PDA

View Full Version : Big win with a bluff, did I play this right?

Metalhead3201
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm holding a K /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif. There were only 3 of us at the table and I'm on the button. I check, SB bets big and BB calls and I call.

The flop: 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
They both check to me, so I raised a big bet. They both called.

The turn: an A /images/graemlins/heart.gif pops up. SB checks, BB checks, I raise. SB folds, BB calls.

The river: J /images/graemlins/club.gif I have nothing at this point and I know the other guy has a A. He bets small, I get the feeling he wants to know what I have. I go all in, and my stack is about 2/3 the size of his. He thinks for a while about it then folds.

He wanted to know what I had, and since it was such a huge steal for me I showed him for [censored] and giggles. I had a K high and he had an A. He felt pretty stupid after that, I felt he just played really bad.

Would you have had me play differently or did I play that correctly considering the factor of knowing I was playing against someone who wasn't very good at poker.

SeattleJake
02-09-2005, 06:54 PM
No, you got lucky that you were against a weak opponent. I don't think you represented a full-house along the way, and a normal player would have folded on the turn if he didn't like his kicker.

After the call on the turn, i would have said it was you that was walking into the trap. In my experience, you'll be called more often than not in that instance, especially by someone who isn't very good at playing poker.

doublesuited
02-09-2005, 08:47 PM
I agree with Seattle, bad play. It's a good thing you were playing against a moron. This is a bad place to bluff with K high, and the fact that someone layed that down blows my mind. There are better bluffing opportunities than this. I know it looks like the guys on tv are just bluffing whenever the mood strikes them, but I assure you they aren't.

railbird8
02-09-2005, 11:44 PM
i like your bluff. Sometimes u just have to do something diffrent. Bluffing is a big part of poker and u did it good here.

btw nice move by showing the bluff, u might put him on tilt. lol not the show, but he might start playin too loose cause he's mad.

dankhank
02-10-2005, 12:38 AM
terrible spot to bluff especially since you "know" the guy has an ace. bluffs are a wonderful weapon but they need to be used with genius discrimination.

Shibby
02-10-2005, 12:55 AM
You didn't raise, you just bet.

TheShootah
02-10-2005, 01:10 AM
How did you check on the button? I wouldn't have put you on an ace simply because you didn't raise the button with an ace. I know most of the guys I play with would pop it. Not to mention with all the money that was in the pot from the big raise and bets on the flop + blinds I think he has to call regardless.

Snoogins47
02-10-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You didn't raise, you just bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that. Very hard. Like, harder than you've ever seen anything seconded.