PDA

View Full Version : AQ and a coordinated flop

cab4656
02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
The opponent here seems loose and aggressive preflop but I don't have much of a postflop read on him.

Am I wrong for even sticking around on this coordinated board? But the pot was big. I considered folding on the flop, but decided that would be too weak.

The turn put me in exactly the position I didn't want. I hit my top pair, but with four clubs on the board I don't know what to do. Is calling down okay?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.70 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.70 BB

railbird8
02-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Think u got way too aggressive here before the flop. even though hes loose i would just fold. i mean hes loose but even loose Players get AA sometimes..

But I Think your biggest mistake is u didnt fold to the cap. now hes serious about the hand.. save this bet for later

sublime
02-09-2005, 11:50 PM
this is 6-max. his opponent is LAG. he has to 3-bet. if he folded to a cap i would shoot him.

cab4656
02-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Okay, yeah, I don't have a problem with preflop. But what about postflop?

berz
02-09-2005, 11:59 PM
I'd play it the same vs a lag.

samdash
02-10-2005, 12:55 AM
If I'm understanding your description of him correctly, there is no other way to play it. I might consider raising some rag flops without the 3 of suit. What you want in this case is the cheapest possible showdown. An argument could be made for dumping immediately on this flop, but I think the villan will cap pre too often with hands you have dominated.

lostinthought
02-10-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Think u got way too aggressive here before the flop. even though hes loose i would just fold. i mean hes loose but even loose Players get AA sometimes..

But I Think your biggest mistake is u didnt fold to the cap. now hes serious about the hand.. save this bet for later

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible advice - making it 3 and not calling the cap?

lostinthought
02-10-2005, 02:50 AM
If you decide you are going to play this hand against this type of opponent, I sometimes like this line:

preflop - fine
flop - raise
bet the turn, fold to a turn check-raise, and check the river.

mikewvp
02-10-2005, 03:05 AM
I like the raise flop bet turn line. I think calling down is pretty horrible. I would also fold if he bet out on the turn after I raised, because of the four flush it makes it really difficult to call.

cab4656
02-10-2005, 11:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you decide you are going to play this hand against this type of opponent, I sometimes like this line:

preflop - fine
flop - raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I have come to hate taking the free showdown line in 6max because I seem to always get check-raised on the turn. Are you sure it's a good idea? Could you explain why? The opponent here is LAG preflop and for all I know could be LAG postflop, so I'd hate to get pushed off the best hand.

bobman0330
02-10-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

preflop - fine
flop - raise

[/ QUOTE ]

I have come to hate taking the free showdown line in 6max because I seem to always get check-raised on the turn. Are you sure it's a good idea? Could you explain why? The opponent here is LAG preflop and for all I know could be LAG postflop, so I'd hate to get pushed off the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thought process is, if you get check-raised here, you're far enough behind that you're not interested in a showdown, so you get away for 2 BBs total (1 on the turn, 2 SBs on the flop). If he just calls (or folds!), you get a free showdown by checking behind.

Compare this to your line, which requires 2.5 BBs with no folding equity. In addition, if you aren't aggressive with weak hands, you won't get paid off with a big hand as often.

cab4656
02-10-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The thought process is, if you get check-raised here, you're far enough behind that you're not interested in a showdown, so you get away for 2 BBs total (1 on the turn, 2 SBs on the flop). If he just calls (or folds!), you get a free showdown by checking behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the opponent is loose and aggressive. What if he checkraises me with a worse hand? Am I using reads wrong?