PDA

View Full Version : making a living without poker tracker? how could this be?

mike3076
02-08-2005, 04:42 AM
player notes-tag the fish(simple- calls too much , folds too much, folds to re raise,cant ever fold!)
then buddy list-finds the fish you made notes on.
as for tracking my play?
how much money do i have?
more than last month?
less than last month?am i going to make rent this month?
this folks is how i play for a living.
simple yet effective.-lol

Brainwalter
02-08-2005, 04:58 AM
way to go, but who cares? And what's your point?

MicroBob
02-08-2005, 05:08 AM
David Ross was playing without pokertracker for most (if not all) of his first year.
We finally ganged-up and convinced him to get it.

Another 2+2'er in his journal here admitted that he had never heard of the notes-expoert aspect... and I believe he 8-tables the 10/20 6-max and does quite well.

There was a thread in the general forum about how many do and don't use playerview/GT+ and the number of players who said they don't use it was pretty impressive.

It's obvious that people can without them.
But I think your denying yourself of some really helpful tools that can increase your win-rate if you don't use them.

stigmata
02-08-2005, 07:43 AM
My notes during gameplay are a ten times more useful than playerview. But the 10% extra I get from player view is still invaluable.

And PT is essential for tracking and improving my own game - e.g. How well am I doing at limit A compared to limit B? Has raising 77 in MP been profitable at 6-max tables? Am i defending my blinds too much?

These issues cannot be easily answered without PT.

Subby
02-08-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this folks is how i play for a living. simple yet effective.-lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Having the ability to observe a Party-skin table for 30 minutes before you sit down makes PT/GT+ pretty invaluable in my estimation. Without those tools, it takes at least two or three orbits to get reads on players. Having even 30 hands of data on your potential opponents is a nice edge - particularly if you are a fairly pedestrian player (like me!)

To each his own, however...

witeknite
02-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Do you live in the US? If so, I would recomend PT just for tax purposes if nothing else. You can easily export a list of your sessions and total the positive ones for you winnings and total the negative ones for you deductions. You are not allowed to net your winnings unless you file as a professional gambler. Even then, you need to have records incase you get audited.

WiteKnite

Belok
02-08-2005, 02:31 PM
This may help alot more at the higher limits, but the +EV is minimal at 2/4 and 3/6.

I have GT+ and pokertracker. Back when I just 4 tabled, i'd use them both and convince myself that it was an immense help...it really isnt. I have just recently started 12 tabling. Despite the fact that my computer is pretty new and fast as hell, 12 tables PT and GT+ are just too much to handle. So i stopped using them and would just import my hands after the session. WR has stayed the same.

One flaw that GT+ and notes on players has - Most of the players on there are trying to get better. The losing ones will try different things (and still end up losing, but they're trying) and notes end up describing their style from last week, but it could very well be different now. There are alot of people on party who have me labled as a fish... Not sure why, i was a winning player since i started, but notes can be wrong/change.

Analyzing each situation when you get it seems to be more effective for me than straight up stats.

StacysMom
02-08-2005, 03:22 PM
Basically, all theses self-rightous non PT users can stop posting. No one cares whatsoever. And I personally will never try to persuade them agian, they are just flushin EV down the toilet, and I think we should let them...

PoorLawyer
02-08-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, all theses self-rightous non PT users can stop posting. No one cares whatsoever. And I personally will never try to persuade them agian, they are just flushin EV down the toilet, and I think we should let them...

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could just not read the thread. What makes you think your view should be imparted on the rest of the world?

emonrad87
02-08-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could just not read the thread. What makes you think your view should be imparted on the rest of the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine. Keep posting and riding your high horse. In the mean time I will have mad reads on you and take your money!