PDA

View Full Version : Shootout considerations

Gamblor
02-09-2005, 07:35 PM
I found a local tournament that plays shootout style.

$250 entry, 10 tables. 2nd at each table wins $300, 1st wins $700 plus a trip to the final table.

Final table first prize is $7000, 2nd is $2000, 3rd is $1000.

As far as I can tell, I should be rererererereading the chapter in TPFAP "When winning is all that matters".

Anything else to consider?

The Armchair
02-10-2005, 02:39 PM
I've actually been thinking a lot about this game and the payout structure sucks. Obviously, you cannot change it, but if you can make deals, plan your proposals out earlier rather than later.

At the first table, it is unlikely you can make any sort of worthwhile deal. Because the second table payout is so top-heavy and most of the bargaining chips (the $1k to go to the next round) move as a unit, I don't see anything worthwhile. If you have a significant -- say, 4-1 chip lead -- and are heads up, you may want to give the other guy $750 (including his $300) to concede. That gives you an entry into the big money and makes it into a freeroll. But even that seems unnecessary.

When you get to the final table, however, the opportunity to deal is enormous. The payout structure is horrid if you look at it as a $1k sit-and-go (which for all intents and purposes, it is). All ten of you could walk away right then and there and be up $1,450 for your first-round win. Plus, the only way to improve on that is to come in 2nd or better.

I would offer it half-jokingly, pointing out that you can each keep your grand. If it gets some talk, turn it into a serious conversation. Certainly, as people bust out, you mention it again, each time a bit more serious.

The way the payout is structured, when two people bust, each person has $250 _more_ than third-place money of equity in the table. (It's actually true that "even split" > "third place" once one person busts, but only to the tune of about $100.) In a regular 50%-30%-20% payout format, you need to lose six players to get a situation where an even split pays better than third place, and by that point, stack sizes are a barrier to such a split.

jackdaniels
02-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Very interesting reply! If one was inclined to make deals then this is a very good suggestion indeed.

Yes, that payout structure sucks.

The Armchair
02-10-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting reply! If one was inclined to make deals then this is a very good suggestion indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

My part-time job is boring as anything, so I get to daydream a bit.

Why I had to read Gamblor's post before I left is another question. /images/graemlins/smile.gif