PDA

View Full Version : Gus Hansen & Mike Caro

manku
02-10-2005, 12:06 AM
I just bought SuperSystem 2, and the best chapter, IMO, is Mike Caro's tips. In it he talks about how to defend/play against a very deceptive/aggressive player - like Gus Hansen.

It seems to me that when the pros play against Gus that they certainly don't follow his advice. They try and get tricky with him, raise for VALUE, and outplay him instead of just trying to get him to call when he is dominated. Granted, Gus got a terrific run of cards in Sunday's tourney, but it seemed to me that the players were tripping over themselves to give him the money.

As an aside, would anyone come out a winner at a table like that? I mean, the games I play in are fed by the fishes. If there are no fishes, then won't everyone even out in the long run?

manku

asofel
02-10-2005, 12:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there are no fishes, then won't everyone even out in the long run?

[/ QUOTE ]

If player A is slightly better than player B and wins, on average, 1% more per game, and we're talking the highest stakes game, that will add up to some money. As barry greestein has said, phil ivey's made the most money out of the big game over the last few years.

AngryCola
02-10-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey try and get tricky with him, raise for VALUE

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
instead of just trying to get him to call when he is dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't the above the definition of raising for value?

Maybe I missed the class that week.

sdplayerb
02-11-2005, 04:25 PM
When did he say that about Phil Ivey?
Everything i've read him say he states that he has won the most and by a lot.

Stinglikeabee
02-11-2005, 04:28 PM
He says it on his website http://www.barrygreenstein.com

He says he's won the most over the last 10 years but I think Ivey puts in a lot more time at the tables than anyone else.

sdplayerb
02-11-2005, 05:32 PM
where on his web site does he state that?
i see him state phil will probably eventually pass him, but never do i see him state that phil has won more than him.

Stinglikeabee
02-11-2005, 05:55 PM
My mistake, it's not on his website but it was definitely written somewhere that Phil is this biggest winner in the big game the past few years.

sdplayerb
02-11-2005, 06:04 PM
no offense, but you are wrong. he said he was the biggest winner in the last several years. just do a search on him here and it was like his second post.
this link may work:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=tv&Number=1172179&Foru m=,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main =1155033&Search=true&where=&Name=2460&daterange=&n ewerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev= #Post1172179

Stinglikeabee
02-11-2005, 06:27 PM
http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2026

From Daniel Negreanu's website:
His poker profile on Phil Ivey:

Tournament Accomplishments:

Tied WSOP Record winning three gold bracelets in one year
Four Gold Bracelets Total inFour Different Events:
2000 $2500 WSOP Pot Limit Omaha Champion
2002 $1500 WSOP 7 Card Stud Champion
2002 $2500 WSOP Stud H/L Champion
2002 $2000 WSOP S.H.O.E. Champion
Won $500,000 at First Ever Live televised event in the USA
Four WPT Final Tables
15 Cashes at the WSOP
Total Tournament Earnings: $2,155,073

Cash Game Accomplishments:

There isn't a high limit player in the world that works harder or works more than Phil Ivey. Phil's biggest strengths are his ability to "outlast" his opponents while playing marathon sessions. Phil will rarely quit if there is someone willing to continue. He excels playing long hours and is an excellent short handed player.

He plays in the biggest cash games in the world on a regular basis where million dollar swings are the norm. Phil has arguably won more money playing poker in the last five years than anyone on the planet. Both his tournament and cash game skills are well respected amongst his peers.

Best Game: 7 Card Stud. Phil cut his teeth on the game playing $1-$5 stud at the Taj. Within about six months he was already playing in the $75-$150 games.

Worst Game: Omaha H/L. It's hard to call it his worst game because he's come along way in the game. It's probably his worst game by default really.

Strengths: Endurance, creativity, focus, shorthanded skills, dedication. You could go on and on about Phil's strengths really. He is a student of the game and the fact that he respects all of his opponents skills is what keeps him sharp. He takes no one lightly.

Weaknesses: No real poker weaknesses to speak of. What remains to be seen though is whether or not he can keep up this torrid and exhausting pace for years to come. If he's not careful he could run himself ragged and burn out too early. Doesn't take enough time to enjoy his successes (IMO).

Cash Games: 10
Tournaments: 8.5
Emotional Stability: 9
Heart: 10
Short Handed: 10
Ring Game: 7.5
No Limit Hold'em: 8.5

Other Notes: Phil doesn't spend much time worrying about what others think of him. His priorities are winning money at poker. Since he plays in the biggest cash games in the world that means a smaller tournament schedule. He isn't in this game for the fame or noteriety, he is in it for the money all the way.

He doesn't do any self promotion whatsoever, but the public is fascinated by his skills and his presence at the table which makes him one of the most popular players in the game today. He's not one to talk about how great he is... he proves it.

Phil Ivey is much more humble than any poker professional out there. Greenstein may own the decade but not the last few years, Ivey puts in about 80 hours a week. I doubt anyone puts in that kinda time.

sdplayerb
02-11-2005, 06:53 PM
and your point?
the statement was:
"As barry greestein has said, phil ivey's made the most money out of the big game over the last few years."

Your are quoting Negreanu, who is not greenstein.
And he uses the term arguably. Daniel does not play the biggest game nearly as much as Greenstein and/or Ivey.

So this really has nothing to do with what was brought up in the first place.

Stinglikeabee
02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Yeah, Greenstein didn't say it but Negreanu did. He lives in Vegas. He may not play in the big game all the time but he plays in it enough and hangs out with enough poker players to know how Ivey's doing.

And Greenstein does not play in the big game as much as Ivey.

Why would Greenstein ever admit that Ivey is has made more? Greenstein has much more of an ego than soft spoken Ivey.

When do you ever see Ivey talking about how much he's made and or who he's beat? You don't. He doesn't talk to the press about poker. Therefore, we could both bring up quotes saying who is better and who isn't.

They're both excellent players. End of story.

sdplayerb
02-11-2005, 07:06 PM
the quote was greenstein said ivey has won more than him.
there is no such quote.

greenstein also said in that post that people were told to ask, and they all agreed barry had won the most. and allegedly it is not close.

is it possible that ivey has won more in the last two or three years...definitely.
but, the discussion actually was on if barry had said that.

Stinglikeabee
02-11-2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah and I said I was wrong and Barry never said that. Look at my post above. I said I was wrong.

I said "My mistake".......I had read it somewhere, it turns out Negreanu said it.

sdplayerb
02-11-2005, 07:21 PM
actually you said:

"Yeah, Greenstein didn't say it but Negreanu did."
then explained why that is fine.

I don't see a post where you claimed to be wrong, or said my mistake.

If this is your statement now..cool.