PDA

View Full Version : AQ from SB, flops an A

morberg
02-10-2005, 06:49 AM
Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (8.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

Things to consider: pre-flop raise or not? I figured not since I could probably not drive out any callers. By raising pre-flop I would give drawing hands better pot odds, which I don't want if I hit the flop - or do I?

Should I try for a CR on the flop instead of betting out?

Other comments?

Nick Royale
02-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Bet the river.

abacusse
02-10-2005, 07:14 AM
I would not raise PF because - as you say - you are not gonna drive anybody out.
Definitely try a check-raise.
River? I would not bet considering high cards and flush possibility. Would call though.

jaxUp
02-10-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely try a check-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely do not try a c/r. With nobody showing aggression pf, there is no reason to expect that somebody is going to bet this flop. It is disastrous if it gets checked through and another heart hits the turn. Easy bet out for me.

Nick Royale
02-10-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely do not try a c/r. With nobody showing aggression pf, there is no reason to expect that somebody is going to bet this flop. It is disastrous if it gets checked through and another heart hits the turn. Easy bet out for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup.

abacusse
02-10-2005, 07:56 AM
IMO, at this level PF aggression (or the lack of rather) doesnt mean there isnt a good chance somebody will bet...especially with so many limping in...
In theory it is definitely right NOT to check-raise but I would argue that at this level in combination with the amount of limpers it is not completely out of order to try a check-raise...

Elbie
02-10-2005, 08:32 AM
You should have raised preflop. Not because you hope to drive anyone out, but because you have a very strong (and probably the best) hand.

Flop is a must bet as you played it and even more so if you had raised preflop

davelin
02-10-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely try a check-raise

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible advice!

BradleyT
02-10-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have raised preflop. Not because you hope to drive anyone out, but because you have a very strong (and probably the best) hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your poor position throughout the hand often negates the value of your semi-strong hand. I'd just complete with this many limpers. AQo is good but it's far from a great hand.

morberg
02-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all comments. For the record, the results of the hand (in white):
<font color="white"> UTG shows 6h4h and wins with a flush. </font>

Shillx
02-11-2005, 08:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your poor position throughout the hand often negates the value of your semi-strong hand. I'd just complete with this many limpers. AQo is good but it's far from a great hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are leaving too much on the table by not raising this preflop. Like .5 SB worth of value. And if someone has limped with a truely trashy hand like J5o then not raising would be a crime imo.

Brad

adsman
02-11-2005, 08:03 AM
I would have most certainly raised this preflop.

1. You could knock out the BB.
2. You're not raising just to knock anyone out. You have a nice preflop edge and you should exploit it. This is a value bet becuase you have positive EV. You're getting more money in the pot when you have the best of it.