PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you dont.

RockPile
02-08-2005, 04:11 AM
Any guesses? Did I play this correctly? I had no reads, this was the first hand I played at this table.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

River: (18 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 26 BB

bigredlemon
02-08-2005, 04:16 AM
I never feel comfortable capping without the nuts (barring straight flushes and quads), so i'd be weary of capping two streets with the sucker straight. Given you have a 5 though, it seems like you're probably ahead more often than not. I'd imagine most people will cap it both streets?

DeathDonkey
02-08-2005, 04:38 AM
I hope you lost as punishment for slowplaying. For the love of God raise the flop!

-DeathDonkey

jaxUp
02-08-2005, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hope you lost as punishment for slowplaying. For the love of God raise the flop!

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Harsh.... Actually, now that I think of it, I hope you lose too.

Bulbarainey
02-08-2005, 06:29 AM
i like it, but i think i would have raised the flop and probably called his raise on the river - with that much aggression im thinking 56

jon_keck
02-08-2005, 07:11 AM
I fold preflop. Bet the flop - going for a check-raise is forgivable, but passing on that opportunity here is --EV. Turn looks good. Absent reads I find it difficult to not 3-bet the river.

edit: Your river play could be much easier to figure out if you go agro on the flop.

JordanIB
02-08-2005, 10:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost by slowplaying? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

C'mon people, think.

The only hand that's beating him here is 56. And if someone's got it, he was beat on the flop; the turn and river are irrelevant. And something tells me 56 wasn't folding to a flop raise.

Geez...

Edit: It's early in the morning. I may have just overreacted to what was meant as a sarcastic post. If that's the case, my apologies. If not, then WTF are you posting?

IsaacW
02-08-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And something tells me 56 wasn't folding to a flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
But that is no reason to check/call the cheap street instead of trying to find out where your non-nut hand is sitting and getting some bets in while you're ahead. I would bet/3bet this flop and lead the turn regardless of whether someone else capped it, unless I have them pegged as a nut-peddler (but then why are they playing 65?!). On this flop there are a lot more hands that we beat (two pair, set, top pair) than hands that beat us (65).

If my turn bet is raised, I slow down but I'm not sure that's correct. I still make a lot of those kinds of mistakes (slowing down too early, missing value bets on the river, etc.).

JordanIB
02-08-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And something tells me 56 wasn't folding to a flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
But that is no reason to check/call the cheap street instead of trying to find out where your non-nut hand is sitting and getting some bets in while you're ahead. I would bet/3bet this flop and lead the turn regardless of whether someone else capped it, unless I have them pegged as a nut-peddler (but then why are they playing 65?!). On this flop there are a lot more hands that we beat (two pair, set, top pair) than hands that beat us (65).

If my turn bet is raised, I slow down but I'm not sure that's correct. I still make a lot of those kinds of mistakes (slowing down too early, missing value bets on the river, etc.).

[/ QUOTE ]

I never advocated not raising. I was simply saying that chastising the OP for slowplaying, and thus hoping he lost. Bottom line being if he's facing the nuts, he's losing the hand whether he slow plays or not.

jaxUp
02-08-2005, 10:35 AM
Haha. Mine was sarcastic (perhaps an emoticon would have helped the tone) and I'm pretty sure his was too.

k000k
02-08-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i like it, but i think i would have raised the flop and probably called his raise on the river - with that much aggression im thinking 56

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of hands out there that'll get real aggro on that board. 22, 33, 44, 99, 43/images/graemlins/club.gif, another A5, and ya, 65.. But not JUST 65. After that turn, on the river I'm getting a little nervous about it, I think just calling the first river raise is a fine idea.

Dead
02-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Did you win?

dinero2433
02-08-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold preflop. Bet the flop - going for a check-raise is forgivable, but passing on that opportunity here is --EV. Turn looks good. Absent reads I find it difficult to not 3-bet the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You fold suited aces out of position, huh. Maybe I'm retarded, but I'll call with that hand under the gun, and fold to a 3-bet if that gets back to me, or if there was a raise and no callers.

At a loose table, which we all play at, you'll often get people cold calling a single raise with marginal holdings. It's not uncommon that there will be six players to the flop after a raise from middle/early position! If/when your nut flush draw hits, the pot is going to be huge, and you only paid one/two bets to get there. Your ace will be outkicked often by a preflop raiser, but people raise with KQ and KJs as well.

Am I way off base here?

k000k
02-08-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You fold suited aces out of position, huh. Maybe I'm retarded, but I'll call with that hand under the gun, and fold to a 3-bet if that gets back to me, or if there was a raise and no callers.

At a loose table, which we all play at, you'll often get people cold calling a single raise with marginal holdings. It's not uncommon that there will be six players to the flop after a raise from middle/early position! If/when your nut flush draw hits, the pot is going to be huge, and you only paid one/two bets to get there. Your ace will be outkicked often by a preflop raiser, but people raise with KQ and KJs as well.

Am I way off base here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Axs is perfectly playable from any position in most .5/1 games. Unless the game is particularly tight and/or aggressive, which most .5/1 games are not. if it was a 1/2 game I'd muck it.

RockPile
02-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Sorry for the long delay in getting back to everyone here.. yes the Villain had 56 and took it down.

Thinking about it now if I had went aggro on this hand on the flop it would just have been the 2 of us left and I may have called it down which would probably have been the better move.
Slowplaying didnt give me any clues as to what the other guy had until it was too late.
Thoughts?

bottomset
02-09-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost by slowplaying? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

C'mon people, think.

The only hand that's beating him here is 56. And if someone's got it, he was beat on the flop; the turn and river are irrelevant. And something tells me 56 wasn't folding to a flop raise.

Geez...

Edit: It's early in the morning. I may have just overreacted to what was meant as a sarcastic post. If that's the case, my apologies. If not, then WTF are you posting?

[/ QUOTE ]

uh slowplaying in a 6way pot is wrong almost all the time, and almost a 100% wrong here, you just cost yourself bets doing this

yes there is nothing you can do if 56 is out, but giving 44,33,22, Ax, 6x, 78 all a free shot at beating you isn't good, your hand is relatively vulnerable you can't be timid here

RockPile
02-09-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

uh slowplaying in a 6way pot is wrong almost all the time, and almost a 100% wrong here, you just cost yourself bets doing this

yes there is nothing you can do if 56 is out, but giving 44,33,22, Ax, 6x, 78 all a free shot at beating you isn't good, your hand is relatively vulnerable you can't be timid here

[/ QUOTE ]

so i learned the hard lesson...