PDA

View Full Version : Playing with Cowboys in Early Position

BigDan9
02-10-2005, 06:19 AM
Not much info on the Villain, but he/she seems to have decent starting hand requirements and occasionally capable of tricky play.

Hero is UTG+1 with KK. UTG folds. Hero raises. Villain re-raises. Folded round. Hero calls.

Flop: Q86 rainbow. Hero checks. Villain bets. Hero raises. Villain re-raises. Hero calls.

Turn: 3x. Hero checks. Villain bets. Hero calls.

River: Jx. Hero checks. Villain bets. Hero calls.

I definitely feel that I got this hand all wrong. Is there a point where I should put more money in or, alternatively, where I should call it a day and muck my overpair?

Brainwalter
02-10-2005, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a point where I should put more money in

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop, flop, depending on his reaction, turn or river

[ QUOTE ]
where I should call it a day and muck my overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bizarro world

JihadOnTheRiver
02-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Folding is not an option, but I would have tried leading the turn, river, or both. If you're up against aces, so be it, but you can't play that passive against somebody you don't have a read on. Seems like AA, AQ, and MAYBE JJ are the things he would play this way. The only way I would play it your way is if I had a significantly better read on him.

-Durka Durka

afish
02-10-2005, 08:54 AM
I would have capped preflop, led on the flop, and three bet the flop if raised. If the other player capped the flop, I would have slowed down, fearing a set.

The way you played it makes sense only if you check raise the turn. You gave no sign of having anything more than JJ or KQ.

BigDan9
02-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Some good thoughts, thanks. As I hadn't seen this guy show any real rubbish previously, I assumed he would only be re-raising with AA-QQ and AK. JJ and AQs were possibles.

I assume people agree that with AA-QQ it's OK to mix it up a bit pre-flop, i.e. to cap usually but also to call a three-bet once in a while (to disguise your holding).

After the flop, though, the only likely hand I could beat was AK and I couldn't believe he would re-raise a check-raise with AK. So isn't the best of testing the strength of his hand to check-raise the flop? That only costs me three bets, whereas leading out, getting raised and then potentially having my three-bet capped costs me one more.

BarronVangorToth
02-10-2005, 09:31 AM
The problem is, people play this way often with AA, KK, QQ, and JJ -- all of which beat you OR tie you (KK). JJ going that crazy on the flop won't be as many people, so that's a less possible holding. Hope for AQ not reading you for the overpair and maximize profit?

It's always hard to bet the overpair, but if you insist on calling it down, obviously check-calling at some point is the recourse.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

Brainwalter
02-10-2005, 09:37 AM
oops, nm

amulet
02-10-2005, 12:10 PM
you did not have position, so you chose not to 4 bet preflop so you could raise on the expensive street, but then you raised the flop, why? if you don't reraise preflop, wait for the bigger bets. i don't see how you fold this. you call it down. if she has QQ, or AA, you lose, and to fold you need to be certain from a lot of play with her and a great read.

imported_stealthcow
02-10-2005, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have capped preflop, led on the flop, and three bet the flop if raised. If the other player capped the flop, I would have slowed down, fearing a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

c/r the turn if you are against a player who could be playing AQ this fast ( was there a draw on teh board?)

otherwise i'd lead out, if he raises, just call and check call the river.

you dont muck this unless your opponents pfr is 1

stealthcow-

Bill C
02-10-2005, 12:54 PM
With top pr I'd have led on the flop and called a raise, then CR the turn and fold to a reraise.

You don't have much on him/her/it, but what you have is respectable, and I think if you're reraised on the turn, it's time to release.

FWIW, I got caught up in a nearly identical hand recently and villain had QQ.

Just my $.02 worth...

bill

DcifrThs
02-10-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not much info on the Villain, but he/she seems to have decent starting hand requirements and occasionally capable of tricky play.

Hero is UTG+1 with KK. UTG folds. Hero raises. Villain re-raises. Folded round. Hero calls.

Flop: Q86 rainbow. Hero checks. Villain bets. Hero raises. Villain re-raises. Hero calls.

Turn: 3x. Hero checks. Villain bets. Hero calls.

River: Jx. Hero checks. Villain bets. Hero calls.

I definitely feel that I got this hand all wrong. Is there a point where I should put more money in or, alternatively, where I should call it a day and muck my overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

you have so vastly underplayed your hand before the flop that you need to get more bets in there...since you did that, why did you give it away on the flop...the way you play i think checkraising the turn is a good line once you call the flop...

either that or checkraise the river...i like the turn.

-Barron