PDA

View Full Version : Classified Advertising

07-31-2002, 02:44 AM
In light of the recent selling of tournament seats, and complaints we have received, Mason and I have been kicking around the idea of a classified section. It would be just like the classified section in any newspaper, and we would charge a small fee. Something like ten dollars. And it would not be limited to tournament seats. You could sell furniture if you like. We'd like your thoughts on the idea before we proceed.

Mat

07-31-2002, 03:20 AM
I think a for sale section is a good. People can sell their seats like you said, their poker books, parts of themselves in tourneys etc but I don't know how many people will want to fork over any money.

Poker players by nature are cheap. If you don't charge however there could be some abuse or misuse.

Just my thoughts.

Brian R

07-31-2002, 11:23 AM
Mat,

If you need a collection officer (and you will) I know a fella named Guido who specializes in that sort of thing.

Jimbo

07-31-2002, 01:50 PM
I think by charging $10, you will get almost no one to use your service. Players will just post at RGP, for free, since it reaches the same market as 2+2.

When I sell, or buy, a seat I would rather deal with people I know here, but would rather not go thru the hassle, and time, of doing an ad.

Just my thoughts.

MS Sunshine

07-31-2002, 02:35 PM
i think that both you and mason are jackasses

07-31-2002, 02:51 PM
i like the idea, assuming you will delete the posts of the people who try to subvert the correct forum.

while i must admit that i laugh VERY hard at all of bobcards posts, this one included, i'm not sure if i would have put it that way... but $10 is too much.

Maybe $5?? or a fee based on the cost of the item to be listed? what if the item is only being sold for $10??

you can buy a domain name for $8.95

07-31-2002, 03:08 PM
I think the site should provide this service! Setting up a page for this should be very simple. IMHO

07-31-2002, 04:21 PM
start with no fee and charge a fee if too much abuse.

IF YOU ARE REALLY HURTING FOR MONEY just let us know now and we will all send you some NOW.

07-31-2002, 07:48 PM
I think a classified forum would be a good idea.

I don't think charging for it is a good idea.

As many have posted already, $10 is pretty steep for an ad on here. You are running a message board, not a classified service.

The marginal cost for you to add another forum that is dedicated to classified ads, is very small. To make a forum that required payment for posting it would cost additional programming resources and time to set up. While I'm sure if the service was used you would quickly recoup your costs at $10 an ad, if the service fails then you have sunk money into a system that no one uses.

Your other option would be to not create a new forum and to go through multiple times a day and delete classified messages. Regulars would probably stop and use other resources like rpg, but new users will continue to post. This monitoring and deleting of classified posts takes time and energy of the staff, which amounts to money.

Based on the reaction of a pay service (at least one that costs $10 an ad), I would say your most cost effective option is setting up a new forum for classifieds that is free for use.