PDA

View Full Version : 25/50NL hand

WorldBeater
02-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Six Handed. There's one limper in LP, and I complete in SB. The BB checks. I am holding AhJh. The BB is shortstacked, and the limper has around 5k in chips - I had him covered.
The flop comes as Jd 4d 7h. I lead out for the pot (150). The SB folds, and the LP player makes it 400 total. I really don't have much respect for this guy, but I am picturing him with a hand like Jack seven offsuit, or King Jack. I decide to call. The turn is 2d. I check, and the LP player makes a small bet, about 300. I call. The river is 5h. I check, and the LP player bets 600. I fold.

Any suggestions on this hand? Villain seemed to be semi-fishy from the short time I had played with him.

tbach24
02-08-2005, 05:17 PM
You picture him with a worse hand and you don't raise...WHY?

WorldBeater
02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he might have 2 pair, or a weaker jack at the time. I didn't think he was capable of folding a better hand or a worse hand, and I didn't want to play a big pot.
My hand seemed to be too good to fold (Esp. with backdoor flush potential), but not good enough to raise. The small raise amount enticed me to call.

partygirluk
02-08-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To let him keep bluffing?
River fold seems strange.

tbach24
02-08-2005, 05:24 PM
He said he probably had TP...why would he let him catch a cheaper 2-pair?

WorldBeater
02-08-2005, 05:27 PM
"To let him keep bluffing?
River fold seems strange.

[/ QUOTE ]"

I didn't think he would be likely to be bluffing. It just seemed like he overvalued top pair. At the end I felt I was beat and folded. I don't like the way I played it at all, and I should have called the river after calling the flop and turn bets.

I was considering alternative ways to play the hand from the flop forward.
Suggestions?

creedofhubris
02-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Lead the turn with a half-pot bet, and fold to any raise?

thatpfunk
02-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Why call the turn and then fold the river when a blank falls? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

PokerForMath
02-08-2005, 10:00 PM
I think this was a perfect situation to steal the pot on the turn with a check raise. If he was weak as you say then he might have bet small because he was afraid you had the flush. His weak betting the whole way suggests he was afraid to lose a lot of money.

The pot had $150 pre-flop, you led out on the flop $150 making it a $300 pot. He raised to $400 making the pot $700 pot. You called $250 to win a $700 pot, over 2.5:1 odds, not quite the right odds to call a draw with, but many players do it. In short, your play to that point was consistent with drawing to the flush. When the 2d came and you checked, he could easily have worried you had hit the flush. He, being a weak player, tries to feel you out by betting, but underbets the pot. It's quite possible that if you had re-raised to $1000 there you would have taken the pot.