PDA

View Full Version : Too tight?

AlmightyJay
02-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Level 1 of a PokerStars $5 SNG. Table has been tight and somewhere between passive and aggressive. I've only played the first hand, KK, no showdown. This is hand 6 or so. I'm given QKs UTG. I fold.

Too tight? I'm having a lot of difficulty knowing what to do with hands like this in the early stages of an SNG. I figured limping was my worst option, but I hated my position, so I folded. Flame away if I'm an idiot, it'll get it through my skull /images/graemlins/smile.gif

11t
02-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Well you can't call a raise and raising puts you out of position.

I'd fold.

spentrent
02-08-2005, 04:58 PM
It's Stars so your stack is enormous relative to the blinds now, yeah? You can do whatever you want here.

I like to play loose-tight-maniacal over the course of a Stars normal (non-turbo) game. One has an adequate stack for image manipulation.

shoeman
02-08-2005, 05:05 PM
I usually play party SNGs and I'd fold here as well.

However, With larger stacks, I can see limping with this in early position for flush and straight value. If there are no raises, you are probably safe from AQ and AK as well. Fold if there is too much PF action.

lorinda
02-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Too tight? I'm having a lot of difficulty knowing what to do with hands like this in the early stages of an SNG

Rule of thumb.

If in doubt early, fold.

If in doubt late, push all-in.

Lori

ericlambi
02-08-2005, 05:34 PM
In early levels of PP SNGs (and I don't imagine I would play differently for Poker Stars), I would fold early position, limp middle position, and raise late position (assuming I was opening in all 3 cases).

spentrent
02-08-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

In early levels of PP SNGs (and I don't imagine I would play differently for Poker Stars), I would fold early position, limp middle position, and raise late position (assuming I was opening in all 3 cases).

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't loosen up the tiniest bit sitting on 75BBs?

lorinda
02-08-2005, 06:04 PM

That's loose enough, he should tighten up on Party.

Lori

spentrent
02-08-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That's loose enough, he should tighten up on Party.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Eek, you're right. I somehow attached OP's sentiment to ericlambi's "I'd play it the same on PP" statement.

Now, if I'm playing a table full of 2+2 nerds, I'd play it like eric /images/graemlins/wink.gif. I've said too much.

ericlambi
02-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Too loose? Come on Lorinda, live on the wild side . . . put those 15 chips into the pot with KQs, you know you want to.

Seriously, I don't want to start another long and boring thread about pre-flop starting standards, but I question those who claim that, e.g. liming with KQs on level 1 or raising with it from the CO in level 2, is incorrect in the absolute sense. There are few absolutes in poker, so I think there is some room for personal preferences in these matters without having to declare one person right or wrong.