PDA

View Full Version : Another prop bet

Ulysses
02-09-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm sitting around the house having some beers with friends. We flip on the TV and Fox Sports World is showing a good soccer game. We start watching.

My friend's team is up 2-0 with 15 minutes left. He says:

F: Diablo, no way your team can come back here.
D: I bet they could.
F: No way, wanna bet? It's almost impossible.
D: OK, I'll bet $20. Give me 10-1.
F: I'll give you 5-1.
D: 5-1? Almost impossible? Hahaha. OK, I'll take it.

My team comes back to win with 3 goals in the last 10 minutes.

What do you think of the fact that I saw the live broadcast the night before?

pshreck
02-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Again, not comparable.

VBM
02-09-2005, 07:13 PM
haahahahha...i think life would be fun w/ friends like yours. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hoyaboy1
02-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Not at all the same. One involves playing a game with rules, the other doesn't.

apd138
02-09-2005, 07:16 PM
I did this with a friend, it was that artistic pool on espn and that Mike something guy was trying to jump a ball into his boot. He of course made a semmingly impossible shot, and I of course didn't make my friend pay. I do however believe that slight of hand/cheating whatever you want to call it has always been a part of prop betting which should explain why you should not do it with your friends since they are supposed to be able to trust you. I guess it just all depends on who you are betting with and how you feel about coaxing people out of their money. The idea of betting for profit is to be on the right side so inherintly you are looking for a sucker on the other, there are just different ways of doing it.

nolanfan34
02-09-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems fine to me. Your friend should have known it wasn't a live broadcast if he wanted to make the bet.

The question is, did you make him pay?

Voltron87
hahahahahaha I've done this exact same thing before.

They should pay you in this case.

El D what would you do if your friend then asks you "Have you seen the game before?" IYO could you lie about it and still make a standing bet?

daryn
did he even mention the other bet? he asked what you thought about this one. god you are dumb.

hoyaboy1
02-09-2005, 07:19 PM
He was clearly inferring a connection. I'm sorry I made you look bad in the other thread, but stalking me won't help.

Analyst
02-09-2005, 07:21 PM
"One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider."

Lawrence Ng
02-09-2005, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10-1? Sheesh Diablo, you suck as an oddsmaker. 20-1 is more like it.

Lawrence

daryn
02-09-2005, 07:23 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
He was clearly inferring a connection. I'm sorry I made you look bad in the other thread, but stalking me won't help.

[/ QUOTE ]

please. i dare you to make a poll. who is the bigger idiot, you or me. the results will be staggering.

fnord_too
02-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Did he lose another century on the replay?

AngryCola
02-09-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please. i dare you to make a poll. who is the bigger idiot, you or me. the results will be staggering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I?

:evil grin:

partygirluk
02-09-2005, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

10-1? Sheesh Diablo, you suck as an oddsmaker. 20-1 is more like it.

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

The true odds of a team coming from 2-0 down with 15 mins. to go would be greater than 20-1. However, offering 10-1 when you watched the game the previous night, is excellent oddsmaking.

pshreck
02-09-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Should I?

:evil grin:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 95% of us would have no opinion either way on it, but Hoyaboy would get more votes as Daryn has a lot of 'friends' on the forum.

Meaning, the poll would be lame.

hoyaboy1
I've barely posted anything meaningful on this board, so everyone should choose you regardless of who is right in this specific case.

But I don't care - my board reputation is meaningless. You actually have a stake in this stuff.

Ulysses
[ QUOTE ]
hahahahahaha I've done this exact same thing before.

They should pay you in this case.

El D what would you do if your friend then asks you "Have you seen the game before?" IYO could you lie about it and still make a standing bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not.

partygirluk
02-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Hoya, Daryn - this is actually an interesting thread. Please just agree to disagree and don't turn it into a flame.

*apologises for sanctimoniousness*

Thanks.

daryn
02-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I've barely posted anything meaningful on this board, so everyone should choose you regardless of who is right in this specific case.

But I don't care - my board reputation is meaningless. You actually have a stake in this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

i should hope not. it's not a popularity contest, it's about who is right, who is wrong, and why.

AngryCola
02-09-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think 95% of us would have no opinion either way on it

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you get this number.

More people vote in the polls than post in the threads.

[ QUOTE ]
but Hoyaboy would get more votes as Daryn has a lot of 'friends' on the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, but that wasn't the point.
I'm not daryn's friend, but I would vote for the other guy being stupider and/or NOT making daryn look bad in the other thread.

You'll find the reason that people agree with daryn and some of the other "posters with a lot of friends" is because of the general level of intelligence in their posts.

I don't know either of these people personally, but it's an easy choice for me. Personally, I think more rational and intelligent people are easier to support.

At any rate, it was hoyaboy who was foolish enough to make the "I made you look bad" claim.
I fail to see how that happened. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MEbenhoe
02-09-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a moron

hoyaboy1
02-09-2005, 07:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i should hope not. it's not a popularity contest, it's about who is right, who is wrong, and why.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be. But is it ever actually about that?

Edit - I also admit that I attacked daryn a bit before he directly went after me, so I take the blame for the minor flame war and say we might as well stop now.

daryn
02-09-2005, 07:31 PM
ok, let's just talk turkey. his friend proposed the bet. he said, "i'll bet you they don't come back to win".

now, the way i see it, it's a fair bet! diablo has serious inside info, but that doesn't change the bet that his friend wants to make.

anyone who can't see clearly through this.. wowowowoowo...

Sponger15SB
02-09-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like I said in the last thread, you're a scum bag w/ no class.

partygirluk
02-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Your friend is very naive.

If someone seemingly fairly smart, who seems to know a fair bit about football, and who is not a fan of massively -EV bets was willing to accept 5-1 on a team winning from 2 down with 15 mins to go, alarm bells would be ringing very very loud in my head.

Ulysses
02-09-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Your friend is very naive.

If someone seemingly fairly smart, who seems to know a fair bit about football, and who is not a fan of massively -EV bets was willing to accept 5-1 on a team winning from 2 down with 15 mins to go, alarm bells would be ringing very very loud in my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posts in this thread have been right on.

Justin A
02-09-2005, 07:45 PM
Even if this game was a live broadcast and you did not know the outcome of the game, shouldn't you still win the bet even if your team lost based on the exact wording you gave?

Ulysses
02-09-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Even if this game was a live broadcast and you did not know the outcome of the game, shouldn't you still win the bet even if your team lost based on the exact wording you gave?

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, in reality, instead of

he probably said

F: No way, wanna bet on your team winning this game? It's almost impossible

Bluffoon
02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like I said in the last thread, you're a scum bag w/ no class.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a little harsh. I would say somewhat misguided.

Nick B.
02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If a team is only down by 2 with 15 minutes to go in football, I would be overjoyed to take 5-1.

Voltron87
02-09-2005, 07:56 PM
What if the game occurred earlier, but it is being shown or the first time on TV later and you look the result up on the internet. If your friend asks you "was this on last night" are you allowed to say "no its the first time its been on tv"?

partygirluk
02-09-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If a team is only down by 2 with 15 minutes to go in football, I would be overjoyed to take 5-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I was talking about the game in which you kick a ball with a foot.

MEbenhoe
02-09-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She's from the UK, football = soccer

Tosh
02-09-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, funny that! Almost as funny as a world series involving only teams from America.

daryn
02-09-2005, 09:20 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, funny that! Almost as funny as a world series involving only teams from America.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, you know all the best players will come to the US to play baseball, that's where the money is. it's not like the players are all americans.

Catch of the Day
02-09-2005, 09:34 PM
Not that you will care about my oppinion, or what I have to say; however, I am going to chime in...

Firstly I know this is not the place to post this, but I really dont feel like posting it in the other thread with 200+ some odd replies, so I will anyway.

I have read through both posts, and have personally talked with Got, so I feel like I am in the know in terms of what happened with the whole web boggle bet thing.

I just want to say that it's weak that you expoited someone who IMO is a pretty upstanding guy. Yes you argue very well, and very convivcingly. You are very good at exploiting the weaknesses in other people's reasoning. You are obviously a very intelligent person, who "technically" opperated within the paramaters of said bet and swindled a pretty cool guy out of 500 hundred dollars. Will you make him pay? IMO: NO. Did you string this along, and hash this out in a rediculously public manner? Yes. I think what you did in all honesty was funny as hell, until you decided that you were going to "teach him a lesson" or whatever the hell this ended up being. I always thought you were a great poster, and I just equated that with you being a good person. Guy always talked pretty highly of you. But this whole thing seems just...well..."Dicked". I don't know if you were just bored and wanted to pick a fight. Or if you like to hear yourself type or somthing, but man...What actually motivated you to turn somthing that was actually hilarious, into this whole dramatic fiasco?

People are actually making camps and picking sides, and bitching at each other, and you started all this crap. I agree it was entertaning, but come on...

I think you just like to be antagonistic and contrary cause you smart enough to do so. I always had to lot of respect for what you had to sya, but I really can't understand what was the point of this whole ordeal other than just instigating a fight.

Cool, we learned a lot about proposition betting. But in the context of the situation, I mean come on...Me and Got bet on everything, cause its fun. Friendly wagers occur all the time...When [censored] like this happens (e.g. angle shooting), they stop becoming friendly and about the competition, and become about the money. If you were proping him for money then take the [censored] money. If you were doing it for friendly competition then laugh cause you tricked him, and leave it at that. But to leave him hanging, force him to dicuss it publically over IRC and the thread and skirt the issue about the doe, then chime in later being all like "I never actually said anywhere technically that I wanted GoT to pay me" just shows that you hd alterior motives. None of which really cast you in any sort of favorable light.

Maybe you were tired of being revered on the forums, and wanted someone to finally dis-agree with you. who knows...

Oh, and if you were my friend and you [censored] me out of x-amount of money cause you saw the live broadcast the night before, and you made me pay...Most likely it would be better that you keep it a secret, cause me and the rest of the boys would probably throw you a beatin', or, in reality, just not really be cool with you anymore. Either way, I think you end up being the bigger looser. I would rather have friends then money. But um...Yeah I am done.

Catch-

Edited: cause I cannot spell, nor type

MrFeelNothin
02-09-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"One of these days in your travels, a guy is going to show you a brand-new deck of cards on which the seal is not yet broken. Then this guy is going to offer to bet you that he can make the jack of spades jump out of this brand-new deck of cards and squirt cider in your ear. But, son, do not accept this bet, because as sure as you stand there, you're going to wind up with an ear full of cider."

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you Analyst, I wanted to post that!

Anyways, well done Diablo, well done.

Sponger15SB
02-09-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not that you will care about my oppinion, or what I have to say: Howeverm, I am going to chime in...

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

daryn
02-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Not that you will care about my oppinion, or what I have to say: Howeverm, I am going to chime in...

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahha

razor
02-09-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong

Ulysses
02-09-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just want to say that it's weak that you expoited someone who IMO is a pretty upstanding guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did I exploit him?

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. I think what you did in all honesty was funny as hell, until you decided that you were going to "teach him a lesson" or whatever the hell this ended up being.
I don't know if you were just bored and wanted to pick a fight.
What actually motivated you to turn somthing that was actually hilarious, into this whole dramatic fiasco?
People are actually making camps and picking sides, and bitching at each other, and you started all this crap. I agree it was entertaning, but come on...

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me what exactly it is that I started, where I have tried to teach GoT any lesson, etc.

[ QUOTE ]
I really can't understand what was the point of this whole ordeal other than just instigating a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the f are you asking me this rather than Schneids?

[ QUOTE ]
If you were doing it for friendly competition then laugh cause you tricked him, and leave it at that. But to leave him hanging, force him to dicuss it publically over IRC and the thread and skirt the issue about the doe, then chime in later being all like "I never actually said anywhere technically that I wanted GoT to pay me" just shows that you hd alterior motives. None of which really cast you in any sort of favorable light.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF are you talking about? Everyone on IRC who was not a complete nitwit knew we were just screwing around. Perhaps someone will actually post the IRC logs and you will see how ridiculous you are being.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and if you were my friend and you [censored] me out of x-amount of money cause you saw the live broadcast the night before, and you made me pay...Most likely it would be better that you keep it a secret, cause me and the rest of the boys would probably throw you a beatin', or, in reality, just not really be cool with you anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if it's that you're just wound up real tight, oversensitive, or stupid. One of those things.

Tyler Durden
02-09-2005, 10:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
did he even mention the other bet? he asked what you thought about this one. god you are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daryn, it doesn't make him dumb. ElD didn't mention it but that doesn't mean the two bets aren't interrelated.

J_V
02-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Gay.

Catch of the Day
02-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Cool you responded...and I'm not wound tight, or pissed. Moreso just curious bout the man behind the mask.

[ QUOTE ]
How did I exploit him?

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay well IMO you expolited him (exploit: To make use of unethically)(might've been too strong a word) by making all this public. YOU wanted all this discussed over PUBLIC, not private IRC channels, and you wouldn't ever shoot straight. He would say, "You want me to tranfer the money" and you would not reply. Why you did this, I don't know. He makes light hearted/fun bets all the time, both privately and publically on this forum...I guess I feel like you expoloited him in the way you handled things, and how you responded to everyone. He offered to pay you immediately, yet you just strung it out...If it wasn't about the money? Then what was it about? You know that people would have a stong reaction to how you played your hand here, yet you made no effort to clear things up...In schneids post, you responded to just about everyone BUT GoT.

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain to me what exactly it is that I started, where I have tried to teach GoT any lesson, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I make an effort read the forums, and it seems to me, that at least publically, you seem to like to give GoT a hard time. Whether or not you were "Teaching him a lesson" or not was not the point. When Schneids made that post, you could have stomped it by just saying in so many words..."I was just messing around with GoT, he shoulda realized what he was getting into...But no I am not going to make him pay."- whatever, you get the point...Yet, your first post was a defesinve one, almost justifying actions...(chumming). People even defended you and said you would not make him pay, and then you chimmed in "I stand by everthing I have said here" being all purposely vauge. It seems to me that you wanted to spark up discussion over this episode.

[ QUOTE ]
Why the f are you asking me this rather than Schneids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because, people were confused...and instead of clearing it up and explaining the situation and yourself, you dragged it along till half the forum was involved...

[ QUOTE ]
WTF are you talking about? Everyone on IRC who was not a complete nitwit knew we were just screwing around. Perhaps someone will actually post the IRC logs and you will see how ridiculous you are being.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...The person you made the bet with was pretty much confused. He had no idea if you were joking, or serious or whatever. If you honestly think that "everyone on IRC who was not a complete nitwit knew [that you] were just screwing around" then we can just agree to disagree cause I think that was not the case at all.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if it's that you're just wound up real tight, oversensitive, or stupid. One of those things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw I am pretty much neither. I am pretty smart maybe a tad above average, and usually pretty mellow, I just like to understand why people do things. Must be the psychologist in me...But all the analagies and hypotheticals you give work out great on paper, but you eliminate the human aspect in the ACTUAL situation. You are not that kid who eats hot-dogs, A cave man, a steroid using b-ball player, Amarillo slim, any other analogy given. I would even be willing to bet that your not even a spanish luchador... You, underhandidly, won a bet with a fellow 2+2'er (which was pretty funny in itself), but then instead of playing it cool, you made him, and everyone esle think that you were going to make him pay up. Why? Thats kinda what I want to know.

But about the whole betting on the game, I am pretty sure thats how it would work out hypothetically...Could you make the bet? : yeah. Do you have the right too?: sure. Who's bad is it if he takes the bet?: his. But would you do it, to a buddy while watching a game while drinking some beers? Naw. Why? cause that would be dicked.

So why be dicked to fellow forum friends? or SEEMINGLY dicked cause most likely you weren't going to make him pay.

Catch-

Wayfare
02-09-2005, 11:08 PM
They did that on fresh prince of bel air. Geoffrey ended up scamming, getting scammed, quitting his job and insulting uncle phil.

But then everyone hugged and geoffrey came back.

MMMMMM
02-09-2005, 11:11 PM
OK, El D., here's a scenario:

You're sitting around your house with your friend, having beers, etc., almost the same scenario except there wasn't a soccer game the night before. You flip on your TV and soccer is about to start (it's live not a replay; there will be a different game replayed two nights hence and you're going to invite your buddy over for beers that evening too;-)).

The commercials are on first so you take a piss before the game really starts and grab some brews from the fridge, returning with two awesome beers in each paw and an anticipatory smile and you both start watching and drinking. It's a pretty exciting game and you're both really into it.

In the last 10 minutes of the game, one team is way ahead and a scenario such as you described plays out between you and your friend, except this time it's legit. You bet. You lose...ah well, you got good odds on the bet, so cest la vie. Besides, your buddy will be coming back two nights from now, hahahahaha.

Unbeknownst to you however, your chum has tonight slipped a VCR or DVD of a recent game into the player while you were taking a piss, and you've been watching a replay after all. He also covered up the little red light or whatever with black tape, and you were so nice and relaxed having beers and enjoying the game from a comfortable distance on your wide-screen LCD TV that you never noticed a thing (assume your setup is such that this could actually occur).

After the game your friend asks for another of those great beers so you go to take another piss and grab a few more brews from the fridge. While you are out of the room your friend quickly undoes all evidence of his little trick.

What do you think when you find out about all this later?

tbach24
02-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Damn, I missed it. I love that show.

Ulysses
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Whoa, MMMMMMMMM, that's all way too complicated.

It's very simple for me. I won't angle anyone in such a manner, except for friends with whom I screw around in this nature for amounts which we can exchange and then all laugh about how funny it was that someone got hoodwinked.

Tyler Durden
02-09-2005, 11:25 PM
It should be illegal to use the word 'hoodwinked' as many times as you have today.

Voltron87
02-09-2005, 11:27 PM
ni han?

MMMMMM
02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
That sounds cool then.

BTW I changed the post slightly since you responded to make it flow better, but you were too quick.

Now, to sample a new brew, from a Sam Adams BrewMaster's Collection Mix Pack (boxed dozen brews, two of each type).

Since the Black Lager was tried this afternoon, it looks like it shall be the Hefeweizen tonight. Black Lager = pretty decent but not raving great or anything.

Arsene Lupin III
02-09-2005, 11:31 PM
El Di(a)b(lo)s,

Wasn't this in Doyle's "Wisdom of a Champion" collection of short stories, anecdotes, and nuggets of poker philosophy?

-adam

Catch of the Day
02-09-2005, 11:34 PM
shh...or you can "haha"...or, you could explain yourself...

Catch-

Voltron87
02-09-2005, 11:34 PM
So basically what if two bettors watch a game, which was taped by one party who knows the result?

I find it legal. Unless you lie about the game and its time, then it becomes tomfoolery.

Ulysses
02-09-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YOU wanted all this discussed over PUBLIC, not private IRC channels, and you wouldn't ever shoot straight. He would say, "You want me to tranfer the money" and you would not reply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he messaged me in private asking if I wanted him to transfer me the money and instead I told him to ask me in a public IRC channel where flux and I made a mockery of the whole thing. Yes, you guys are wound too tight.

[ QUOTE ]
You know that people would have a stong reaction to how you played your hand here, yet you made no effort to clear things up...In schneids post, you responded to just about everyone BUT GoT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should I make an effort to clear anything up? I feel no such responsibility. GoT accepted a bet where he got hoodwinked and if I want to collect, he's offered to pay. What's unclear? As for my responses in the thread, many people decided to jump in and voice their opinions, some of which I chose to respond to. I primarily responded simply pointing out instances where people used horrible logic and reasoning. Even drunk, GoT did not make any posts that I felt were stupid or showed horrible logic, so I did not respond to his posts.

[ QUOTE ]
When Schneids made that post, you could have stomped it by just saying in so many words..."I was just messing around with GoT, he shoulda realized what he was getting into...But no I am not going to make him pay."- whatever, you get the point..

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Why should I do that?

[ QUOTE ]
Because, people were confused...and instead of clearing it up and explaining the situation and yourself, you dragged it along till half the forum was involved...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I simply pointed out some examples of other situations that shared certain characteristics with this situation. And then responded to a number of poorly reasoned posts. I continue to find it interesting that some who so easily condemn one activity feel completely fine with certain other activities. Much of that was clearly people rationalizing their own behaviors.

[ QUOTE ]
Um...The person you made the bet with was pretty much confused. He had no idea if you were joking, or serious or whatever. If you honestly think that "everyone on IRC who was not a complete nitwit knew [that you] were just screwing around" then we can just agree to disagree cause I think that was not the case at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I maintain my contention that anyone reading those comical logs would come to the obvious conclusion that GoT was being screwed around with.

[ QUOTE ]
but then instead of playing it cool, you made him, and everyone esle think that you were going to make him pay up. Why? Thats kinda what I want to know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? What? Please point out where I did that. As I said in the other thread, I can't believe people kept posting after James282's response.

Ulysses
02-09-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It should be illegal to use the word 'hoodwinked' as many times as you have today.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used it again in my latest post, just for you!

Ulysses
02-09-2005, 11:51 PM
PS - the nature of any such bets that I might collect on is such that the person paying up will care little if at all about the money he pays out but will care a lot about the ceaseless mocking he will receive from the group for countless weeks/months/years to come, depending on the degree to which he got bamboozled.

Voltron87
02-09-2005, 11:53 PM
weeks/months/years/decades/generations I hope.

sfer
02-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Sounds like your friends should know better.

Ulysses
02-10-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your friends should know better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, they do. They just want to take me down in a prop bet, though.

My favorite was a bet where the bet was what I had for dinner the night before.

nolanfan34
02-10-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PS - the nature of any such bets that I might collect on is such that the person paying up will care little if at all about the money he pays out but will care a lot about the ceaseless mocking he will receive from the group for countless weeks/months/years to come, depending on the degree to which he got bamboozled.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really possible to argue against this. Anyone with a close group of friends will realize that you're right on here.

I say it's time that everyone moves off of this whole subject along with that other thread, and starts making fun of GoT for losing to a computer.

sfer
02-10-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I meet your friends?

nolanfan34
02-10-2005, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I meet your friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse to believe you couldn't get Evan and JBB to do this.

Richard Tanner
02-10-2005, 01:28 AM
Ok, at this point, you'd be the ass if you went through with it.

Cody

Richard Tanner
02-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Yeah, he's an ass, but he's not a scumbag. THere's a difference.

Cody

Nottom
02-10-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting around the house having some beers with friends. We flip on the TV and Fox Sports World is showing a good soccer game. We start watching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should have gotten 7-1.

mikeyvegas
02-10-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PS.... bamboozled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I prefer hoodwinked.

jesusarenque
02-10-2005, 05:22 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
Not that you will care about my oppinion, or what I have to say; however, I am going to chime in...

Firstly I know this is not the place to post this, but I really dont feel like posting it in the other thread with 200+ some odd replies, so I will anyway.

I have read through both posts, and have personally talked with Got, so I feel like I am in the know in terms of what happened with the whole web boggle bet thing.

I just want to say that it's weak that you expoited someone who IMO is a pretty upstanding guy. Yes you argue very well, and very convivcingly. You are very good at exploiting the weaknesses in other people's reasoning. You are obviously a very intelligent person, who "technically" opperated within the paramaters of said bet and swindled a pretty cool guy out of 500 hundred dollars. Will you make him pay? IMO: NO. Did you string this along, and hash this out in a rediculously public manner? Yes. I think what you did in all honesty was funny as hell, until you decided that you were going to "teach him a lesson" or whatever the hell this ended up being. I always thought you were a great poster, and I just equated that with you being a good person. Guy always talked pretty highly of you. But this whole thing seems just...well..."Dicked". I don't know if you were just bored and wanted to pick a fight. Or if you like to hear yourself type or somthing, but man...What actually motivated you to turn somthing that was actually hilarious, into this whole dramatic fiasco?

I think you just like to be antagonistic and contrary cause you smart enough to do so. I always had to lot of respect for what you had to sya, but I really can't understand what was the point of this whole ordeal other than just instigating a fight.

Cool, we learned a lot about proposition betting. But in the context of the situation, I mean come on...Me and Got bet on everything, cause its fun. Friendly wagers occur all the time...When [censored] like this happens (e.g. angle shooting), they stop becoming friendly and about the competition, and become about the money. If you were proping him for money then take the [censored] money. If you were doing it for friendly competition then laugh cause you tricked him, and leave it at that. But to leave him hanging, force him to dicuss it publically over IRC and the thread and skirt the issue about the doe, then chime in later being all like "I never actually said anywhere technically that I wanted GoT to pay me" just shows that you hd alterior motives. None of which really cast you in any sort of favorable light.

Maybe you were tired of being revered on the forums, and wanted someone to finally dis-agree with you. who knows...

Oh, and if you were my friend and you [censored] me out of x-amount of money cause you saw the live broadcast the night before, and you made me pay...Most likely it would be better that you keep it a secret, cause me and the rest of the boys would probably throw you a beatin', or, in reality, just not really be cool with you anymore. Either way, I think you end up being the bigger looser. I would rather have friends then money. But um...Yeah I am done.

Catch-

Edited: cause I cannot spell, nor type

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He does not "argue very well." At least he didn't demonstrate it in that thread.

jesusarenque
02-10-2005, 05:27 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
OK, El D., here's a scenario:

The commercials are on first so you take a piss before the game really starts and grab some brews from the fridge, returning with two awesome beers in each paw

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. How does he get two beers in each paw?

MicroBob
02-10-2005, 05:56 AM
There was also an episode of MASH where they did that.

Frank Burns was listening to the late-night broadcast of the baseball game and when all the enlisted guys were listening to the replay at 3p the next day he would walk right up and place bets on the result.

They all get him back with Hawkeye as an announcer (no idea how they got the frequency) faking a baseball broadcast late at night (complete with BJ and Radar and Klinger providing sound-effects) so that Frank had the incorrect final-score and everyone got their money back.

good times.

For some reason the stupidity of this scenario reminds me of Klinger saving Dr. Charles Winchester's life...Charles saying he was 'forever' in Klinger's debt...and then Klinger taking the situation too far to the point where Winchester didn't feel that indebted anymore.
It was very similar to an episode of the Brady Bunch where Greg was indebted to Bobby....and Bobby took advantage of the situation.

daveymck
02-10-2005, 06:10 AM
As far as this one is concerned anyone who doesnt know either that their team was playing the night before or the score of said match gets everything they deserve, cant stand the new breed of plastic "soccer" fans.

MicroBob
02-10-2005, 06:56 AM
I'm kind of a fan...I played in high-school...and still play on an adult-league team....with uniforms and refs and playoffs, etc...a lot of folks who grew up anywhere BUT the U.S. good stuff.

But I don't pretend to follow the sport and thus don't consider myself a "fan"...I'll catch the occasional replay on FSN when it's on but I have no idea what is happening in the European or Latin American leagues.
Or sometimes even watch an MLS match...but I am certainly not in the new breed of 'fans'.

daveymck
02-10-2005, 07:50 AM
man Utd and many other teams have a fan base outside their country and are trying to break the US market I understand from a business perspective to open up new income streams etc (Malcolm Glazer who owns one of the US football teams is currently trying to buy out man utd).

But I dont understand why anyone from the US, China, Japan and all these places get form being a fan of a team that they have no affinity with the place they are from, I support my local team because its my local team from my area its part of me and the area I grew up in.

Its like I watch some American Football but cant support any particular team cos none of them mean anything to me, yes you see lots of people in the UK wearing gear form a particular team or saying they support them, the majority probably have never even been to the place or to a match so again I cant understand the reasoning.

I dont know how this relates to the US really cos your teams are frachises and can move around to different cities dont know how that affects the passin and loyalty, over here on team moved 50 miles up the road, all the supporters boycotted them and now have setup their own team rather than support a team that is the same club but does not represent their locality.

MicroBob
02-10-2005, 08:40 AM
When I was in England in 1989 I met these guys who wanted to talk American football with me.
One guy said he was a fan of the Denver Broncos...another said he liked the Minnesota Vikings, etc etc.

Im not even sure they had much idea where Minnesota or Denver were.

When I said I was from Cincinnati they knew that meant I probably liked the Bengals....but I think I recall them asking where Cincy was and me explaining that I was in the midwest...closer to Chicago than to NY or LA or Miami.

Pretty sure there are NY Yankees fans all over the world of many people who never have been to NY.

My GF is from Peru and she says that when she went to H.S. all the boys had Michael Jordan posters and were wearing Chicago Bulls gear (and some other NBA teams).

Looks to me like Man-U is just trying to follow in the foot-steps of some American teams that have received decent profits from popularity in markets way outside their region.

sleepyjoeyt
02-10-2005, 09:15 AM
I haven't read any of the other posts - and I don't really need to in order to give you the only correct answer.

"YOU ARE SITTING AROUND WITH FRIENDS"

This is enough so that you should only make a bet with full disclosure, where the outcome is uncertain.

Now if you wait until your friend hands you the $100 and then give it back to him then that's funny, a cool move, guy looks like an ass, etc.

But if you ever actually took the $ then you have no idea what it is to have a friend.

And in that case, I feel bad for you.

razor
02-10-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read any of the other posts - and I don't really need to in order to give you the only correct answer.

This is enough so that you should only make a bet with full disclosure, where the outcome is uncertain.

Now if you wait until your friend hands you the $100 and then give it back to him then that's funny, a cool move, guy looks like an ass, etc.

But if you ever actually took the $ then you have no idea what it is to have a friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

sfer
02-10-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking money from an unemployed guy living with mom and dad and a midget college student who apparently can't use the Yellow Pages to find a bar reputed to have good burgers sounds like....fun.

sfer
02-10-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a lot of hugging involved when your friends get together?

nolanfan34
02-10-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking money from an unemployed guy living with mom and dad and a midget college student who apparently can't use the Yellow Pages to find a bar reputed to have good burgers sounds like....fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

meep_42
02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is right out of Super/System.

-d

Sponger15SB
02-10-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the fact that you'd watch the same soccer game twice really sad.

I play soccer ever week and I can barely watch my own team play with snoozing.

jdl22
02-10-2005, 01:44 PM
How do you still get action?

Ulysses
02-10-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How do you still get action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the other day I got action on "I bet I have more money on me than you have on you."

Ulysses
02-10-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect my friends and I have a lot more fun than a lot of people here.

rickthekeg
02-10-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find the fact that you'd watch the same soccer game twice really sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn
02-10-2005, 03:26 PM
I find the fact that you just quote responses and say nothing more really sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

beerbandit
02-10-2005, 03:33 PM
dirty

but somehow not unfamiliar

tripdad
02-10-2005, 03:36 PM
i'm not sure i would take $100 to even sit and watch a soccer match, let alone the same match twice within 24 hours.

cheers!

astroglide
02-10-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can I meet your friends?

[/ QUOTE ]

wow you guys really don't get it. they would never be your friend.

Gamblor
02-10-2005, 04:58 PM
It's very simple for me. I won't angle anyone in such a manner, except for friends with whom I screw around in this nature for amounts which we can exchange and then all laugh about how funny it was that someone got hoodwinked.

BINGO.

Friendship is about more than money.

I regularly bamboozle (sometimes I only hoodwink) friends out of money all the time, and they do it to me.

It's only money. I'd bamboozle my friends for free (and do).

One time I challenged a friend to bang the grossest, most ape-faced girl we knew and when he did, he called me mid-thrust and proceeded to "apologize" profusely for having sex with the girl he know I was "in love" with, while she listened to all of it. He kept at it for half an hour, he was shouting and pretending to cry, it was great.

Neither of us have seen her since, but apparently she told some friends that he had "raped" her. (dude's a total pimp, nobody would ever believe he needed to rape anyone so they didn't believe her)

This story had no point.

Freakin
02-10-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find the fact that you just quote responses and say nothing more really sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]