PDA

View Full Version : bet or all-in?

paulish
02-08-2005, 07:35 PM
I posted this on the book-forum, but got no response.

Harrington on Hold 'em, Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments; Volume I by Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie. Two Plus Two Publishing (2004).

Hand 2-1, page 64-66

SnG-8players
Level : 50/100

Player C, MP2: $840
CO (Hero): $1.930
Player F, Button: $990

Pre-flop
SB post $50, BB post $100, 2 players fold, MP2 limps, MP3 folds, Hero limps with [8/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif] (Harington recomends folding here), Button makes it $200, MP2 and Hero calls.

Flop
Pot=$750, 3players
[9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif]
Player C checks, what's your play?
[ QUOTE ]
"That's a very good flop for you. Two clubs, and only one overcard to your 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif. You should make a move to win this hand right here, but cheaply if you can. Players C and F have $640 and $790 respectivly. A bet of $100 is too little (too easily called) but $200 to $300 looks right to shake any weak holders. This way his pot odds won't be too good in case he call."

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let's say you bet $200, Player F goes all-in and Player C folds. The pot is now (750+200+790=) $1.740, and it's $590 to call. That's 3-1.
If Player F folds and Player C goes all-in, or if both push, you'll have better odds. If you bet $300, and someone pushes, you'll have even better odds.

<font color="red"> My question is wether or not you can fold, if your opponents push (after you bet $200 or $300)? If not, why not do the pushing yourself in the first place?</font>

<font color="blue"> paulish </font>

JoeTable
02-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Personally, I like the smaller bet to build the pot and/or win the pot right there. But of course I would also call if either stack pushed.

skipperbob
02-08-2005, 08:32 PM
too early to push pre-flop...too crappy to call post flop; tell me again why you were in there to begin with?

JoeTable
02-08-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
too early to push pre-flop...too crappy to call post flop; tell me again why you were in there to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

He wasn't. This was a hand sample from Harringtons book...as he states right off the bat in the post.

microbet
02-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Not saying it is what I'd do for sure, but what Harrington might be thinking:

Those two players will pretty much assume their stack is at risk if they call 200 or 300, so there isn't much difference in the fold equity between that and pushing. After you bet that much your opponant(s) may just call and then be willing to check down which could save you some money. They could have a mediocre hand that they don't want to let go of, but that they are afraid to push.