PDA

View Full Version : SB defense at Party 10/20

Grisgra
02-09-2005, 12:53 PM
It seems to me that almost every player is open-raising from the button when it's folded to him -- I normally muck weak aces, KTo and worse, etc. when there's an open-raise from the CO or button, but I'm beginning to think that given the extra aggression in the 10/20 games that much of the time I'm folding the best hand.

Against certain players that I've detected are super-loose re stealing, I've 3-bet from the SB with crap like K7o (and, as expected, been ahead preflop, even if I don't win by showdown)

Hell, I've seen so many people open-raise UTG+1 with crap like J6s, I'm wondering whether I should *ever* be folding stuff like KJo or KTo in the SB for one bet . . . stupid 10/20!

Anyway, the question is, is it safe to 3-bet weak aces, KJo, KTo, QJo, etc. from the SB after a button steal attempt or CO steal attempt in *general* in 10/20, or should I be waiting to get a more solid read?

B00T
02-09-2005, 01:45 PM
I think this amongst everything else is very player dependant. If someone with a PFR over 10% (meaning they actually understand the difference between playing 6 max and usual raising from full games, then I will expect a lot more steals. Obviously, someone with 6% PFR, my KJ all of a sudden becomes garbage.

I know you want a specific answer of *general* but there isnt really a general for these games. I agree with the latter and getting a solid read of your two statements though.

When I sit at 6 max, my plan is to have at least 100 hands on at least 2 people at the table. I want to know these things and hate dealing with "unknowns". If going blind like PT didnt exist I would be folding only cause of the fact you are out of position.

Hope some of that helps.

Chizoad
02-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Against super laggy buttons who always raise I 3-bet with K9 and better, unless the player is willing to really go nuts on the flop/turn with nothing. Then you have to wait for something a bit better to 3-bet, or just call and hope to flop something to punish the maniac.

Against regular steal raisers I still 3-bet quite often, usually with any decent ace (A9 and up), sometimes with KJ and KQ. Against rocks everyone knows what to do.

With shorthanded games I like to see cheap flops, and I like to discourage laggy players from trying to steal my blinds, so I can see those cheap flops. Only way I can figure is to 3-bet em often enough that they *know* they're gonna be paying 3 bets to see a flop if they try to take out their aggression on me. BTW this is basically right out of the shorthanded section of HPFAP (21st century edition).

I would also like to point out in shorthanded games position can do strange things. In fact I believe it's often better to have the lead since most of the time you don't flop a pair, and neither does your opponent (heads up).

I do have some very interesting PT stats from the SB (slightly positive), and I was wondering if anyone else actually has made a profit from the SB over a reasonable number of hands.

Chiz

Grisgra
02-09-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do have some very interesting PT stats from the SB (slightly positive), and I was wondering if anyone else actually has made a profit from the SB over a reasonable number of hands.
Chiz

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running slightly positive from the SB over my last 30k hands of 5/10 . . . too early to say at 10/20, but I'm guessing not /images/graemlins/smile.gif.