PDA

View Full Version : What are you giving up for lent?

Alobar
02-08-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm agnostic, and for the most part despise organized religion. However I still always give up something for lent (and party like the sinner I am on fat tuesday). I figure being a white american upper middle class male, I'm better off than several other billion people in this world, and in an effor to not totally become a spoiled prick, I like to give something up so I can remember what it feels like not to have something.

This year I'm giving up Alcohol and any food I didnt cook myself. (i.e. no restraunts, fast food, hot pockets, etc. etc.)

anyone else giving anything up? Are you doing it because it's part of your religion, or just cuz?

stabn
02-08-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm giving up nothing; the same i do for lent every year. Even when i was a Christian i didn't give up anything for lent (it seems to be sporatically followed for protestants, unlike catholics who seem to give up things for lent fairly religiously).

gaming_mouse
02-08-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are you giving up for lent?

[/ QUOTE ]

same as every year... my belief in christ.

miajag81
02-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I'm giving up making bad folds on the river.

mmbt0ne
02-08-2005, 09:31 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
unlike catholics who seem to give up things for lent fairly religiously

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice choice of words.

I was raised Catholic when my parents were married, but I've been Baptist for the last dozen or so years, and have never given anything up. I doubt I will this year either.

stabn
02-08-2005, 09:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Nice choice of words.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about using another word, but i thought it fit. I grew up baptist and lent almost never came up. It's probably the whole 'giving something up for the sake of giving something up' thing.

thatpfunk
02-08-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Made me laugh /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thatpfunk
02-08-2005, 09:38 PM
You're agnostic and you're giving up booze??? /images/graemlins/frown.gif Jesus Christ help you.

pshreck
02-08-2005, 09:46 PM
I'll be the first ignorant one to jump in with this post....

I thought the practice of giving something up for lent was ONLY followed by Catholics?

deacsoft
02-08-2005, 09:51 PM
I did this a couple years ago, but I liked it so much I'm doing it again. This year for Lent I'm giving up Lent. And yes. I am Catholic.

Reef
02-08-2005, 09:56 PM
I guess it's too late to say religion

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-08-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll be the first ignorant one to jump in with this post....

I thought the practice of giving something up for lent was ONLY followed by Catholics?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. This is a Catholic thing, at least officially/technically.

brassnuts
02-08-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm giving up religion.

Edit: Damn you reef.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Balki used to give up donuts. He only ate them at church, and you could still do what you gave up on sunday.

What a genious.

Bez
02-08-2005, 10:57 PM
This is good work. What a great thing to give up.

Chobohoya
02-08-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HDPM
02-09-2005, 12:04 AM
OMG. What good is being a white American upper middle class male if you give up booze and restaurants? Please. And to remember what it is like not having something? Get a grip on yourself. What you do is go to a nice bar and see people who have stuff you don't. Then you can be envious and know what it is like not to have something. For instance, I don't have an S Class all wheel drive. See, I'm a victim. If I saw somebody driving one, I could know what it is like to go without. And if you went to the bar to drink, you might realize you can't afford to spend a few million on a wine collection. Or owning your own distillery. See, right there you see how miserable human existence can be. And looking at your computer, can't you picture Bill Gates sitting on billions you are doing without?

As for me, well tonight I had to press the button on the automatic garage door opener 3 or 4 times before the door opened. What's up with that? I am a victim of that too. Why give up anything more. See, there is plenty of hardship if you look around.

(for sensitive readers, this post is not serious. No whiny responses about real human suffering.)

Well, one serious point. The whole idea of sacrifice is flawed. Particularly the view promulgated by the Catholic Church. I sort of get what you are saying about giving up something. However, to give up something because you feel guilty and to time it with a religious ritual that calls for it but that you don't follow seems a bit strange to me. You may be falling for altruism. Be careful because true altruism is horrendous. Even if you give something up, realize that you giving it up will not help anybody else. Your suffering will not help anybody else. So why bother? Even symbolic suffering strikes me as irrational. Better that you did something productive that might help somebody rather than just give up booze thinking somehow it is better to deprive yourself.

deacsoft
02-09-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This year for Lent I'm giving up Lent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with me on this one?

MarkL444
02-09-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any food I didnt cook myself. (i.e. no restraunts, fast food, hot pockets, etc. etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a good idea. if i could cook better i would maybe try it. good luck

eric5148
02-09-2005, 01:25 AM
I'm with you. But quoting yourself is gay.

deacsoft
02-09-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm with you. But qouting yourself is gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know and I'm sorry.

Michael Davis
02-09-2005, 01:27 AM
For Lent I am not going to let anyone insert anything into my anus.

-Michael

deacsoft
02-09-2005, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For Lent I am not going to let anyone insert anything into my anus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then that would mean that you like having that done and that it will be difficult for you to give it up.

Michael Davis
02-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Are you assuming I didn't already know that?

I generally autothreebet checkraises!

-Michael

deacsoft
02-09-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you assuming I didn't already know that?

I generally autothreebet checkraises!

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just making sure. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

2planka
02-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Catholicism

Duke
02-09-2005, 11:36 AM
People beat me to my response already.

~D