PDA

View Full Version : The Hazards of 8 Tabling

Irieguy
02-08-2005, 04:00 AM
I decided to mix in a few steps with my regular SNGs tonight. Since I was going to be 8-tabling, I just thought I'd play some $12 steps for kicks.

The most challenging part of 8-tabling for me is getting all 8 tables started... so I should have been more careful.

I had 7 going, but one of the steps was taking a long time to fill. We finally got 9 players, but it was taking way longer than normal to fill the last seat. Finally I took a closer look and saw that it was a Step 5.

"If you leave now, your tournament fee will be refunded. Are you sure you want to leave?"

In my haste I knocked my trackball mouse off of my lap and the ball came out and rolled under the desk. I had a Heineken in my hand, so I could only move so fast without risking a spill. I decided that securing the Heineken first would be the best course of action. I set it on the desk. Whew.

I managed to get the ball back into the mouse in time to unregister... but I have to be honest: a part of me was hoping that I wouldn't be able to unregister in time. As I contemplated the severity of my psychosis, I realized that I had timed out on 3 of my SNG screens, watching pocket aces dissappear into the dealer tray in one of them.

What do normal people do for entertainment?

Irieguy

ilya
02-08-2005, 04:05 AM
Great vignette Irie...but for sweet Jesus's sake, why are you using a trackball mouse?!

Irieguy
02-08-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Great vignette Irie...but for sweet Jesus's sake, why are you using a trackball mouse?!

[/ QUOTE ]

So that I can play 8 tables while reclining in my papasan chair with the trackball in my lap on a pillow and a Heineken in my other hand.

This suggestion was given to me by Lacky, and it has added years to my career. Prior to this I was developing distal phalangeal tendonitis. Now I can navigate 8 screens using only the pads of my proximal phalanges. Schweeeeeeeeet.

Irieguy

SuitedSixes
02-08-2005, 04:19 AM
I've played three-handed on 4 tables while changing a diaper . . . and not the kind of diaper you can wait until after the tournament is over either.

ilya
02-08-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So that I can play 8 tables while reclining in my papasan chair with the trackball in my lap on a pillow and a Heineken in my other hand.

This suggestion was given to me by Lacky, and it has added years to my career. Prior to this I was developing distal phalangeal tendonitis. Now I can navigate 8 screens using only the pads of my proximal phalanges. Schweeeeeeeeet.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

You need this baby:

Good mouse (http://www.gyration.com/ultra.htm)

Irieguy
02-08-2005, 04:30 AM
Looks awesome, have you used it? I'd be worried about how easy it is to slide the bet bar precisely.

Irieguy

SuitedSixes
02-08-2005, 04:36 AM
Do you play 100% by trackball? No keyboard? How do you type, "nice rivr losr?" I don't have the skilled hands of a surgeon, but I'm not horribly efficiently accurate with the slider using a normal mouse.

mungpo
02-08-2005, 04:37 AM
Reminds me of the time when I almost played a $215 sng. I clicked on, what I thought was a $11 sng, but the abnormal time it took for the game to fill wasn't right. Usually, a $11 sng fills up in less than 20 secs. Best refund I ever made.

lacky
02-08-2005, 04:49 AM
the whole point for me was not needing to move anything but my fingertips. The gyro still requires the whole mouse to be moved. I developed severe repetative motion pains in my elbow and wrist and the trackball was the solution. 8 tabling fulltime requires many thousands of clicks a day. The fingers are much better suited to that type of constant motion. Anyway, solved a serious problem for me.

Steve

AleoMagus
02-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Reminds me of the first $108 SNG I ever played... This was way back when they were still $108 and were the biggest SNGs party offered.

I entered what I thought was a $11 only to find myself in a tourney ten times bigger than anything I had ever played. I was kicking myself after losing a big hand early, when as the shortstack with 8 players remaining, Party crashed (as it would do occasionally back in the day).

A few hours later, Party refunded the remaining 8 players the $1000 in entries (and I think even the $8 vig) which netted me a sweet $25. AAhhhhhhhhhhh

Regards
Brad S

AtticusFinch
02-08-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one won't let you recline on your papasan, but it did halt the progress of carpal tunnel syndrome for me, and works fine with the sliders: http://www.ergodirect.net/browseproducts/Evoluent-Vertical-Mouse.html

I highly recommend it to anyone having RS problems. (I hate trackballs)

J-Lo
02-08-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This one won't let you recline on your papasan, but it did halt the progress of carpal tunnel syndrome for me, and works fine with the sliders: http://www.ergodirect.net/browseproducts/Evoluent-Vertical-Mouse.html

I highly recommend it to anyone having RS problems. (I hate trackballs)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the best solution is a Laptop w/ a touchpad or a trackstick. I have an IBM T41 and i can 4 table on the 1400x1050 screen just fine. The best part about it is i can lie on my bed, or sit on my toilet and dominate 4 tables at once.

Mr_J
02-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I play poker on my bed. I could use the touch pad (better for your hand) just that the mouse is faster and more accurate.

Sometimes I set up on the balcony (summer here with a sea breeze).

skipperbob
02-08-2005, 03:21 PM
I picked a helluva week to give up drinking and Iriebashing

Seadood228
02-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Good thing I don't play anything other than the 30s, and now I have good reason not to mix limits while multitabling.

I have mistakenly played in about 20 $30 Stud, Omaha HiLo, LHE, and PLHE SNGs though. The sad part is that my ROI in those is more than double the NLHE SNGs..

Seadood228/Gambooln

AtticusFinch
02-08-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good thing I don't play anything other than the 30s, and now I have good reason not to mix limits while multitabling.

I have mistakenly played in about 20 $30 Stud, Omaha HiLo, LHE, and PLHE SNGs though. The sad part is that my ROI in those is more than double the NLHE SNGs..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the worst for misclicks. I probably play 1 LHE tourney out of 6 or 7 just because of them. I hate limit, and suck at it, so my ROI there is, shall we say, not so good. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

ilya
02-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I haven't used it to play. I have tried it out hands-on in a store, though, and the control seemed as precise as with a regular optical mouse....I just couldn't justify the $80 price tag to myself b/c regular mice don't bother my wrists.

J-Lo
02-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Alright, i just tried 4 tabling on a 1600x1200 screen and i love it... So i'm gona hafta invest in some new equpment. First the computer, i have a computer a 3 year old computer that will play party/stars/etc games just fine. It has a good vid card w/ DVI. But i need a new monitor, the CRT just won't do. so i'm looking at the Dell 2001FP. It's a 20" LCD w/ a native resolution of 1600x1200. Anyone got any recomendations on a better/ better bang for the buck LCD (must be 1600x1200)? (CRT's give me a headache after lookin at 'em for more than 2 hours at that high a resolutoin)

Now i like the idea of a trackball, I have read some reviews on CNET for a corded trackball, here is the link http://reviews.cnet.com/4545-3150_7-1962678.html?tag=tab

but i was lookin into the idea of a cordless trackball mouse, the last logitech cordless mouse i had was awesome. (700mx) So i like the idea of reclining back w/o a cord and watching a mounted 20" LCD. I think that is all the hardware i will need. Does anyone have any inputs for anything else i will need, or recomendations on things they like to use? I will not be 8 tabling, because i still need to learn 4-tabling first.

SuitedSixes
02-09-2005, 12:43 AM
The Internet forum always has almost daily discussions the best deals on the Dell 2001FP.

Anyone know of a good source for specialized office furniture. I currently have my computers in an L shape, with one in front and one on the right, but would like to come up with something more efficient, like stacking my keyboards and mouses (this is correct) on two seperate layers (like an organist) and stacking the monitors, but with the mammoth CRT this is impossible with my current desk.

Seadood228
02-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Sounds like a pretty mean setup J-Lo. And as far as the monitors go, I don't think you can find a better deal than the Dell. Also if you plan on using this as primarily for poker, I'd say go with the older 2001 Dell. If I'm not mistaken it's a true 16X12 and the 2005 is not.

One more thing, and this may be trivial. If you ever plan on going with a 2 monitor setup, you might want to invest in a VGA card that has 2 DVI outputs. IMO, there is a noticable difference in the quality of display when you have a VGA card with 1 DVI and 1 VGA output..

But that might be thinking in advance /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyhow good luck with your search.

Seadood228/Gambooln