PDA

View Full Version : Computer Geeks please help

mistrpug
02-09-2005, 01:15 PM
My parents computer freaked out on them. When it's turned on, it gets to the wallpaper, but the rest of the desktop doesn't show up (No icons or task bar). If I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del, I can get to the task manager. From there, I can run some programs and have them show up, but not all of them. For example, when I tried to run System Restore, the process was running (according to the task manager) but I can't actually see it. Making matters worse, they don't have the restore disk that came with the computer. Operating System is XP.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Shajen
02-09-2005, 02:04 PM
when you go into task manager, hit file>run and then type explorer.exe.

If it comes up, cool. If not, some questions to ask:

What recently changed?
Any new software installed?

Also, what happens when you boot into safe mode? Does it come up ok?

GL.

mistrpug
02-09-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
when you go into task manager, hit file>run and then type explorer.exe.

If it comes up, cool. If not, some questions to ask:

What recently changed?
Any new software installed?

Also, what happens when you boot into safe mode? Does it come up ok?

GL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to check when I get home, but to answer your questions:

They installed AOL 9.0 (even though I keep telling them to ditch AOL) I don't know if they installed anything else.

In safe mode, the same thing happens, only the black background comes up, and I can get to the task manager.

Shajen
02-09-2005, 02:32 PM
so you can't get task manager to come up at all when not booted into safe mode?

Can you go to last known good under boot options (f-6 or f-5, something like that in XP) and see what happens?

Basically at this point you are trying to get in long enough to get any information they want to keep off there before you reimage it. Of course, if you can uninstall AOL, do it, if only to see what happens after that.

Last known good boot option is a last resort in my book.

good luck.