PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Blind Stealing Position?

morgan180
02-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I've been playing in a good amount of MTTs and have really agressively been going after the blinds once they get up to the 50/100 and up level. I feel that I get more resistance to steal attempts when they come from a late position, i.e. they're too blatant. I've had the most success in MP. Anyone else?

BlackAces
02-08-2005, 01:03 PM
I don't like MP steals as much, because there's a better chance of someone coming in behind you and having position on you from the flop onward.

I find the cutoff is my favourite steal position.

MLG
02-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Whatever position I happen to be in when the tightest player is on the BB.

Tyler Durden
02-08-2005, 01:09 PM
I like stealing in EP b/c ppl give you credit for a hand.

Awesome avatar, btw.

nolanfan34
02-08-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever position I happen to be in when the tightest player is on the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this thought.

I'd also add that I like any position where the blinds fall on medium sized stacks. I have the hardest time stealing when there are either extremely big or small stacks behind me, because I always worry that I need more of a hand to "steal" with if I get played back at.

SossMan
02-08-2005, 01:16 PM
I chose the button. Oldie but goodie.

SossMan
02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the only benefit. There is a much, much higher chance that someone will wake up with a hand when you steal from EP than when you steal from LP. You will likely not have position if called.
The only reason I "steal" from EP is to make it so that they don't know that I have AA-QQ/AK every time I make my normal UTG raise.

jackdaniels
02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I keep reading about this being the best practice but have yet to find a way to identify (reliably) who the tightest player is... I usually keep track of anyone who does defend their blinds and avoid stealing from them (unless I have a hand - well, then it isn't stealing, is it?) - but since very few players defend their blinds (without a hand) - how can you tell which player is the one who won't defend without say: an Ace/PP/2 broadways or suited connectors/1 gappers (my criteria for defence, unless I am pretty sure this is an outright steal).

Any guidelines for finding that elusive "tighty" are appreciated.

Tyler Durden
02-08-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the only benefit. There is a much, much higher chance that someone will wake up with a hand when you steal from EP than when you steal from LP. You will likely not have position if called.
The only reason I "steal" from EP is to make it so that they don't know that I have AA-QQ/AK every time I make my normal UTG raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is a much higher chance of someone waking up w/ a hand but when play tightens up many will fold all but their premium hands to an EP raise.

I rarely "steal" from the button anymore. Looks too obvious to observant players.

morgan180
02-08-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I rarely "steal" from the button anymore. Looks too obvious to observant players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree - I find I get a lot more resistance with a button/CO raise than with an MP raise. I agree with MLG and Nolanfan - if there is a tight person or a passive medium stack (especially near bubble time) in the blinds then I'm in with a raise.

I've been playing in some of the lower buyin tournies $10/20 and most of the players are really weak-tight. I'll be in with a raise with any two and on a ragged flop I am pretty confident I can outplay them. If I run in to any major resistance I can get away from it because I know I was only in there for the blinds to begin with.

morgan180
02-08-2005, 01:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome avatar, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks - one of my favorite movies, hilarious. i'm a big fan of family guy too.

SossMan
02-08-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like stealing from the button against good players. It's like the new calling....which was the new raising...which was the new black.

Sometimes I'll open-limp from the button, and the blinds just fold out of fear.

Tyler Durden
02-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Made is an awesome flick but it's a poor man's Swingers.

"What's the action that's going to come my way?"

morgan180
02-08-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Made is an awesome flick but it's a poor man's Swingers.

[/ QUOTE ]

See I think that Made is funnier because Vince Vaughn just goes way over the top, although Swingers is THE movie. I highly recommend the Swingers DVD with Vince and Jon's commentary - the commentary is so solid both on Swingers and Made, some of it is funnier than the movies.

"...Right, it's my per diem, and who do I give it to?"

sorry for hijacking...