PDA

View Full Version : Question about edges

Absolution
02-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Assuming you aren't under undue pressure from blinds or other factors, what's the smallest edge you're comfortable risking all of your chips for? If you're much better than your opponents? If you're somewhat better? If you're about equal? If your worse (I'd assume 50/50 here)?

I just ask because I've been busting out on some all-in calls in the 60-70% range (last 3 tournaments in a row) when I feel I am better. For example, in one hand I caught a KQx (2 suited) flop with KQd in late position against two weak limpers (~2000 in pot). First limper bets 1000. Second limper reraises to 2000 in a fairly obvious ego bet. I reraise all in with 10000 in chips. They both call. First limper has AA (ha). Second has KJ unsuited (ha). I lose on river to A, but that's not important. I find these types of edges come up a lot when it's multiway, I have a set or 2 pair and they have me covered. I tend to push on these hands against weak opponents attempting to buy a little bit of fold equity, make their call with top pair or two pair as -EV for them as possible (especially on connected/2-flush flops) and hopefully isolate one of them for the showdown.

This really isn't an EV question of course and I'm going to play here, I'm just wondering if it's better to try and survive with a few chips here since I probably won't get folds anyway, or just keep pushing here? My instinct says just keep pushing and let them call down with their overpair against my two pair, but then I think about that example in TPFAP where it's mathematically better to survive the first hand so that you can play the next. :/

Sorry if this is too general, feel free to berate.

SossMan
02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
somewhere between 55 and 60%.