PDA

View Full Version : tough spot short handed 5-10

gomberg
02-08-2005, 10:34 AM
4 handed. We all have around $1500. 5-10 blinds.

I'm in BB w/ 56o. EP limps, button limps. SB folds. I knuckle the virual table 3-way.

flop is 789 rainbow. I check. EP checks. Button bets $25. I call, EP limit-CR to $50, button calls, I call.

turn is a 3 completing the rainbow. I lead out $200, EP calls, button pushes in for about $1200 more...

Reads on players - Button doesn't need the nuts to make this bet, but needs a very good hand. I've seen EP limit CR on the flop and turn with very strong hands (sets).

What are your thoughts on my flop and turn lines? Comments appreciated...

Jeff

phil_ivey_fan
02-08-2005, 01:03 PM
what are you putting Button on. JT is a possiblity int his unraised pot. Would he play the nuts like this? I'd say he's got a set and is ready to take it down now.

gomberg
02-08-2005, 01:25 PM
The button isn't the only consideration here - I put button on a high set or a straight. He thinks he has the best hand. You also have to consider what EP's range of hands are as well.

gomberg
02-09-2005, 11:55 AM
bump...

riverboatking
02-09-2005, 12:39 PM
you need to play this hand, and make all your decisions on the flop.

you have two oppertunites to jack it up and you pass on both of them, and while this may fly in a heads up pot, in a multi-way pot it is not a good idea.

whether you think anyone is sitting on the nuts really comes down to you making a read on your opponent, and there is really no way for us to make that read.

you just have to make a read, trust yourself, and play the hand accordingly.

BUT DO ALL THAT ON THE FLOP.

gomberg
02-09-2005, 01:30 PM
My reasoning for my flop play was that I was out of position in an unraised pot with a very vulnerable hand. I didn't want to build a big pot out of position when any 5,6,7,8,9,T,or J can easily beat me and give me a tough time calling bets. All these cards have to fit into other player's hands as they would have raised with higher cards. When the blank comes on the turn, I figure that a pot sized bet into the field should define my hand a little better while reducing my variance.

Actually, heads-up I play this a lot stronger because of all the scare cards and the other player is more likely to make a mistake - but with two people showing interest, I'm not sure.

My thinking may be flawed...

The_Bends
02-09-2005, 01:31 PM
I agree with RBK.

You don't want to be dragging people along with only the ingnorant end of the straight. There are a huge amount of turn cards that can scare you Jsx4,10sx4,9sx3,8sx3,7sx3,6sx3= 20/48 cards. Therefore you wan to end this on the flop for better or for worse. If you can put someone on J10 after more action then you can fold but otherwise do your best to get the money in on the flop as you're favourate to every other hand.

The_Bends
02-09-2005, 01:33 PM
Wel your post did render mine stlightly pointless. Still if you're worried about one of the other guys having a straight then I still think your need to find that out earlier rather than later.

freemoney
02-09-2005, 02:00 PM
i totally disagree with this make a decision on the flop kind of play, j10 isnt going anywhere, by seeing the turn for cheap, you can get away from the pot if a scare card hits, and push if you think you have the best, i dont think these decisions need to be made on the flop. This is especially true if a set isnt going anywhere as you can fold if he makes his full house only investing 50 dollars or get all in with only one card left and him having at best 10 outs.

gomberg
02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
I usually do play straights very fast - but usually it's a raised pot, or I'm in position, or it's heads-up, etc. I just felt like restraint was a good thing to do here - but I'm not sure why or if it was correct. I'm trying to figure out how the hand plays out if I check-raise the pot on the flop.

Just seems like it's going to be hard to win a big pot but easy to lose one playing fast on the flop here.

creedofhubris
02-09-2005, 07:27 PM
Unless EP and button both have sets, I can't imagine you being ahead.

Button missed his chance to raise big on the flop if he's got a set.

I would fold here.

gomberg
02-09-2005, 08:59 PM
Yeah,

I couldn't call that - the only thing I could imagine was that they might both have sets or something and I'd puke. Anyway, I fold after letting the timer run out, and the EP insta-calls with the nuts TJo. The button had 56o. Nice 3-way short-handed hand where we all flopped straights /images/graemlins/frown.gif