules
02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that plays Q5 deserves to be on your buddy list. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

EDIT: I misread, thought Q5 was the UTG. Even in the CO, he still deserves to be on your buddy list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just plays, CAPS with it. Sheesh.

QTip
02-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Capping the flop is a strange way to play the flush draw.

Really....?

If I had Axs with a four flush, I would have happily capped the flop. Gives you a chance at a free card (though not alltogether likely) and you have pot equity with 36% to make your flush and putting 33% of the money in the pot.

BradleyT
02-10-2005, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Really....?

If I had Axs with a four flush, I would have happily capped the flop. Gives you a chance at a free card (though not alltogether likely) and you have pot equity with 36% to make your flush and putting 33% of the money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your flush is good. With this kind of action you need to discount your flush outs which gives you less than 36% equity.

davelin
02-10-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Really....?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be happily wrong. Capping will probably fold out someone (which it did here) cutting into your equity advantage. There's a good chance you won't get the free card on the turn and with a paired board, your flush won't always be good.

QTip
02-10-2005, 12:01 PM
aahh...good point.

QTip
02-10-2005, 12:02 PM
happily wrong....probably happens more often than I like to think /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

GrunchCan
02-10-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I had Axs with a four flush, I would have happily capped the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably a little too aggressive. Now, I don't want to give the impression that NFDs shouldn't be played aggressively. They definitely should. But I'll usually stop raising at a 3-bet; after that, I'll call.

If a 2-flush is on board and there's lots of action from your opponents, what sorts of hands would they normally have? They could have TPTK or a set, sure. But they could also have a flush draw just like you. What's more, opponents with 2P or trips are also drawing to a FH, which beats your nut flush. The NFD has every other FD trumped, but don't forget that they also have some of your suit. Your odds to complete, and therefore your equity, go down somewhat with each opponent's raise.

It's very often (usually) correct to call a cap with the NFD. But capping yourself is probably -EV.

QTip
02-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Great point...really there's not much positive about a 3-bet coming to your NFD except the fact that if it hits, the pot is bigger.

Thanks...