PDA

View Full Version : constant throat clearing in the office

lu_hawk
02-09-2005, 04:37 PM
there is a guy at work that clears his throat all day, every day. it annoys me extremely. and it makes it hard to concentrate on my work when he is doing it badly. when asked about it he says it is because of asthma.

so first question is can asthma cause you to need to clear your throat all day? i don't think it can but maybe somebody with asthma can tell me.

second question. assuming he doesn't have a valid medical excuse and this is just an annoying habit then what is the best course of action?

maryfield48
02-09-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is a guy at work that clears his throat all day, every day. it annoys me extremely. and it makes it hard to concentrate on my work when he is doing it badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not so bad when he does it well?

Benal
02-09-2005, 04:53 PM
AHEM

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Off him.

brassnuts
02-09-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
assuming he doesn't have a valid medical excuse and this is just an annoying habit then what is the best course of action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deal with it.

B00T
02-09-2005, 05:04 PM
ask your boss if you can move your seat..state the need for a window or away from a window because of eye problems. Request that its too hot too cold, and just move away from him.

B00T
02-09-2005, 05:05 PM
blast music so you dont hear him

Bluffoon
02-09-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is a guy at work that clears his throat all day, every day. it annoys me extremely. and it makes it hard to concentrate on my work when he is doing it badly. when asked about it he says it is because of asthma.

so first question is can asthma cause you to need to clear your throat all day? i don't think it can but maybe somebody with asthma can tell me.

second question. assuming he doesn't have a valid medical excuse and this is just an annoying habit then what is the best course of action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do something equally disgusting like every time you talk to him pull out a tissue and start blowing you nose. Blame it on allergies and when you are done with the conversation be sure to extend your hand.

private joker
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It can. My roommate has asthma and he clears his throat all day. I've just learned to tune it out.

elwoodblues
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do something equally disgusting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Equally disgusting to clearing your throat? I can't imagine anything that disgusting.

AncientPC
02-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Hawk a loogie (sp?) and start spitting on the ground / into trash cans or plant pots.

slickpoppa
02-10-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do something equally disgusting...

[/ QUOTE ]

Equally disgusting to clearing your throat? I can't imagine anything that disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take a diarrhea on his desk. Tit for tat.

jasonHoldEm
02-10-2005, 04:31 AM
I have this same problem (post nasal drip (http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/nose/nasal.cfm)), basically it's mucus collecting in the back of your throat (yum) causing semi-constant irritation which leads to semi-constant throat clearing, co-worker annoyance, death threats, etc.

Chances are (if he's anything like me) he does it subconciously almost all of the time, but if you mention it to him he's probably very self-concious about it (i.e. he doesn't notice himself doing it 99% of the time, but is aware of it and how annoying it can be for others and generally is embarassed about it and feels bad).

Anyways, it's a real condition that some people suffer from (and being astmatic just makes it worse), other than suggesting he drink more water (which thins the mucus and makes it less irrititating = less throat clearing) or trying some nose sprays, your best bet is probably to try and move to a different area where you won't hear him. Unfortunately he probably won't/can't stop and bugging him about it won't help things.

Peace,
J

MicroBob
02-10-2005, 05:20 AM
I too fall in this category.

Not a full-fledged throat-clear...but a few subconcious coughs in there....or nose-sniffs....one winter it was more of a full-fledged subcoincious snort!
Really pleasant for those around me.

I don't believe I have asthma....but when I play soccer (or tennis or whatever) I'm always gasping for air much more than other players so I do have some sort of breathing situation going on.

I also have some other quirks that are kind of facial-ticks I guess.
I was never diagnosed officially...when I was a kid most doctors just thought it was allergies...but now the general consensus of those close to me is that I probably have some sort of form of low-grade Tourette's syndrome (without the spontaneous "you're a douche-bag" outbursts).

I used to have different types of ticks that would show up for 6-12 months at a time..and then might switch.
One summer when I was around 18 it was more of a nose-twitch and this girl I was totally hot for said I looked like a bunny-rabbit.

I believe that my facial-ticks and blinking are related to my occasional subconcious coughing/sniffing.

It's also something I fear will be most disadvantageous for live play.

Reef
02-10-2005, 05:50 AM
cough drops?

smudgex68
02-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Just close the door to your office, you won't hear it then so much. Also, if you smoke like I do, the smoke won't drift out into other offices which could make those "overly sensitive" people cough

slickpoppa
02-10-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just close the door to your office, you won't hear it then so much. Also, if you smoke like I do, the smoke won't drift out into other offices which could make those "overly sensitive" people cough

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that the OP might have a cubicle and not have a door to close. As for the smoking, most office buildings in the US are strictly smoke-free nowadays.

nicky g
02-10-2005, 11:15 AM
"Just close the door to your office"

Or if that fails, get in your gold car and drive home to you supermodel wife in your 500-bedroom mansion and quit because you're a multi trillionaire.

Not all of us have our own offices, you heartless bastard /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif Don't rub it in.

smudgex68
02-10-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that the OP might have a cubicle and not have a door to close.

[/ QUOTE ]

His best course of action is probably to work a bit harder and get promoted so he has his own office.

nicky g
02-10-2005, 11:18 AM
I hate you.

tek
02-10-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do something equally disgusting like every time you talk to him pull out a tissue and start blowing you nose. Blame it on allergies and when you are done with the conversation be sure to extend your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take your cube apart and clean fish... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I'd take throat clearing over some chick cracking gum every second for 8 hours 5 days a week... /images/graemlins/mad.gif

A_C_Slater
02-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Play Tetris all day until the boss promotes you.

Michael Davis
02-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Stop making him swallow.

-Michael

lu_hawk
02-10-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stop making him swallow.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

the only good advice i have gotten.