PDA

View Full Version : some days, the only reason I'm ahead is that I bet so big...

creedofhubris
02-08-2005, 08:34 AM
My usual 2/5 game. Some new faces. I've been on vacation for a couple weeks, so I don't recognize everybody, and everybody doesn't recognize my tight/aggro ways. I'm having a bad day; another new player has been consistently outplaying me, outflopping my big hands, and bluffing me out of other pots (showing me his bluffs afterwards). Still, I've made a bit of a recovery by busting the player to my right, after I made a button raise with AJ, hit my J, and called his all-in check-raise with unimproved TT. Anyway, I've got him in my head as "desperate calling station". He is now the CO for this hand.

I'm on the button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. 4 limpers. I consider raising, then decide to just join the party.

Flop is:

6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

SB min-bets $5, CO calls, I make it $30, SB folds, CO calls.

Turn is

A /images/graemlins/club.gif

Great; I've tentatively put my opponent on the naked ace, and now he has a pair. He's never going to fold now, time to pot it.

Opponent checks, I bet $60, opponent calls.

River is 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

Opponent checks. I look hard at the board, at my hole cards, at the board again. I move my $1200 stack into the middle. Opponent pauses briefly, then moves his $460 stack into the middle.

Opponent shows down A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the flopped ace-high flush.

Moral of the story: if you hold the absolute nuts, and you think there is any chance your opponent holds the second nuts, you need to move in. Also, one-outers are the best kind of suckout.

creedofhubris
02-08-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Moral of the story: if you hold the absolute nuts, and you think there is any chance your opponent holds the second nuts, you need to move in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, that doesn't matter at all for this hand, since there was no way the money wasn't all going into the middle.

djoyce003
02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
nice hand...but really a pretty simple move here. What else is he staying in with here. He either has the lone ace like you thought, in which case he's always calling your bet, or he has nothing and he's folding anyway no matter how much you bet.

phil_ivey_fan
02-08-2005, 01:08 PM
what's your river plan if the river...

A) isn't a diamond. CO checks, you value bet? Do you call his CR?
B) is another diamond (not the 8). CO checks, you check behind figuring he's got the Ad?

elnino12
02-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Villain played this quite weak...I think his CR should've come on the turn to represent the lone A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif...especially since he probably put you on a set or a weaker flush. Oh well--nice hand, and nice suckout /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Nino

LuvDemNutz
02-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Creed -

I PMed you.

JihadOnTheRiver
02-08-2005, 03:24 PM
I think you're "moral of the story" is completely wrong. If you're constantly betting people out of pots with nut hands, you're not gonna end up with max profit in the long run. That's just scared poker. I do believe that he should have snuck a CR in there on the turn, as he knew you were way behind, but your pot bet committed you to further action. You sucked out in a big way, but I think he wasn't completely AFU on his line. How many times have you hit a flop like that and watched an entire table fold to your UTG pot bet?

-Durka Durka
Jihad

creedofhubris
02-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Yes, opponent clearly misplayed his nut flush by failing to raise somewhere along the line when I showed strength.

The point of flopping the nut flush is not to extract an extra pot's worth of income from opponents who are bluffing or weak by trapping them. It's to stack an opponent who has a *slightly* weaker hand. So when you flop a nut flush, it's possible that by slowplaying it you'll pick up a caller or bettor who hits trips or catches their fourth diamond to the king or a bluffer who will take a stab at the pot. But they'll be cautious and you won't make too much.

What you're really looking for is to get your stack in the middle against another flopped hand: a smaller flush, 2 pair, a set.

And the only way you can do that is by betting. With deep stacks, you can't lose the value that's possible if another opponent is slowplaying their "monster" as well, or if they are willing to protect their "vulnerable" hand from your "draw".

Sure, I'm not going to lead out UTG for the pot every time I flop a nut flush. But there can be a lot of value to betting big.