PDA

View Full Version : Question about SSHE

David04
02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
I am re-reading SSHE, and I am at the part about "Hidden Outs" I understand the concept just fine, and I am able to count my hidden outs almost always(with the mini quizzes in this section) All the quizzes tell you your hand, the board and your opponents hand. Obviously, you wouldn't know your opponent's cards, so how would you count your hidden outs? Are you just supposed to guess your opponents hand and then calculate hidden outs? How much do hidden outs really matter?

VTDuffman
02-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't think "guess" is the correct term. It's more like deduce your opponents holdings based on their actions and tendencies.

SeeWillie
02-09-2005, 06:52 PM
I think the point is to be aware that if you have an overpair, for example, and your opponent's aggressiveness makes you put him on two pair, you can count a couple of extra outs because if the board pairs you have a chance of counterfeiting his low-pair. So, if you have QQ and your opponent has 89 on a flop of J89, you can count as your outs the 2 Qs, plus the 3 Js that will give you two pair with the higher top pair. You don't need to know which of the flop ranks is safe for you, you just count three additional outs in that case.

These are not always full outs, though. If you think there is a 50% chance he has 2 pair, and 50% chance he has a set, then you would only count 1.5 extra outs, since half of the time the board pairing does not help.

May be oversimplifying, but that is my understanding. Someone wanna agree with me or shoot me down?

shadow29
02-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Ed sums it up at the end of the chapter, saying "If you've got top pair, you always have an additional 4 outs against two pair."

That's basically the concept you need to know.

afk
02-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Hand reading baby, hand reading. If you can put your oppoenent on a decent range of hands you're able to asses how many additional hidden outs you may have.