PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Take-Out. Anyone Got Some Easy Recipes?

toss
02-08-2005, 12:25 PM
All this take out I'm eating can't be healthy. Does anyone have any quick and dirty recipes for a hearty meal?

tbach24
02-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Egg noodles and tuna. A little bit of lemon and butter and it's wicked good. NO MAYO!!!

Tyler Durden
02-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Pasta Roni.

LALDAAS
02-08-2005, 12:34 PM
My favorite is to fry up some chicken cubes ( do not over cook), while boiling some rigatoni. Then heat some chunky tomatoe sause. Once the chicken is fried( very slightly under cooked) add it to the tomatoe sause. Let the chicken cook a little more in sause for another 20-30. Then strian the rigatoni and WHAM! Easy hearty meal! for less then 10 beans.

I am a die hard bachelor who hates to cook but this always works well.

xadrez
02-08-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Egg noodles and tuna. A little bit of lemon and butter and it's wicked good. NO MAYO!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Im actually the President of "Men Against Mayo" (MAM). We are a non-profit who works to eradictate the festering evil that is mayo which debilitates and corrupts innocent sandwiches around the world.

tbach24
02-08-2005, 12:37 PM
Mustard and ketchup are easily the best condiments.

jakethebake
02-08-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mustard and ketchup are easily the best condiments.

[/ QUOTE ]
Salsa is the most popular, of course.

jakethebake
02-08-2005, 12:39 PM
PB&J

tbach24
02-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Salsa is good on any mexican. ANYTHING.

partygirluk
02-08-2005, 12:41 PM
Mushroom soup is healthy.

Take a handful or so of butter and heat it up. Fry about 1/4 of an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic in it for 4/5 minutes.

Then add 250ml of milk, and 250ml of stock (vege of mushroom). Add 1 tablespoon of flour. Mix well. Add 100 grams of chopped mushrooms (Shitaake is really nice, but the better the mushroom, the better the soup). Add a tablespoon of parsley. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes. I like to add a spoonful of marmite too.
Bring off the boil, add a tablespoon of lemon juice for a good kick, serve and enjoy!

tbach24
02-08-2005, 12:42 PM
This reminds me, tomato soup and grilled cheese. So good and easy to make.

Inthacup
02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
What are your thoughts on Miracle Whip?

slickpoppa
02-08-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im actually the President of "Men Against Mayo" (MAM). We are a non-profit who works to eradictate the festering evil that is mayo which debilitates and corrupts innocent sandwiches around the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't imagine a sandwich without mayo. I would dip ritz crackers in mayo if it were socially acceptable

tbach24
02-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Gross.

Snowslide
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
You can buy 2 minute microwavable rice now, in all kinds of flavours/styles. Stock up on some of those and cans of tuna. One package of rice, nuked, with one can or tuna "scraped" out of the can on top. Add pepper. Makes two servings.
Maybe pickle on the side.

toss
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Wow! Thanks for the responses guys! I didn't think I would get so many so fast.

I have to say that the rigatoni and chicken sounds really good and easy to prepare. And all for under $10 too!

The mushroom soup also sounds good too. I know a place right around the corner where I can get some really fresh mushrooms.

I get the feeling I'll have a whole notebook of 2+2 meals by the end of this thread. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

xadrez
02-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Rice and Beans

Cook rice like usual...

For the beans youll need

-Garlic cloves, diced finely
-1/2 Onion, diced finely
-Some Bacon, preferably the thick unsliced kind, Diced into small cubes (obviously, you wont use the whole slab, you want about a handfull of smallish diced bacon bits)
-Cilantro, about a handfull, chopped up finely
-1 packet of Goya Seasoning "con azafran"
-1 can of black or kidney beans
-Some Jalapenos or other hot peppers, diced finely
-Olive Oil

Directions: Heat up _a little_ olive oil in the pot, throw in the bacon and brown it. Once the bacon is browned throw in the onion, garlic, and jalapenos and cook and sautee for a bit. Once the onion/garlic/jalapenos begins to brown, open the can of beans and add it into the pot WITH the water. Stir in the packet of Goya seasoning, and the cilantro.

Turn the heat to simmer and let it cook for a while, stirring occasionally, the longer the better, just be careful not to burn the beans...

tbach24
02-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Eggs. Any type. Except deviled.

xadrez
02-08-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are your thoughts on Miracle Whip?

[/ QUOTE ]

Miracle Whip gets a pass as it has the advantage of being able to be applied on my GF

housenuts
02-08-2005, 12:57 PM
here is the ultimate answer to all your woes

my favourite is the irish 7-course dinner
Bachelor Chow (http://members.shaw.ca/chowder/Bachelor Chow.pdf)

toss
02-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Nice!!!

I see a lot of good stuff in here. Some of the recipes seem too exotic to me though. (Doritos Soup anyone?) And half the recipes have beans in them. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

mmbt0ne
02-08-2005, 01:24 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
You can buy 2 minute microwavable rice now, in all kinds of flavours/styles. Stock up on some of those and cans of tuna. One package of rice, nuked, with one can or tuna "scraped" out of the can on top. Add pepper. Makes two servings.
Maybe pickle on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those microwavable rice packets are awesome! I keep a bunch of those, and some seasoned chicken around, it's a quick, easy, and really good meal.

ethan
02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Buy this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0028610105/qid=1107883302/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7989312-1327326?v=glance&amp;s=books&amp;n=507846). It's exactly what you'd want in a first cookbook - lots of simple recipes, and good explanations for those that're a little more complicated.

NoChance
02-08-2005, 01:37 PM
1 box of rice with beef (riceroni or whatever that is)
1 pound beef

Mix the rice and beef before you cook it an make meatballs out of it about 1/2 inch to an inch in size. Then boil it for 45 minutes in about 5 cups of water. Add the beef flavoring packet with about 10 minutes to go and you end up with a bunch of rice/meatballs in gavy (may need to add a little four to thicken).

Scoop that over instant potatos.

mmmm, mmmm, good and easy to microwave leftovers.

Tyler Durden
02-08-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite is to fry up some chicken cubes ( do not over cook), while boiling some rigatoni. Then heat some chunky tomatoe sause. Once the chicken is fried( very slightly under cooked) add it to the tomatoe sause. Let the chicken cook a little more in sause for another 20-30. Then strian the rigatoni and WHAM! Easy hearty meal! for less then 10 beans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why can't you spell sauce correctly? Just once? I'm so aggravated.

Ponks
02-08-2005, 02:00 PM
I just went out to the grocery store myself. I think the Hamburger helper meals are pretty good and easy to make. The chicken fried rice is probably my favorite one. I also make spaghetti a lot, that's pretty easy and healthy.

Ponks

LALDAAS
02-08-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BAH!HA! I didnt even notice that. WoW I am a tool. Sorry I was multi-tasking at work.

I guess thats a poor excuse for being stupid though

Yeti
02-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Pasta, baked beans, and grate some cheese on top, which melts.

Delicious.

elwoodblues
02-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Chicken Spanish Rice:
Make some packaged spanish rice (zatarains is a good brand, rice-a-roni is alright). In another pan cube and cook some boneless chicken breasts. When rice is done mix chicken and rice, throw in some grated cheese, top with crushed Doritoes and bake for about 20 minutes or so. Easy and good.
----------------------------------
Hamburger Casserole:
1 lb ground beef
1 onion - diced
1 rib celery - diced
1 Can cream of chicken soup
1 can chicken noodle soup
1 C rice
1 soup-can of water

Brown ground beef with onion and celery. Add all other ingredients -- cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

tyfromm
02-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Just buy a bunch of these and snack all day:

http://www.indianchild.com/images/cakes1.jpg

moondogg
02-08-2005, 05:08 PM
1 box Velvetta shells and cheese, Prepare as directed.

As you are squeezing the room temperture "cheese" packet onto the shells, throw in a can of tuna (solid white only, preferably not albacore, screw the dolphins) and mix that in as well.

Tyler Durden
02-08-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BAH!HA! I didnt even notice that. WoW I am a tool. Sorry I was multi-tasking at work.

I guess thats a poor excuse for being stupid though

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Being busy at work is a very poor excuse for being a tool. But you're forgiven.

offTopic
02-08-2005, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All this take out I'm eating can't be healthy. Does anyone have any quick and dirty recipes for a hearty meal?

[/ QUOTE ]

How much cooking skill do you possess?

swede123
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
My mom taught me this simple but fairly hearty recipe long ago, and I'm still a big fan.

Sausage and Green Bean Salad.

Take three or four cans of green beans, drain the water and dump the beans into a big bowl.
Take a summer sausage, dice it and dump it in the bowl.
Chop two bell peppers and add to the bowl.
Chop one leek (or some other kind of onion) and add to the mix.
Hard boil four or so eggs, chop and add to the mix.
Liberally drain the entire salad with some sort of Italian dressing.

That's it! Easy and pretty yummy.

Cheers,

Swede

junkmail3
02-08-2005, 06:30 PM
My wife has this book, and we got it for a friend who doesn't have time to cook but wants good food.

It is awesome, with lots of pictures, so you know if you're [censored] it up. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060566310/qid=1107901755/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-4994233-0828147)

moondogg
02-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Also, if you are secure enough in your manhood (I'm sure as hell not), get yourself one or two of those 30-minute meal cookbooks from Rachel Ray. Chicks swear by them.

BUD
02-08-2005, 06:43 PM
frozen shelled shrimp thai sauce ( whatever you like) and chineese noodles. or fry onions add ground beef , when cooked add salsa and spice as youlike add refried beans equal to the beef stir together. roll up in flour tortillas add lots of cheese on top ( inside tortilla). then i like to freeze them and defrost in micro then add more cheese and broil in oven til cheese melts and tortilla starts to brown crisp. add salsa, best burrito.

Shajen
02-08-2005, 06:48 PM
sloppy joes

or, get some of that Zatarains rice mix and some link sausage.

Follow the directions for the rice and cut up the sausage in it.

Make tacos.

Search the web, there's literally millions of easy cooking how tos.

GL.

morello
02-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Go to the grocery store's seafood section and pick up a rainbow trout fillet. Should be ~$5. Then pick up some celery, broccoli, cauliflower, whatever.

Stick fish in oven, boil vegetables. 20 minutes later, you've got a solid meal.

Feel free to pick up a small ready-made coleslaw or to spice the fish w/ lemon pepper.

Minimal work, maximum taste!

shummie
02-08-2005, 07:13 PM
um. make a sandwhich?

- Jason

Reef
02-08-2005, 07:21 PM
1. pour cereal in bowl
2. add milk
3. eat

Fratony
02-08-2005, 07:44 PM
1. Take a flour tortilla
2. put it in a frying pan (greased up if you want a better tasting, less healthy meal)
3. put cheese and some optional chicken or steak in there
4. Fold it over and "make yourself a goddamn ques-a-dilla Napoleon"

ClaytonN
02-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Ramen Noodle and goldfish surprise. That's a staple for me.

guller
02-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Screw everything else.
Try this.

1. microwave baked potato
2. Steak on grill. Sear on high for 2 min. Cook over med heat for 5-8 min per side. I recommend the porterhouse cut seasoned with montreal steak seasoning.

Instant hearty meal.

jagoff
02-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Macaroni and butter with Parmesan Cheese!

eric5148
02-09-2005, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mushroom soup is healthy.

Take a handful or so of butter and heat it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO

eric5148
02-09-2005, 01:45 AM
There's a bajillion recipes here. (http://www.epicurious.com/)

sin808
02-09-2005, 06:16 AM
It takes about 10 minutes to broil a steak with some Stubbs pork marinade. Takes 5 minutes to sautee prawns in white wine with garlic. Cut up some potato's toss 'em in a pan, lil bit of olive oil- season to taste- Throw it in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 500 degrees.

allrecipes.com is handy too.