PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read "The Tao of Poker"?

bobbyi
02-10-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm a big fan of Zen and the Art of Poker. I know some people don't like it, and that's fine, but I think it is an excellent book and much of Larry Phillips' attitude towards the game mirrors mine. I wasn't aware until recently that he had written a followup book, The Tao of Poker. Has anyone read this? Any thoughts on it? My concern is that it will be very similar to Zen and won't really add anything new. Does it? I see it for $9 on Amazon, so it doesn't have to be great to justify buying it, but if it is going to be a complete waste of my time, I won't bother.

Niediam
02-10-2005, 05:43 AM
I have read it a couple of times and found it to be enjoyable but not exciting... If you liked Zen and the Art of Poker then I'm sure Tao is worth the read.

TomBrooks
02-10-2005, 02:27 PM
I just saw Tao the other day at the local Barnes and Noble B&M. I thought it had a lot of tidbits of wisdom and saw it as easily +EV for a ten dollar investment.

I saw the Zen of Poker book also, but TAO impressed me as the better book. This was just a first impression though based on flipping through the pages for a couple of minutes.

Tao is a compilation of 285 tidbits of advice and wisdom, most two or three to a page, but some longer. There is some other stuff at the back I didn't look at yet. You can open the book to any page and learn or be reminded of something useful.

Good luck,
- TomBk

BluffTHIS!
02-10-2005, 03:28 PM
The Tao is oriented toward newbies and technical playing. In my opinion the Zen is the better book which I liked too. But even so you probably will enjoy it.

Felix_Nietsche
02-10-2005, 11:39 PM
I read Tao first and I really enjoyed it....
I read Zen next and I thought it was decent...

Zen was a huge let down after Tao....

bobby rooney
02-13-2005, 04:54 PM
The book is light on poker specifics, but I would highly recommend reading it during a time when you are running horribly for an extended streak as it will help you keep an even keel and perhaps save you thousands of dollars.

deacsoft
02-13-2005, 05:49 PM
I agree that Zen is the better book, but Tao is worth the read if you liked Zen.

slavic
02-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Both are worth while reads. I'm not going to say there is anything ground breaking in either book, but this line has always stuck with me.

"We're talking about free money here." (Rule 10 TTOP Phillips)

Frankly that makes a lot of the pain, bordem, ect. very tolerable.