PDA

View Full Version : Flopping a boat gets royal flushed down the drain...

Dj007
02-08-2005, 08:57 PM
If anyone knows how I could have avoided this please let me know =).

MTT game 2nd hand of tournament.

BLINDS 10 / 20 no ante

UTG $1500
UTG+1 $1620
HERO MP$1500
Cutoff $1480
BB $1460

UTG, UTG+1 limp, HERO raises to $80, Cutoff calls, BB calls, UTG and UTG+1 call.
HERO A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

FLOP A /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif
checks to HERO who bets $160, cut off folds, BB calls, UTG and UTG+1 both fold.
TURN 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG+1 checks, HERO bets $400, BB calls. UTG+1 folds. 2 players
RIVER Q /images/graemlins/club.gif
HERO quickly checks, BB takes about 45 seconds and bets $350 HERO check raises all in.
BB shows 10 /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

Obviously this is a very bad beat, however I do admit I lose often enough with a made hand to a better hand on 4th or 5th street because I try to milk pots when I flop the str8, or top 2 pair etc. Losing to river boats or runner runner flushes etc. How do you safely play big hands to win more money yet avoiding repeated suck outs? How could I have changed my play to avoid this? and future losses...
Thanks in advance for your advice! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MLG
02-08-2005, 09:00 PM
you have got to be kidding. Its a bad fcuking beat. nobody cares about you bad beats but you. the only way to avoid them is to quit poker.

InchoateHand
02-08-2005, 09:03 PM
I think the easiest way to alter your play and avoid this horrible leak would be to hang yourself from the nearest rafter, or perhaps play in traffic.

SossMan
02-08-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HERO quickly checks, BB takes about 45 seconds and bets $350 HERO check raises all in.
BB shows 10 J

[/ QUOTE ]

wait...BB never called the river checkraise all in!!

you win!!!!!

wow, you got lucky!!

Richard Tanner
02-08-2005, 09:08 PM
What is the problem, he asked a question, if you have nothing useful to say, don't respond and move on. Why is it that you choose to respond at all, since you only succeed in keeping his post up.

Cody

Dj007
02-08-2005, 09:09 PM
JEEZ, I wasnt trying to scream a bad beat I was trying to open a discussion about flopping an incredible hand and how to bet the most value out of it. On a more REASONABLE scale... flopping a str8 or flopping top 2 pair. I only ask this because I lose quite a lot when I make these hands on the flop to river boats and runner-runner flushes. Of course everytime I ask for advice people 1st ask, "Was it on pokerstars?" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Anyways if your just gonna be jerks about it nm.. move on

BAD BEAT POLICE
02-08-2005, 09:18 PM
I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO READ THE POST TO KNOW THAT I WAS NEEDED. PLEASE DON'T TRY TO DISGUISE BAD BEAT STORIES (ESPECIALLY ONES THAT DIDN'T REALLY HAPPEN) IN THE FORM OF..."WHAT COULD I HAVE DONE BETTER"

------------------------------------------------------------

PEOPLE HAVE 1 OF 2 REACTIONS TO YOUR BAD BEAT STORY:

1. THEY DON’T CARE.

2. THEY ARE HAPPY.

PLEASE POST YOUR BAD BEAT STORIES AT www.RIVEREDAGAIN.com (http://www.RIVEREDAGAIN.com) AND QUIT CLUTTERING UP MY FORUM.

-BAD BEAT POLICE

P.S. YOU OWE ME $1.

Nice to see everyone, and thanks for the neighborhood watch alert.

CoconutBaba
02-08-2005, 09:27 PM
First of all, no way you can escape this. Up to the river, I think you play it perfectly. Personally I would place a bet at the river, as I would not expect any hand but KK and the very unlikely royal to give any action.

Second: "safely play big hands to win more money yet avoiding repeated suck outs". To avoid suckouts, you need to overbet - meaning bet more that they will pay to draw. If you find a good way to milk safely then please tell me /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I play a lot at PartyPoker, and I rarely slowplay unless I have a hand that already beats the draws. Hitting a set on a flop with obvious draws I tend to bet pot (more if it's early levels and many players) on the flop and push with a brick on the turn. With the villan being the agressor, I find slowplaying a much more lucreative business though

I find that milking pays much better when up against good players, but that's a ballpark I leave for others to discuss.

woodguy
02-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Officer, where the hell have you been???

The forum has been overrun by bad beat stories.

How can we intice you to patrol more often?

Thanks for coming by.

Regards,
Woodguy

Dj007
02-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks coconut, I think I stick to betting half the pot or 2/3 the pot too much and not overbetting enough. Prolly my fault for trying to get some action.
To mod - wasnt trying to list a bad beat story it was a $10 tourney I dont care, I was trying to show if my betting patterns were bad.
"Players always rememeber their bad beats and not their big wins"
In my case I noticed I am getting a lot of bad beats repeatedly when I flop big hands implying not bad beats but possible misplays by me..
Anyways thx

patrick dicaprio
02-08-2005, 10:03 PM
this is an easy fold preflop so i dont know why you played it. why raise to $80. You will just be called by hands that are favorites to you like 55 and other hands that are very good drawing hands like KTs that for some reason often draw out. the best strategy is to fold here preflop to avoid losing all your chips with junk.

Pat

Lloyd
02-08-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this is an easy fold preflop so i dont know why you played it. why raise to $80. You will just be called by hands that are favorites to you like 55 and other hands that are very good drawing hands like KTs that for some reason often draw out. the best strategy is to fold here preflop to avoid losing all your chips with junk.

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's being a bit tight. I would at least limp in and see the flop cheaply. I'd certainly bet the flop but with 2 coordinated clubs I'm going to play carefully. When the third club hits and he's still playing, I'm done with the hand. Check and fold.

crookedhat99
02-08-2005, 10:09 PM
Easy fold preflop??????? You're saying you would want to fold AKs because you don't want to run into KTs????? Folding AKs preflop to an unraised pot would be blaspheme, even limping would be blaspheme. AKs=raising hand...period

-LC

SossMan
02-08-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pat

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. AKs is the 14th best hand preflop!! Why would you even play it? There are 13 better preflop hands that you can wait for, like 33 and 66.
Playing it is crazy. RAISING WITH IT IS PSYCHO!!

I would much rather have KTs, since it can make a st8, a flush and even two pair or trips!

-SossMan

patrick dicaprio
02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
at least someone agrees! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pat

patrick dicaprio
02-10-2005, 08:28 PM
easy easy fold. a corollary to the theory of reverse implied odds is the theory of reverse domination. eveytime you have a hand like AK against a good draw like KTs you are giving reverse impleid odds. therefore your dominating hand is actually reverse dominated. accordingly in order to avoid losing your whole stack when the flop comes with a K and two of your opponents suited cards you fold.

Pat

ThrillFactor
02-10-2005, 08:33 PM