PDA

View Full Version : AK unimproved

macdaddy991
02-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

My 3 bet put UTG all in. SB and I were playing HU for side pot.
Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>,

Flop: (9 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

cold_cash
02-09-2005, 09:10 PM
If he calls on the river you're beat, and I'm sure he didn't fold a better hand.

I think the only time the bet is good is when he has another AK, and the pot would have to be quite a bit bigger and not protected before I'd be willing to gamble on that.

macdaddy991
02-09-2005, 09:12 PM
so check turn, check river?

Shillx
02-09-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so check turn, check river?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah

hate
02-09-2005, 09:16 PM
What's with checking this turn? You've got top overcards and fold equity has to be high HU. And the only danger I'm seeing is a possible flush draw.

Shillx
02-09-2005, 09:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's with checking this turn? You've got top overcards and fold equity has to be high HU. And the only danger I'm seeing is a possible flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds say that we are behind. We are probably a 55/45 underdog against a random hand here and even when he is behind he won't be folding too often. You also have to remeber that we are investing 1 BB to potentially win just 1 BB since the pot is protected. Check this all day every day.

Brad

macdaddy991
02-09-2005, 09:20 PM
I was unimproved. If he had a pair or flush draw, he wasn't folding. I actually bet the river because I thought he missed.

Big John D
02-09-2005, 09:26 PM
what does "the pot is protected" mean?

Hojglad
02-09-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It means that the pot is large enough so that anyone with a piece of the community cards will not fold for one more bet.

Shillx
02-09-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It means that the pot is large enough so that anyone with a piece of the community cards will not fold for one more bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It means that someone is all-in so you should not expect the opponent to pull any fast ones because he is only betting to potentially win part of the pot. With just 1 BB in the side pot, you should not be risking 1 BB with just AK UI. Without the UTG being all-in, a case can be made to bet the turn and the check the river.

Brad

hate
02-09-2005, 09:42 PM
oh, didn't see that all-in. I wasn't really concerned about the flush draw like a bet would fold him, I was just pointing out it was the only non-nasty draw on the board.

Catt
02-09-2005, 09:54 PM
In addition to the all-in nature of "protected pots" I see the term commonly used when a third player is in the hand and has already called on a given street -- the pot is then "protected" from a pure bluff bet.

Example: Villain bets, XX calls, Hero ??? Hero really can't try a bluff-raise -- the pot has been protected by XX's call whereas if it were heads-up Hero could try and bluff-raise his way to the pot. A bet or a raise can be a bluff; a call can't -- so the presence of XX's call means a bluff is not working here.