PDA

View Full Version : Poker's most basic rule

Brainwalter
02-08-2005, 08:42 AM
I just thought of this earlier. I'm not sure where it stands between asinine and enlightening.

Poker:
Whoever puts the most money in the pot wins it. In the event of a tie, the best hand wins.

Thoughts?

Brom
02-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Its good in its simplicity but wrong in ways. It's not just how much money you can dump into a pot, but the way in which it goes in. It also depends on what your opponent has obviously as it would be hard to push him off the nuts.

I like the saying though.

Brainwalter
02-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah, this is where the skill of knowing when showdowns will occur, and how often our cards rate to win in a showdown, and all the other skills come in. But as intricate as poker can be, I thought taking an algorithmic view of how each pot is decided could possibly provide some insight into its nature as primarily a betting game, with cards as a forum/medium.
FWIW..

axioma
02-08-2005, 11:36 AM
is the statement correct? yes.

is it usefull? no. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brainwalter
02-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Aww, shucks.

ZeeJustin
02-09-2005, 06:25 AM
Why is this even true? Winning a side pot is not the same as "winning the pot".

Brainwalter
02-09-2005, 07:05 AM
What side pot? Whoever puts more money than the other players in the pot, by making a bet that is not called, wins all the money that went into the pot at any time.

colgin
02-09-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just thought of this earlier. I'm not sure where it stands between asinine and enlightening.

Poker:
Whoever puts the most money in the pot wins it. In the event of a tie, the best hand wins.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I vote for asinine. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gigabet
02-09-2005, 01:08 PM
There is a saying that was on twodimes one day(they change it every day) "He who bets the most, wins the most. The cards just break even." Or something very similar to that.

SeattleJake
02-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Abdul Jalib had mentioned something that stood out in my mind:

A bet is worth at least 4 outs, often more.

I'm now under the theory that a bet is worth the unclaimed outs in a hand.

You don't just win by betting, but you do increase your odds.

MtDon
02-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Frankly, I vote for it being enlightening.

It's another way of saying that when you bet you have two ways of winning the pot: by having the best hand and by the other player(s) folding.

PokerFink
02-22-2005, 03:02 AM
I don't know if I would call it enlightening, but I think it's closer to that than asinine.

Poker is a betting game played with cards, not a card game played with betting. I think your statement is a good way of saying this.

Loci
02-22-2005, 04:42 PM
It's useful in it's own simplicity... sometimes when playing this game you need to step back and realize the complexity of simplicity.
A friend of mine was learning years ago (I was teaching him and four other guys at mini-micro stakes), and while he's not the brightest guy in the world, he does have a certain level of insight on occasion. They were college kids and had watched Rounders a few too many times, you know? Anyways, Joe had a bad streak. playing 25 cent max bets, he lost thirty dollars in about 15 minutes. Second best flush, second best full-house, etc... He stood up and looked at me with the most earnest eyes I've ever seen and said "I just lost all the money in my wallet because my little pieces of paper didn't have the right color and shape." He nodded once and walked out. It puts things in perspective.
It's thoughts like these that can keep a gambler from snapping mentally.
O.P.-Good qoute.
Ez

Al Mirpuri
02-25-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is the statement correct? yes.

is it usefull? no. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true of Sklansky's Fundamental Theorem Of Poker as well. Full marks to the originator of this thread.

Bluffoon
02-25-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Poker:

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!

How can we get party to run this slogan on the billboard in the lobby?

Reef
02-25-2005, 02:37 PM
I think this is a somewhat close theory

whoever has the highest proportion of taking bad beats to giving bad beats wins the most $ in the longrun

do you see why?

RiverDood
02-25-2005, 03:52 PM
I kinda like it. It has a goofy inanity to it -- much like the guy who used to do "Deep Thoughts" on Saturday Night Live a long time ago.

Just for the fun of it, I tried it out on our home game this week. Two things happened, one of which I totally expected . . . the other of which surprised me.

A) The loosest player at the table became even sloppier. He paid me off way too generously when I stumbled into a flopped straight, as he and his TPTK kept calling/raising me all the way to the river. That was fine. +EV for your little aphorism. Thanks!

B) The real rock at the table began playing hands she'd never tried before. We folded -- or she hit her draws . . . and instead of watching her conserve chips all night long, we saw her double her stack. Very worrisome -EV.

So what you've got there is a powerful laxative for low-stakes games. (I don't think anyone at a higher-stakes game will pay any heed.) Based on a one-evening sample, it's fine for coaxing passive players to share even more chips. But it's not the right medicine for every table.