PDA

View Full Version : What's a value bet?

afk
02-08-2005, 09:32 PM
I feel that since I moved up I haven't been back to this forum much and even in that short time I see a lot of usernames I don't really recognize. So for the newest of folk on this forum, I'm posting this hand as an example of what I consider good value betting is, since it's a term that's thrown around a lot.

I played this hand and thought "man, that's a pretty good example of a value bet. I should share that."

Two main opponents in this hand are two of the most loose-passive players I've played against in recent memory. They were both seeing ~50% flops, rarely raising preflop and just calling, calling, calling post flop except when one of them had made a hand. Notice how my kicker doesn't even play after the flop.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, SB folds.

River: (7 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 4c Ks (two pair, kings and fives).
UTG+2 has 7c Ad (one pair, fives).
MP2 has Jc As (two pair, jacks and fives).
Outcome: Hero wins 10 BB. </font>

I don't really expect this thread to be of much use to some of the more experienced players. But I think someone out there will get something out of it.

Dead
02-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Nice hand.

This is why we value bet.

Because fish will call you down with Ace-high routinely.

Redd
02-08-2005, 10:41 PM
(Hijack)
Hey AFK, happy one-year anniversary. In the totally heterosexual, "you've been on the boards for exactly a year" sort of way.

afk
02-08-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(Hijack)
Hey AFK, happy one-year anniversary. In the totally heterosexual, "you've been on the boards for exactly a year" sort of way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey good call. Didn't even notice.

Actually I signed up in Nov. 2003 under a different username that I promply forgot and rarely used. I kinda 'rediscovered' the forums and made this account when I started playing online...which would I guess be one year ago today. Wow, nickel and dime seems so far away...

Dead
02-08-2005, 11:24 PM
I hope that I can advance as fast as you. I've been playing .02/.04 for about 2 months now. I'd like to be at 2/4 by next February if possible, and 3/6 by next May-June.

I can dream.

Redd
02-08-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, nickel and dime seems so far away...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, just rub it in. I'm playing pacific nickel and dime right now.

Greg J
02-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Another reason to raise AJo preflop. MP1 got what he deserved.

EDIT: I mean Mp1

afk
02-08-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope that I can advance as fast as you. I've been playing .02/.04 for about 2 months now. I'd like to be at 2/4 by next February if possible, and 3/6 by next May-June.

I can dream.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey man. It's very possible. I don't even think I did it quickly, seeing as I played very little this past summer (out of town, around the province working) and I don't play nearly as much as a lot of 2+2ers. The beautiful thing about nano-limits is that if you're on tight money like I was (started with a $50 deposit), it's a hell of a good way to learn a lot of cheap lessons. Especially now that SSH is out.

Greg J
02-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Oh yeah Aaron: Happy anniversery -- but you know, in that totally homosexual I-wanna-do-you-all-night-long kinda way!

Dead
02-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Yeah.

It is certainly very trying to grind out a bankroll from .05/.10 but I feel that once I have done so, I will appreciate my bankroll more, because I don't think that many people build theirs from the bottom up.

Greg J
02-08-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep grinding away guys! I started there too as well as Aaron, and several other people. You will learn tons!

afk
02-09-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah Aaron: Happy anniversery -- but you know, in that totally homosexual I-wanna-do-you-all-night-long kinda way!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not till I'm a pooh-bah, Greg. Though apparently that isn't all that far away for me...weird.

vulturesrow
02-09-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep grinding away guys! I started there too as well as Aaron, and several other people. You will learn tons!

[/ QUOTE ]

I started out with a free 15 dollars at Gaming club and havent looked back. Granted Im only playing .5/1 right now but the fact that I didnt put in any of my own money is a point of pride. I also took a long break due to work. I am about to make the move up to 1/2 soon.