PDA

View Full Version : Ball Four by Jim Bouton- Book review

sublime
02-09-2005, 12:26 PM
This guy was the Jose Canseco of the 70's, well except he is intelligent and witty.

Great book, a lot of great quotes and how baseball was before million doller paychecks.

nolanfan34
02-09-2005, 12:30 PM
I read this for the first time a few months ago. I forgot to post a review, because I was going to highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Funny book, with a lot of insight into the mindset of baseball front offices in the 60s, and proof that in some cases many things haven't changed, even in the sabermetric age.

sam h
02-09-2005, 12:31 PM
This book rocks.

[ QUOTE ]
"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that one. Kind of sentimental, but heartfelt.

Jack of Arcades
02-09-2005, 12:33 PM
The best baseball book ever.

stantheman
02-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Without a doubt. Years ahead of it's time, and still a great read decades later.

istewart
02-09-2005, 12:52 PM
One of the very best sports books, yep. Ty Cobb's biography by Al Stump is great too, as well as your pick of David Halberstam's books and, of course, Moneyball.

andyfox
02-09-2005, 12:56 PM
A terrific read, no doubt. There was tremendous controversy when it came out, many reporters feeling Bouton had not lived up to the ballplayers' "code," by revealing secrets. To think of Mickey Mantle leading the players to see what windows they could peer into . . .

My vote for the greateset baseball book is The Glory of Their Times by Lawrence Ritter.

sublime
02-09-2005, 01:04 PM
To think of Mickey Mantle leading the players to see what windows they could peer into

beaver shooting as they called it. the way he portrays the coaching staff is hilarious.

andyfox
02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Friend of mine has occasion to talk to Clete Boyer a few years ago. He said he (Boyer) and Maris used to live in Queens near the airport so they'd get dibs on the stews. Can't remember where my friend said the conversation took place, but in the middle of it, Boyer said "I have to visit my friend Jack," and took out a bottle of Jack Daniels and took a few swigs.

Those were the days . . .

Leo99
02-10-2005, 11:28 PM
It's been about 30 years since I first read it. Maybe I should reread it.

hyde
02-11-2005, 11:29 AM
I read it when it first came out too
the guy was hilarious. and honest.

Every time I hear some announcer say 'good hands" I still think of the player on the plane catching his puke and some guy saying " good hands"......
try thinking about that every time you hear good hands for 30 years......still laughing...