PDA

View Full Version : College, Sports, etc.

istewart
02-09-2005, 12:06 PM
Do you think that rooting for professional sports teams in your college city/area is acceptable? If you're out of college, have you continued to be a fan of these teams? I personally think a lot of it is pretty weak, because it's so prominent when teams are doing well. For example, many of the college kids in Boston that went crazy after the Red Sox won ("we've waited so long for this") just hopped right on the bandwagon. Same here in Philadelphia. I like the Eagles but I'm not a fan and everyone here just roots for them because they've been to the NFC championship the last four years.

So, in my limited experience, not cool. It's probably just my own bias against fair-weather fans. Your thoughts?

tbach24
02-09-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm with you man.

After the '01 super bowl, all these annoying people who didn't know anything about the team and probably hadn't watched a game until the SB were dressed up in Patriots stuff. Granted that this was in Middle School, so people were berated who didn't, it still bothered me. Also, when the Sox won it this year tons of people at my new school were suddenly Red Sox fans. They couldn't tell me who started in Left Field. That sort of stuff bothers me. The only teams I like that don't get that treament are UMass and the Celtics...I wonder why?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Edit- Also, isn't Jimmy Kimmel and Drew Barrymore the most annoying thing ever? It's a prime example of what I hate about sports. That's why the Celtics are my favorite team.

greg nice
02-09-2005, 12:38 PM
its the same in NY with the fagggot yankees.

tbach24
02-09-2005, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't imagine you would have that problem with the Yankees. THEY SUCK! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

istewart
02-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Yankees own.

tbach24
02-09-2005, 12:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yankees own

[/ QUOTE ]

The title of biggest chokers EVER!

istewart
02-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I nearly puked on Sunday when some bitch walked around all day in Eagles garb saying "one city, one team, one dream," yet immediately after the game was laughing and acted like the game hadn't happened.

tbach24
02-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I had a very similar story after the 2003 ALCS. That made me want to cry and some huge bitches who were all dressed up in the Sox parifanalia the day before were giggling. This is why girls shouldn't be allowed to watch sports.

istewart
02-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Where are you in Boston?

tbach24
02-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm in western MA. 90 minutes outside of Boston.

Voltron87
02-09-2005, 01:33 PM
I agree with you about the college stuff, you're bound to the city you grew up in. It's ok to have them as a "2nd favorite" but all the college students who went nuts about the Sox winning last year and the curse were full of [censored].

As for fair weather fans its a little harder to hate some of them as much since some fans see their team suceeding, pay attention, and then become real fans. But the others are still full of [censored].