PDA

View Full Version : office chair

sublime
02-09-2005, 01:54 PM
well, a desk chair.

i need one, and am not sure if it matters if i spend extra money or not. like i can go to wallmart and probably get something cheap and serviceable, but should i?

i can afford to spend more if i have to, but do i?

discuss

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-09-2005, 01:58 PM
It's becoming more and more evident to me that it's most likely well worth it to spend the extra for a good chair. I'm thinking of getting an Aeron or similar. I can't have (m)any more nights like last night at the poker table, though, if I'm going to spend that kind of cash on a chair. I couldn't believe what was happening. So as not to have too much poker content, and worse yet, bad beat stories, I'll just leave it to you to imagine a bunch of ridiculous bad beats and chances are they all happened to me last night.

Anyway, office chairs. I'm more and more for the expensive good ones every day.

tbach24
02-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Me, I'm comfortable in many chairs. However, I find that most people, especially those in their chairs for long periods at a time prefer more comfort. If you can get something decent that you think that you could spend 8 hours in a row in at walmart, then get that. However, if not, look elsewhere.

Slacker13
02-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Never skimp on the office chair, your ass is it 6hours + a day and you should be comfortable. Just make sure it is big and soft.

Jack of Arcades
02-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah dude, it's worth it to spend a lot on a chair. I got a decent one but an Aeron's one of my next purchases.

sublime
02-09-2005, 04:08 PM
can i get a good one at like office max?

shadow29
02-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I got a fine leather (fake?) at Office Depot for <$100. Rolls and everything.

pokerjo22
02-09-2005, 04:57 PM
I'd advise against an Aeron chair. They're really not that comfortable. There are way more comfortable chairs for a lot cheaper price IMHO. This site pretty much sums it up:

http://www.dack.com/misc/aeron.html

I'll add to that, the armrests are constantly falling down.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-09-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd advise against an Aeron chair. They're really not that comfortable. There are way more comfortable chairs for a lot cheaper price IMHO. This site pretty much sums it up:

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I saw that site - thanks for the tip. I'm not in love with the aeron, but was just interested in checking them out, as well as some other high-quality chairs. I'm sick of the OfficeMax chairs.

pokerjo22
02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Well FWIW my current chair is very comfy. It's a Leap chair apparently.

beerbandit
02-09-2005, 05:36 PM
the amount sou spend the chair might matter to an extent, id be more concerned if you have back problems

i could use one that has two cup holders built into the arms

benfranklin
02-09-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the amount sou spend the chair might matter to an extent, id be more concerned if you have back problems

i could use one that has two cup holders built into the arms

[/ QUOTE ]

Push that little button on the front of your computer and the cup holder will pop right out /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob Blackburn
02-09-2005, 05:48 PM
Here is the higher end chairs I've been looking at.

Herman Miller Aeron
Herman Miller Mirra
Steelcase Leap
Humanscale Freedom
Knoll Life

I've been doing 6hr. a day and I gotta get something I can't take it in my $100 pleather Offie Depot model much longer.

The big problem I have found in my two weeks of looking is it is pretty hard to find a retailer local to you that has models you can actually sit in and try out. I'm having a tough time just buying one blind, it would be hard to swallow if I dump 6-8 hundred into something I don't like.

sublime
02-09-2005, 05:49 PM
jo-

you rule

AviD
02-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Anyone ever seen this one or know of anyone that has it?
Seems pretty unique and there are comments (who knows, could be made up) of computer users sitting comfortably in this all day.

http://www.kneelsit.com/index.html

Been looking for a replacement for my Office Max chair myself...

Another sick chair LOL

http://thev1chair.com/V1sales.htm

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-09-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone ever seen this one or know of anyone that has it?
Seems pretty unique and there are comments (who knows, could be made up) of computer users sitting comfortably in this all day.

http://www.kneelsit.com/index.html

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to have a chair similar to this, only without a back and the base was rounded so you can rock on it. My grandfather was a chiropractor and all his office staff sat on these chairs all day every day. It's supposed to be very good for your back. I personally wouldn't want to sit in one all day, though. It's good because it makes you sit up straight all on your own, but it's just like making yourself not slouch all day - if you do it, you'll have great posture, but it's a pain in the ass if you're not used to it.

astroglide
02-09-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd advise against an Aeron chair. They're really not that comfortable. There are way more comfortable chairs for a lot cheaper price IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

for me it's not about extreme comfort it's about many hours of comfort. sitting in an aeron is nowhere near flopping onto a nice beanbag, but you can sit in one for 14 hours straight and walk away without any aches or adjustments.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i can understand people disliking it, but i don't get any of this reasoning.

- lumbar support is designed to poke you in the back. that's what it does on every chair i own with it including my car. i believe it's also an option on the chair, and in any case it can be adjusted for position or removed.

- i don't find the armrest adjustment difficult to use, nor do i find myself adjusting it after initially setting it.

- i've never heard of anybody's pants getting worn out by the mesh material, and i've been using the chairs almost all the time since their explosion in 1999.

- i sit with my legs hooked underneath the chair (resting on the wheel bars) most of the time and i don't recall experiencing any kind of cutoff.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

again, i've never seen that one. and i've probably got 40 aerons in my office right now.

it's quite popular to bash them, and i can understand disliking them, but these 'points' are just contrived (usually by somebody who is balking at the price).

wacki
02-09-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The videos of that chair are gay as hell. It's so fake. A quick look around and I found this article:

BOMB-A-TRON™ helps writers quickly file stories about the latest car bombing in Iraq. Select the city, the car make and model, the number of killed and wounded, and BOOM!, the BOMB-A-TRON™ writes the rest, right down to the quote from U.S. military spokesman that the bombing is a sign of the insurgents' desperation. Simply push the "Make Article" button, file with your editor, and you're done. Try it today!

The whole website seems like one big fake joke that fails horribly at trying to be funny. KNOW YOUR SOURCES!!!!!!!!

I'm suprised you guys took this website so seriously.

sublime
02-09-2005, 07:57 PM
it's quite popular to bash them, and i can understand disliking them, but these 'points' are just contrived (usually by somebody who is balking at the price).

well i am off to staples. i will let yout guys know what i got.

pokerjo22
02-09-2005, 08:03 PM
*sigh* sorry for not checking the source of that site you pedantic douche. To clarify: my personal experience with Aeron chairs has not been good, because my armrests fell down whenever I leaned on them. I like the chair I am currently sat on. It is comfortable. The label says it is a Leap chair. Hope that helps the OP in some small way.

sublime
02-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Hope that helps the OP in some small way

jo-

if you think calling me OP is going to get me to fly across the country and wine and dine you have another thing coming.

wacki
02-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Pokerjo22, I really wasn't trying to be an ass. But if you watch this video about the chair, how can you not think that website is a big joke?

http://www.dack.com/misc/aeron/waterfall.wmv

Plus the site says:

Patented Pellicle suspension material rated the equivalent of 220-grit sandpaper; tears khakis to shreds.

Why would anyone make a chair out of material like 220 grain sandpaper? Astroglide is a really smart person, I wouldn't doubt it at all if he was smarter than me. I'm just shocked that he took that website seriously, analyzed it, and made a rebuttal without noticing. I'm also suprised nobody else in this thread said something. That is all.

In all fairness to you, I have made the mistake of linking to a website I didn't fully check out. So I have made the mistake you just made. Some call it being lazy, others call it being short on time. My comment wasn't directed at you.

If I came off as an ass to you I didn't mean to, I didn't think you did anything majorly wrong.

sublime
02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
i a pretty compact chair for like $150 at staples. it was the most comfortable one there IMO, and i am pretty easy to please.

mission accomplished /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pokerjo22
02-10-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I came off as an ass to you I didn't mean to

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't SHOUT then. But no, I didn't look at the videos. I was just glad to see something that at first glance vindicated my opinion that Aeron chairs are uncomfortable trumped up status symbols, with wobbly armrests.

pokerjo22
02-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Where has this sudden fandom come from - are you trying to pick up the pieces of my heart after peace john nickel so cruelly broke it?

sublime
02-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Where has this sudden fandom come from - are you trying to pick up the pieces of my heart after peace john nickel so cruelly broke it?

jo-
its an obvious match, your young and pretty and to be frank, so am i. we both play poker, if it wasnt for the miles between us i would be check raising you in the dark right now /images/graemlins/grin.gif

/images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

nolanfan34
02-10-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

jo-
its an obvious match, your young and pretty and to be frank, so am i. we both play poker, if it wasnt for the miles between us i would be check raising you in the dark right now /images/graemlins/grin.gif

/images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, I laughed out loud at the last line. You're a crack up sublime, good stuff.

And Jo, sublime has been a fan of yours for a long time now.

sublime
02-10-2005, 01:06 AM
And Jo, sublime has been a fan of yours for a long time now.

i am glad somebody noticed /images/graemlins/frown.gif

dealer_toe
02-10-2005, 03:15 AM
You gotta spring for the good chair. I got a job at Office Depot selling furniture (rebuilding the BR). Check out the Posteurtech II. Its got the most ergonomics of any, you could probably live in the thing and never have a back problem.

astroglide
02-10-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
these 'points' are just contrived (usually by somebody who is balking at the price)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
are uncomfortable trumped up status symbols

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't need to look at the videos. they're just jokes. as far as the wobbly armrest thing, i've seen/used hundreds of them. the only way i can make the armrest wobbly is to intentionally loosen the adjustment on it (and reversing it solves the 'problem').

pokerjo22
02-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Well with mine, it doesn't matter how hard I tighten the little wheel thing, my armrests have slipped down by the end of the day. Oh, and my lumbar support slides down as well. But I only have an n of 1.

wacki
02-12-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't SHOUT then.

[/ QUOTE ]

?????

That is what got you so upset? Using caps??? I didn't know using capital letters was that offensive. When daryn said "KNOW YOUR SOURCES!" to me in the Napoleon dynamite thread, I looked at it and thought "Hey, that is good advice.". I guess I'm going to have to be a little more careful around the caps lock button. I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

Btw, that is the first time anyone has ever called me pedantic, or even ostentatious for that matter. I'm really not. If I was you would know a lot more about me.