PDA

View Full Version : spyware !!

rt1
02-08-2005, 04:25 AM
so, somehow today my computer got jacked by spyware. I was letting a friend use it and who knows what happened. I use firefox as my browser, but maybe he was running IE. Anyway, I just spent the last 2 hours scanning and playing with my settings. I think I got everything removed, but I would like to know if there is anything else I should do.

1) System start up scan of spy bot
2) system start up scan of ad-aware
3) played with msconfig and removed all startup items i didnt know
4) system scan with cwshredder
5) re scanned everything, nothing found.

am i good? anything else i should be doing?

ChoicestHops
02-08-2005, 04:28 AM
Im running Windows XP.. and I use SpyBot, Ad-Aware SE, and the somewhat new Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta. Im always afraid that one of the programs will miss something.

The main thing you should be worrying about are trojans!

BusterStacks
02-08-2005, 04:29 AM
use the new microsoft thing, its REALLY good. I hate M$ ... but it's the nuts.

Freakin
02-08-2005, 04:30 AM
Save yourself some trouble...

First, make a system restore point of right now

Then, do a system restore from sometime before today. They don't always work, so keep picking dates until you get one that works. That how I kill all my spware after friends/family fux0r my machine. It's the cleanest way I've found.

Freakin

Freakin
02-08-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
use the new microsoft thing, its REALLY good. I hate M$ ... but it's the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yeah, this is true too. If for some reason you can't find a working system restore point (or if it wasn't a particular instance that screwed you over) then this program kills everything, and has active protection.

Freakin

rt1
02-08-2005, 04:33 AM
wow nice.. i am going to go search for this app,

umm... lets just say my windows xp sp2 version might not be legit... is this going to be a problem?

ChoicestHops
02-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Most likely. You must verify your Windows Authentication when downloading the beta.. so it's up to you.

rt1
02-08-2005, 04:40 AM
i just started DLing it without verification (gave me the option to skip). ill let you know if install works.

rt1
02-08-2005, 04:57 AM
ok, i ran the MS tool and it found a few things... comp has been running strong with no problems. I think the reason this happened was because the partypoker app uses IE for its links, even thou i have firefox set as my browser.

does anyone know how to a) disable ie, or b) fix party to use ff.

Thanks!

Mano
02-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I had a problem with some spyware that was redirecting me to carribeangold website whenever a site had "poker" or gambling related word in it. Had to go to the tools/Internet options tab in Internet Explorer, then select "Programs" tab and click on the "Manage Add-ons..." button and disable some stuff.