PDA

View Full Version : 3 betting preflop (party 10/20 6m)

NLSoldier
02-10-2005, 04:16 AM
I just wanted to comment on something I've noticed in my somewhat short 10/20 6max experience.

It seems like almost everyone will raise very lightly, especially in position, but when they are 3 bet (assuming they dont a have a capping hand) they tend to give up quite easily. Usually check calling the flop and check folding the turn, or even check folding the flop. Overall it seems like players give raisers almost no credit for a hand, (and many deservedly so) but give 3 bettors too much credit. People will take all kinds of shots at preflop raisers, check raising the flop, turn, etc. But almost never seem to take shots at 3 bettors. So I guess I have two questions: first, is it just me or have you guys noticed this phenomonon as well? Second, assuming what I have said so far is accurate to some extent, how much should this affect your 3 betting standards?

fyodor
02-10-2005, 11:04 AM
I agree 100%. I noticed this too. My openraises mean squat to these guys. But even if a pooch openraies and I 3 bet him, it seems half the time I take it down on the flop for 1 bet.

Obviously I shouldn't be openraising with less than a premium hand but paradoxically I can 3 bet with mediocre holdings.

MAxx
02-10-2005, 11:20 AM
i know this to be true. i have had a super short tenure at 10/20 but i also see it at 5/10 often as well.

i actually hoped nobody esle noticed this.

i don't know how to deal with it from a defensive standpoint... as it makes me have to checkfold some unfriendly looking flops when i actually could be ahead, but it makes me like 3-betting pocket pairs better.

shhh... dont tell anyone else about this

Grisgra
02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah, it's like when you're 3-bet you immediately think "He's got AK, AQ, or a pocket pair", and when you miss the flop you're inclined to just get the hell out of dodge, because he's probably not folding his pocket pair and he's probably not folding AK either.

MAxx
02-10-2005, 12:00 PM
true.

i think what happens sometimes is somthing like this:

MP raises 99, button 3bets with 77. flop comes AJ3r. MP checks, button bets, mp folds.

or MP raises with 77, button 3bets with ATs. Flop comes K94r. MP checks, Button Bets, MP folds.

Grisgra
02-10-2005, 12:05 PM
One thing I've seen is people are MUCH more likely to 3-bet and even cap with medium pocket pairs. If I've got two overcards to the board, I'm more likely to think my AJ or AQ or KQ outs are good than I would be at 5/10. At least, at the moment.

Schneids
02-10-2005, 02:34 PM
People don't give my 3-bets respect?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't really think it has anything to do with you 3-betting preflop. It's simply these guys are aggressive-passive. They'll play aggressive as hell till you show them resistance. I don't think the outcome would be any different if you cold called their raise and auto-raised their flop bet (obviously other than the fact your cold call might make the pot more multiway).