PDA

View Full Version : itunes

sublime
02-09-2005, 11:46 PM
i want to download a new cd (or maybe just a few songs) onto my ipod.

something soft and relaxing, yet not feminine.

discuss

istewart
02-09-2005, 11:48 PM
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World

sublime
02-09-2005, 11:49 PM
please, a description for me

istewart
02-09-2005, 11:50 PM
And this: ALIZEE (http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=30)

sublime
02-09-2005, 11:53 PM
is that her signing? its actually pretty damn good.

InchoateHand
02-09-2005, 11:56 PM
Having no idea whatsoever what you like, here's some random samplings that might fit your description.

Billy Bragg--Worker's Playtime
(Soft music, nice voice, left-over commie)

The Beautiful South---Blue is the Colour
(crappy Brit/Euro-rockpop from the '90s, but smart lyrics, inoffensive sounds)

The Replacements---Let it Be
(possibly their weakest album, but somehow the most listenable...)

tbach24
02-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Gavin Degraw- I don't want to be
Gavin Degraw- Chariot

Schneids
02-10-2005, 12:03 AM
Snow Patrol - Final Straw

jason_t
02-10-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
please, a description for me

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome, pleasant indie rock with very thoughtful lyrics; like nothing you've heard before

Tboner7
02-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day
Vertigo - U2
Any Maroon 5 song
Let Me Love You - Mario
My Boo - Usher & Alicia Keys
Heaven - Los Lonely Boys

( I don't listen to all of these. Some, not all. They just sound like what you were describing. )

Enon
02-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

Contemporary classic music combined with minor electronic flourishes.

istewart
02-10-2005, 12:20 AM
If you download Maroon 5 I will personally come to your house and murder you.

tbach24
02-10-2005, 12:23 AM
and she wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill be looooooooooooooooooved /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sublime
02-10-2005, 12:23 AM
should i buy the whole album?

the shins that is. if not, track's # please /images/graemlins/grin.gif

istewart
02-10-2005, 12:27 AM
Preferably get the whole album. If you're a lazy, disgusting, Kenmore Square Bahstan Red Sox fan fgt, here are the best tracks.

"New Slang"
"Girl on the Wing"
"Caring is Creepy"

Pretty good for starters.

Edge34
02-10-2005, 12:28 AM
Counting Crows - Colorblind
All 4 One - I Swear
Ben Jelen - Come On (to be fair, a Schneids recommendation to me)
Brian McKnight - Back At One, Still, Anytime, 6 Months 8 days
Craig David - You Don't Miss Your Water Till The Well Runs Dry
Dave Matthews - Some Devil
Howie Day - She Says (another Schneids recommendation)
Jet - Move On
Linkin Park - My December

I've got waaaaaaaay too much music on this computer....that oughta hold you over though.

sublime
02-10-2005, 12:54 AM
good stuff bro, thanks for the info.

schneids- your band is next
edge-ill get to those also

Arsene Lupin III
02-10-2005, 01:02 AM
the new deal - self titled

it's house/breakbeat/disco/jam-funk played w/ live instruments. get 'exciting new direction' and 'then and now.' get 'techno beam' if you want a sample of two different sides of their stuff.

fnord_too
02-10-2005, 01:15 AM
If you like jazz, "Cantaloupe Island" by Herbie Hancock is mellow an incredible.

nothumb
02-10-2005, 02:33 AM
I was just listening to 'Sea Change' by Beck for the first time in a while today. If you don't have this album I really recommend it.

NT

Macdaddy Warsaw
02-10-2005, 02:46 AM
The final answer is clearly Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun, because it is everything you have asked for and one of the greatest albums of all time. Also, it is excellent music for making love to. If you want tracks Olsen Olsen (not a good sample on iTunes) and Staralfur (this is the track that plays in the key moment of Life Aquatic, and without it the moment fails). This is definitely an album that comes together as a whole, but those tracks are standouts in my book.

But yes, Chutes Too Narrow is a good CD, and while I like Final Straw, I don't think it's soothing. And it's a little emo, so possibly feminine.

scrub
02-10-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The final answer is clearly Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun, because it is everything you have asked for and one of the greatest albums of all time. Also, it is excellent music for making love to. If you want tracks Olsen Olsen (not a good sample on iTunes) and Staralfur (this is the track that plays in the key moment of Life Aquatic, and without it the moment fails). This is definitely an album that comes together as a whole, but those tracks are standouts in my book.

But yes, Chutes Too Narrow is a good CD, and while I like Final Straw, I don't think it's soothing. And it's a little emo, so possibly feminine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ni han, sir.

I was just about to suggest that.

scrub

Joe826
02-10-2005, 03:39 AM
If you like Schneids' suggested you should definetely get the new album by The Format called Interventions and Lullabys. You should probably listen to a few samples on amazon.com to see if it's what you're into, but I LOVE it. Schneids - you'll love this cd, get it.

p.s. the format is emoish, so you don't like that style, then you probably won't like these guys.

TylerD
02-10-2005, 08:19 AM
The Mylo album. Its called Destroy Rock and Roll and its easily the best thing I've listened to this year. Its electronica, but don't let that put you off (I'm "normally" an Alternative/Rock fan but I love this album). Its filled with some really great, chilled out tracks.

Listen to the samples of Paris 700 (I think thats what its called) and Valley of the Dolls if you want proof.

jason_t
02-10-2005, 08:27 AM
whole album. otherwise, the good tracks are new slang, caring is creepy and your algebra. those tracks #s are 1, 6, 9.

eric5148
02-10-2005, 08:38 AM
I'm sure you could get some good suggestions here (http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/)

MicroBob
02-10-2005, 08:51 AM
since when is linkin park soft or relaxing (or even listenable)??

Luna is my choice...Bewitched, Penthouse or their Luna Live.

I'm digging StereoLab more and more too but this might be too girly.

Lots of pretty solid indie-bands out there.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica

turnipmonster
02-10-2005, 11:13 AM
the sigur ros album everyone is mentioning is great. for instrumental stuff, check out Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer's "Uncommon Ritual". really great writing and playing, and very stylistically varied (although both of them started out in bluegrass). also, air's "talkie walkie" and "moon safari" are great albums, though perhaps too feminine. yo yo ma and edgar meyer's "appalachian journey" if you like strings. if you like solo piano, check out brad mehldau's "live in tokyo". he's one of the best jazz pianists in the world, and covers radiohead songs sometimes.

finally, two really mellow albums that may/may not be on itunes are john mclaughlin's "time remembered" and fred hersch/bill frisell's "songs we know".

--turnipmonster

Sporky
02-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Elliott - False Cathedrals is one of my favorites (except the 4th track). The guy has a very smooth voice and they have some good slow rockin' songs.
Sigur Ros is great.
also, the Keane album Hopes and Fears that came out a few months ago is pretty damn good. it's mellow and Coldplayish. you might check out the 1st and last tracks for a taste. i could list more, but i might breach your feminine boundaries.

lucas9000
02-10-2005, 11:33 AM
sigur ros (anything, but esp. () )
american analog set (esp. know by heart and particularly the song kindness of strangers)
air

lucas9000
02-10-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sigur ros (anything, but esp. () )
american analog set (esp. know by heart and particularly the song kindness of strangers)
air

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess i should have read everyone else's responses before posting. fwiw, the reason i suggested () of all sigur ros' albums is because i think it's the mellowest one, and that's what the op is looking for.

but hey at least no one said american analog set (who are great).

colgin
02-10-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Luna is my choice...Bewitched, Penthouse or their Luna Live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely Penthouse. Good call.

sfer
02-10-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent choice, but I like Promise of Love better.

moondogg
02-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Guster's earlier stuff (Parachute or Goldfly, and maybe Lost And Gone Forever if you like the other two)

lucas9000
02-10-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent choice, but I like Promise of Love better.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you like them i have something you'd enjoy. it's a recording of a show they did on 9/12/01 (yes, the date is correct). they don't really get all preachy about the prior day's events, but something definitely comes through in the music. great stuff. if you're into it pm me.

Wayfare
02-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Belle & Sebastion.

Edge34
02-10-2005, 12:44 PM
You've clearly never heard "My December". Not at all like any of their other songs. Really soft and mellow. You'd have to give it a shot to know.

Sporky
02-10-2005, 02:16 PM
i forgot Jimmy Eat World - Clarity. i would suggest this one over the others i mentioned. excellent soft album.

istewart
02-10-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Belle & Sebastion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. GJ. Can't believe I forgot this.

Get Tigermilk and If You're Feeling Sinister, both are great.

sfer
02-10-2005, 02:26 PM
I would guess that Sublime finds their sound more than a bit feminine.

GuyOnTilt
02-10-2005, 02:26 PM
If you're looking for a whole album like that, Snow Patrol - Final Straw.

GoT

Schneids
02-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Also Damien Rice.

A few good songs in particular: "The Blowers Daughter" and "Volcano." Album is called "O"

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-10-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Radiohead - Amnesiac
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica

[/ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention a few more and they all happen to be Brits:

Travis - 12 Memories - or get the new hits album Singles - a lot of 12 Memories is on there
Coldplay - Parachutes
Blur - Greatest Hits
Starsailor - Love Is Here

Senor Cardgage
02-10-2005, 04:55 PM
Soft and relaxing?

Sufjan Stevens - "Greetings From Michigan..."

Might not be your thing, but I love it.