PDA

View Full Version : Am I was wasting time with 5.50 ?

sng-sam
02-09-2005, 07:06 PM
I have been doing well in thes but I'mve been getting big hands cracked repeatedly with mediocre hands like K9 offsuit. I have played every level and believe that in order to avoid this time of poor play I may need to move up to 50 + 5 ( i've done fair in these). Alas the bankroll issue presents itself here.

wbrumfiel
02-09-2005, 07:20 PM
You're kidding right? You want to move from $5.50 SnGs to $55 SnGs? I think that is fine IF you can afford it, but you really need at least 20 buy-ins (prefferably more) to handle the variance. Move up to $11s and see how you do first.

djhoneybear
02-09-2005, 08:17 PM
I think getting hands cracked is something you need to live with at any level. Some players like to play any two cards cheap realizing that when they do hit something they often will bust a player. This doesn't change that much as you move up. What does change is the skill that these players have. Once you have played 1000 $5.50s and have shown a significant return on your investment - then consider moving up. (I definitely wouldn't make the jjump you are talking about though - like moving up limits you should do them incrementally).

skipperbob
02-09-2005, 08:30 PM
You think that K-9off is a "mediocre" hand? /images/graemlins/confused.gifYou better hope that Irieguy isn't in a particularly foul mood when he reads this /images/graemlins/grin.gifMove immediately to the $215's

sng-sam
02-09-2005, 08:32 PM
maybe I should be more clear. I have played primarily $20 SNG's for about a year now. Never kept stats. Never hand BR rules. Now thanks to all you 2 + 2'rs I'm realizing that I need more bankroll and that at my current bankroll I reallly need to play 5.50's.. I am frustrated because the skills and habits that I learned playing 15's 20's etc. are not helping me in 5.50's ...so how do I overcome the disparity.
A: save up for a better bankroll and don't play poker until I do? /images/graemlins/frown.gif
b: schlep through these 5.50's and build the BR?
c: play with an inadequate bankroll at a skill level I'm comfortable with.

skipperbob
02-09-2005, 08:36 PM
I owe you an apology; I mis-read your post to say that you thought K-9off was a mediocre hand; that's not what you said, sorry /images/graemlins/frown.gif

krabby5
02-09-2005, 09:01 PM
If you are a better player than most in $5.50, you will win more often than not...the odds are in your favor BECAUSE of the hands the weak players have....

It just sux when they get lucky on you..

Rasputin
02-09-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A: save up for a better bankroll and don't play poker until I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

B

If you're not beating the 5.5s then there's something your missing and eventually you'll run into a time when you need it.

Though I share your pain. I schlepped through the 5.5s got my roll up to where I could take on the 11s with a good conscience and decided to branch out into other things that led to a raging tilt fest and now I'm schlepping through the 5.5s again.

sng-sam
02-10-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm taking Krabby's advice. Schlep city here I come. I've played 4 today. 2nd. 5th (KK cracked) 1st 1st. I'll keep schleping until I get to 250 ish and then I'll go up to 10+1 SNG's how many tournies before a semi-conclusive measurement can be taken with Pokertracker. 12 tournies (just purchased PT) obviously not enough. 100? 500? 1000?
What's an exceptable ROI? how about ITM?

jaydoggie
02-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I had a 38% ROI, 47.9 ITM @ 5+.5 on stars. I just moved up to 10+1 this week.

theres alot to be learned at this level, its very easy to beat. sometimes you cant beat the idiots more often than not you hit a set of aces they call you allin with A3o. :/ also pretty terrible headsup players. i finished 1st 20.3% overall, and 2nd 11.7% if that says anything.

move up when you can afford to, you dont need 1000 games at this level. 500 and you should notice a significant improvement in your game, and have plenty of money to play the 10+1.

Scuba Chuck
02-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Here's an idea. Let the idiots beat themselves up. don't get involved.

sng-sam
02-11-2005, 09:08 PM
Thank you all for you advice.I have read the post the "2+2 Method" thread. and since then have cashed in 5 out of six SNG's...still not a good sample size. ROI 32.52% ITM 57.4%
oh yeah...the one I didn't cash? all in preflop KK vs. AA we both flopped a set too /images/graemlins/frown.gif

JoeTable
02-12-2005, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe I should be more clear. I have played primarily $20 SNG's for about a year now. Never kept stats. Never hand BR rules. Now thanks to all you 2 + 2'rs I'm realizing that I need more bankroll and that at my current bankroll I reallly need to play 5.50's.. I am frustrated because the skills and habits that I learned playing 15's 20's etc. are not helping me in 5.50's ...so how do I overcome the disparity.
A: save up for a better bankroll and don't play poker until I do? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

B. Schlep

This lesson cost me about a grand before I finally figured it out.

AtticusFinch
02-13-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been doing well in thes but I'mve been getting big hands cracked repeatedly with mediocre hands like K9 offsuit. I have played every level and believe that in order to avoid this time of poor play I may need to move up to 50 + 5 ( i've done fair in these). Alas the bankroll issue presents itself here.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first moved from Stars to Party my ROI went down to about -100% because I didn't know how to handle the wild play. I imagine moving down to the 5.50s would be a similar experience.

The truth is, these are actually (much) easier to beat, but you run into a problem called implicit collusion. Since you don't care who at the table wins if it isn't you, if everyone calls a lot, it's like the whole table is working against you. Of course it also means that when you win, you get paid off extremely well.

The end result is that your variance is going to be huge in these wild games, and it may seem like you can't beat them because you "always" get sucked out on. (Believe me, I still feel this way at the 55s /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

You're not wasting your time, but you need to focus on how to play against overly loose players. There are many threads discussing this, and I believe HoH covers it reasonably well.

As for your bankroll, I agree with a prior poster that the best approach is to schlep, but it all depends on the risk you are willing to accept. Check out this tool to get some ideas about how much you need: http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~sharnett/poker/part2/rorcalc2.html (3rd time I've posted it today. Sheesh.)

You might think about schlepping at the 11s if you have $150-$200 or so to work with. That will give you a 5-9% ROR if your ROI is 20%, which, if you've had some success at higher levels, shouldn;t be hard to maintain at the 11s.

Good luck.

sng-sam
02-13-2005, 06:30 PM
I've been to the calculator and am getting a handle on that side of things. as for a post by HoH? can't find it anyone got a link? thanks in advance.

Rick

AtticusFinch
02-13-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been to the calculator and am getting a handle on that side of things. as for a post by HoH? can't find it anyone got a link? thanks in advance.

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, HoH stands for Harrington on Hold'Em, a 2+2 book. I thought I saw you mention that you had read it, but I may have been mistaken.