PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot Jay's Losing Streak Article (Kinda fun to read)

Jurollo
02-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Nice losing streak, or rather, long overdue correction.
Jackpot Jay's new Article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lovinger/050208)

Dariel86
02-08-2005, 04:45 PM
That was a nice read =)

- Dariel

sthief09
02-08-2005, 05:17 PM
blows my mind how someone doing it for a living would sit down at a 20/40 LHE game with no LHE experience. what a douche

SomethingClever
02-08-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The site I play on -- Captain Cooks Poker

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of that one...

I love how he jumps into the 20/40 games both live and online without any limit experience....

I wonder if he uses Pokertracker? Or GT+/Playerview? Oh, wait, he's playing on Captain Cook's Old-Tyme Poker Site... not a Party skin.

I wonder if he knows about rakeback? Bonuses?

You know, if he spent a week reading this site he could probably become a profitable player online.

phillydilly
02-08-2005, 05:31 PM
If he was on party, it would be pretty amusing to see how many of us had him on our buddy list after his first week or two

7ontheline
02-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Anyone here played that 20/40 game at Foxwoods? Is it as tough as he claims?

Of course, then he goes off and plays 10/20 and 20/40 online with minimal limit experience - online is even tougher, isn't it? I was really excited originally when I read that there would be a series of articles on trying to make it as a poker player - I loved Pos. 5th Str. Jackpot Jay blows huge donkey balls though.

Bellagibro
02-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Funny stuff

nolanfan34
02-08-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
blows my mind how someone doing it for a living would sit down at a 20/40 LHE game with no LHE experience. what a douche

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I was shocked at that as well. How can you possibly pass yourself off as even semi-legitimate if you admit you sit at a 20-40 hold em table with 10 hrs of limit experience?

He's no Dynasty, that's for sure.

Uglyowl
02-08-2005, 06:26 PM
"Once, I had two-thirds of the chips at the table -- more than $9,000 of the $15,000 total -- with seven players left. "

And he lost, didn't make the top two.

Guess he doesn't understand tournament play either... what a knob.

lorinda
02-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I've seen one or two links to this moron before, I always assumed it was a joke or something.

Is he actually serious?

Lori

Jurollo
02-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Lori,
It is very much serious, ESPN stakes him a bankroll and he plays... think they could have invested in some 2+2 books as well /images/graemlins/blush.gif At least reading about him losing is mildy entertaining.
~Justin

lorinda
02-08-2005, 06:46 PM
It's more entertaining now I know it's real /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Lori

RollaJ
02-08-2005, 06:46 PM
He dont play so GooT

Yobz
02-08-2005, 07:20 PM
I want ESPN to stake more players and have them play in online games, that would make me happy /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sponger15SB
02-08-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice losing streak, or rather, long overdue correction.
Jackpot Jay's new Article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lovinger/050208)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. -$13,000 in 6 months.

This is just sad.....he has a gambling problem. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Jurollo
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Sponger,
Is that the great early 90's wrestler Kwang in your avatar? Talk about a flashback to my childhood if it is! I just remember him spitting a green mist into the faces of his opponents... but anyway I digress... back to jackpot jay
~Justin

johnnycakes
02-08-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN stakes him a bankroll and he plays..

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, he's specifically said in previous articles that ESPN does not stake him. He gets paid to write, like any other ESPN writer. The bankroll (or lack thereof) is his own.

Jurollo
02-08-2005, 07:51 PM
I believe he wrote before that he got paid but part of it was for poker and he kept wins or losses, almost 100% sure, although this could have been imagined in a drunken haze.
~Justin

Russ McGinley
02-08-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sponger,
Is that the great early 90's wrestler Kwang in your avatar? Talk about a flashback to my childhood if it is! I just remember him spitting a green mist into the faces of his opponents... but anyway I digress... back to jackpot jay
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you nuts? That's the Macho Man! More specifically, that could be the Macho King. OOOOOOOOOH YEAH DIG IT

Sponger15SB
02-08-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sponger,
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you nuts? That's the Macho Man! More specifically, that could be the Macho King. OOOOOOOOOH YEAH DIG IT

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out my "Macho Man Randy Savage Rap" thread in OOT

Jurollo
02-08-2005, 07:59 PM
HAHAHAHA, i need to turn the contrast on my laptop up as well as the brightness!!!! And stop slouching, the lcd became so dark it looked like Kwang haha... wow, I just lost all credibility I had left on these boards.

Russ McGinley
02-08-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sponger,
~Justin

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out my "Macho Man Randy Savage Rap" thread in OOT

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw it. Good stuff. Macho was always my favorite.

MicroBob
02-08-2005, 08:11 PM
"It's more entertaining now I know it's real "

I completely agree.
This stuff is REALLY entertaining.

My comments from the thread about this guy in the WPT forum:

I haven't been reading this guy very much because he's such an idiot. But...this guy ROCKS!!

Quote:
since the Friday $20-40 game is perhaps the toughest regularly spread at Foxwoods

I refuse to believe that the Foxwoods Friday 20/40 game is very tough at all.

Quote:
despite the fact that I am a fairly conservative player who almost always plays solid starting hands, draws only when the pot odds are right, and does not blindly call down opponents with mediocre hands (like a middle pair)

LOLOL!!! Stop it Jay!! ROTFLMAO!!! Please...Please!!! It hurts!!! LOL!!!! Stop...Stop!!! Har-Har-har

Quote:
Since August, I've been in a five-months-long poker freefall, by far the worst run of gambling luck I've experienced in a checkered lifetime of trying to get something for nothing.

Your absolutely right Jay. It's a really terribly run of
gambling LUCK. Losing for 5 months straight has EVERYTHING to do with luck and NOTHING to do with the possibility of being a really bad player.

I'm so glad that so many people think like Jay does.

Thanks Jay.
This was a very amusing article.

tribefan9
02-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I (sadly) have read most of his columns since it is the only poker reading I can do at work due to the firewall being pretty brutal on gambling. It has been interesting from the standpoint of getting into the head of a fish who can write coherently. I believe the explanation of his bankroll at the start was that he was using the advance he was getting to write his book about being a poker pro. This makes his losing much worse, as he mentions in this column, since I don't think his book will do well. Anyone want to buy a book called "How To Lose Your Ass At Every Variation of Poker You Attempt"?

jedi
02-08-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN stakes him a bankroll and he plays..

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, he's specifically said in previous articles that ESPN does not stake him. He gets paid to write, like any other ESPN writer. The bankroll (or lack thereof) is his own.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bankroll is actually the book advance from his publisher. So, while it is his own bankroll, he hasn't dipped into his savings yet.

Hulk Hogan
02-08-2005, 09:18 PM
I like his articles and I don't think anyone on here can tell enough about his playing from them to definitively call him a fish. I think you're mainly looking for someone to jump on and insult more than anything else. He's only posted a handful of hands and it is entirely possible that he has had a bad run of luck for 6 months--look at what happened to Doyle (and no, I am not claiming he's in that league). The guy *is* up 14k this year overall, and we don't know much about how he really plays.

Jumping into the 20-40 at FW was a boner though.

bobbyi
02-08-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I refuse to believe that the Foxwoods Friday 20/40 game is very tough at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the same thing I thought. Then I realized that it is pretty ridiculuous for me to expect a guy with 10 hours of limit HE experience to be able to know what tough game looks like.

Army Eye
02-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Everyone has touched on the jumping into the $20-40 game with no experience, etc., but this comment of his I have to take issue with:

[ QUOTE ]

I found myself thinking about a scene from "The Professional," one of the all-time great bad movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take out the word 'bad' and the sentence makes sense. There is nothing bad at all about this great movie.

Reef
02-08-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone has touched on the jumping into the $20-40 game with no experience, etc., but this comment of his I have to take issue with:

[ QUOTE ]

I found myself thinking about a scene from "The Professional," one of the all-time great bad movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take out the word 'bad' and the sentence makes sense. There is nothing bad at all about this great movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jacksh!t jay can burn in hell if he in anyway meant to imply that The Professional was a bad movie

Moozh
02-08-2005, 11:41 PM
The Professional kicks ass, but then I don't think he was implying the opposite. Perhaps 'B Movie' would be a better way to phrase it.

gasoltub
02-09-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Professional kicks ass, but then I don't think he was implying the opposite. Perhaps 'B Movie' would be a better way to phrase it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the first part. It kicks ass.
But it's definitley not a 'B movie'!

MicroBob
02-09-2005, 07:22 AM
How on earth does this qualify as a "B" movie?

a 'B' movie would be something like "Killer Double-D Girls from Mars"....
or some of those 'direct to video' movies (I think I saw an ad for one with Katie Holmes in it) or most made-for-TV movies.
Almost any movie that you might see on Hallmark or Lifetime-Movie Channel will be a 'B' movie...especially if it has Meredith Baxter Birney.

The Professional didn't do that well in the U.S. at the box office...but certainly was a decent flick.
And I believe it did very well in Europe under the title 'Leon'.